Sponsored by:

Saga of deposit and cancelled order...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

like cosmos said, in CA, unless you drove the car off the lot, EVERYTHING and ANYTHING is refundable. maybe u can mention to them about porsche board called rennlist and their reputation will be gone.

btw, stead porsche isn't bad. those who got screwed should tell the owner who the sales person that made the promise to you. make sure he gets seared.

despite the law stating that deposits are refundable, it's usually a hassle to get it back (for me a call lasting more than 2 min. is a big hassle. afterall, i need all my spare time on rennlist). i never put more than 500 on any car as deposit. if they dont trust my intention, i have no interest in doing business with them either.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:23 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave: Does that mean that Mark is no longer at Michael. He was great to work with! And NO ONE would match his deals in my experience. Your experience is the antithesis of mine.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:35 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Mark is no longer with Michael Porsche...apparently left the dealership around May/June of this year, which is shortly after I ordered the car.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
But all's fair in love and war in this game and I do expect a higher level of service with these cars. These are high end cars, not Cheveys.
Interesting you say that, Because when we bought our GMC a few years ago, they had no problem returning our deposit - and of course there would have been a test drive of the ordered vehicle to be sure that there were no issues. Having said that, they were more than happy to try and find us a car matching our specifications and in fact did at another dealership across town: We ended up buying it that way and our ordered car went right on the lot. Our deposit was returned. And I'm sure the dealership we bought from gave the other a bird dog.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave, sorry to hear that Mark left. It sounds as if he treated you well and thr "dealership" stepped in and is trying to screw you over. For those who are interested, I'll relate my experience with the former Porsche Sales Mgr. at Michael Porsche in Fresno, CA. The Porsche Store is but one of several stores in the Michael Automotive group.

When I was looking for a "deal" on a new Cayenne, the best I could do was a $5K discount off MSRP (IRA Porsche in Mass), until I came accross KevinM on the Cay forum. KevinM was a huge help to me, as a newbie at the time. He suggested Mark at Michael Porsche in Fresno (3 hrs drive from me), who I phoned, never met. I asked Mark what he would discount a Cay TT and he said none because they were hot at that time (3 yrs ago). I asked about Cay S and Mark asked what I had in mind to pay. I said I wanted invoice-plus pricing and thought $1-to-$2K over invoice was fair. He responded to my statement by offering $700 over invoice. I purchased a fully (and I mean fully) loaded Cay S which proved to be over $10K off MSRP at a time when the best I could do in my area (half dozen dealers) was about $2K off MSRP.

Mark arranged for the windows to be tinted (by a close-by tint shop), the rear valence to be changed to TT style and lowers and grill painted (by a body shop of my selection), clear sides installed (by Mark's guys) and several other efforts on their part. All of this was initiated over the phone/fax with only a $1K refundable deposit.

I first appeared at the store when I came in to pick up the car, and, at that time, first met Mark. Needless to say Mark made the deal and the dealership benefited as I "returned" (by eMail) for a 997 this Spring. In April Mark offered a MY07 997 C4S Cab at $7,500 over invoice for July delivery, which I "ordered." That pricing, with X-51 and the options I wanted was about $10K off of MSRP. All of you know what your own purchase point was for comparison.

I subsequently declined to discontinue the purchase just as I was to send a $5K deposit (because I decided I would keep my 993 Cab until DSG is available). Mark was easy to work with, although tough to get ahold of on the phone, and a decent, fair guy.

That's my Michael Porsche story which I infer is close to Dave's - except I didn't have to contend with a dealership that foolishly let a good guy leave and in so doing lost at least two sales.

Thanks to all of the 997 crew on this forum for immeasurable insight and help. Guess I need a new store to deal with. Colm, I guess it will be SC Porsche.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:49 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Interesting you say that, Because when we bought our GMC a few years ago, they had no problem returning our deposit - and of course there would have been a test drive of the ordered vehicle to be sure that there were no issues. Having said that, they were more than happy to try and find us a car matching our specifications and in fact did at another dealership across town: We ended up buying it that way and our ordered car went right on the lot. Our deposit was returned. And I'm sure the dealership we bought from gave the other a bird dog.
Okay Ford then. I had a Expedition once. It tried to kill me on several occasions. Only all the people that just got laid off hate Ford more than I do.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Oh please, this forum isn't a dress shop, sewing circle, or candy shop.

