Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saga of deposit and cancelled order...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 03:40 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In California they have to refund the deposit. This is total nonsense, just tell them to have a check ready for you and if they don't file a complaint with the AG's office. I had a deposit at Santa Barbara Porsche, Rusnak and Michael Stead for the TT and a GT3. I ended finding a car for immediate delivery and all three dealers cheerfully returned my deposits...

I was working with Chris Bartz over at Michael Stead and I felt he was one of the best salesmen I have ever dealt with at a Porsche dealership. Next time around, I wouldn't hesitate to buy or order a car from Chris.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PTpeecar
Why all this dumping on the dealer ?
a customer walks into a dealership and custom orders a vehicle, built to his or her specifications. for whatever reason the customer cancels and the dealer is stuck with a car that was ordered to specification and they now have to find a buyer that shares your taste.
imho, which I'm sure will not be popular, is that the dealer is entitled to at least a deposit.
if I was running things, a customer that custom orders a car should be responsible for taking delivery of the car and finding his own damm buyer.
I run a business, and anyone that orders something stock is welcome to return it for a full refund.
however, place a custom order for a non stock item or have it made to your specification and you own it.
this concept that the buyer is always right is some leftover naderism.
My business is strictly make to order to customer drawings and specifications, so I am very familiar with "non cancellable and non returnable". But I disagree with you. This is a car, and it is not a unique item that becomes unmarketable in the event the original buyer decides not to take delivery. It is clearly resaleable.

And after being in business 38 years, I can't remember the last argument I won with a customer.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<if a dealer makes you happy you come back>
Agreed, but at some point a customer becomes more trouble than he is worth.
I've learned that you are better off concentrating your time and efforts on those customers that appreciate and work _with_ you. Those that are never happy, complain constantly, and try to beat you down to the ground on every deal are best sent to the competition

Yeah, there are some people that just make trouble and dealers are human too.

But all's fair in love and war in this game and I do expect a higher level of service with these cars. These are high end cars, not Cheveys. We pay a lot money for Porsche's becuse we love to drive, not just to get from A to B. So when we walk away angry, we have long memories.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:46 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

But all's fair in love and war in this game .[/QUOTE]

I just don't agree with that. Anyone who is in business for themself for long enough knows two things

1) It is not a