Can we leave the bathrobe, coffee cup clutching wives, standing in the middle of the cul-de-sac out of this and just talk some cars here?

And your shameless bash on GM is uncalled for and hurt my feelings:

[Thank you kindly,

Dog

I was not aware that stating a fact constitutes " shameless bashing".
And, as you point out, since you do not consider this forum to be a dress shop, sewing circle or candy shop, why were your feelings hurt , even if it had been ?

As for the rest of your statements, I'm not surprised that foul language does not offend you .
As was pointed out , I am not a moderator on this site, nor do I wish to be one.
But if you grant someone the right to use expressions which belong in the gutter, then you should also grant me the right to voice my objection.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sorry,but I am thinking that if you custom order a car you should loose your deposit.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:03 PM
lazlo9
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
like cosmos said, in CA, unless you drove the car off the lot, EVERYTHING and ANYTHING is refundable. maybe u can mention to them about porsche board called rennlist and their reputation will be gone.

btw, stead porsche isn't bad. those who got screwed should tell the owner who the sales person that made the promise to you. make sure he gets seared.

despite the law stating that deposits are refundable, it's usually a hassle to get it back (for me a call lasting more than 2 min. is a big hassle. afterall, i need all my spare time on rennlist). i never put more than 500 on any car as deposit. if they dont trust my intention, i have no interest in doing business with them either.

Does this include private sales? A couple months ago i agreed to purchase a car from a non-dealer (but professional) and gave a $1,000 deposit. that night my circumstances changed so I called right away to tell him I needed to cancel. He told me that since I signed the hand writen deal that says "non-refundable" he was keeping the deposit. Is this legal or does california law trump the paperwork?

thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 01:53 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger
And, as you point out, since you do not consider this forum to be a dress shop, sewing circle or candy shop, why were your feelings hurt , even if it had been ?

As for the rest of your statements, I'm not surprised that foul language does not offend you .
As was pointed out , I am not a moderator on this site, nor do I wish to be one.
But if you grant someone the right to use expressions which belong in the gutter, then you should also grant me the right to voice my objection.
Please listen to the song "Screw You I'm from Texas" as a subsitute for this post.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:10 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger

Mr. Stumberger, you really didn't hurt my feelings with the GM comment. I was being sarcastic. And while GM did in fact lose money, I seriously doubt that providing OnStar for one year with their cars is the root cause of their losses, so your "fact" is suspect at best.

You're not surprised that the language wouldn't offend me? I could care less what you are surprised about or not. You don't know me, so don't judge me.

And I don't care if you voice your objections, or whatever, just be prepared for the counter arguments, banter and other rhetoric.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:38 PM
unklekraker
Racer

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
Please listen to the song "Screw You I'm from Texas" as a subsitute for this post.
been lurking on this thread since beginning, now it's my turn to comment....

You da man, ChipAZ! ahahahahaha!
Old 09-15-2006, 03:22 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Old 09-15-2006, 03:32 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want my deposit back or else!!!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Mr. Stumberger, you really didn't hurt my feelings with the GM comment. I was being sarcastic. And while GM did in fact lose money, I seriously doubt that providing OnStar for one year with their cars is the root cause of their losses, so your "fact" is suspect at best.

And I don't care if you voice your objections, or whatever, just be prepared for the counter arguments, banter and other rhetoric.

I am glad I did not hurt your feelings( I never intended to )
And I would think that it was fairly obvious that my GM remark was intended as a cynical reply to an idiotic statement as well .

It is sad that some people cannot form an intelligent sentence to make their point , without having to resort to profanities.

Speaking of which , I am now prepared to hear your "counter argument" in favor of using them . Or do you believe that reasonably rational people can discuss issues in a more civil way even if they disagree ?

Quick Reply: Saga of deposit and cancelled order...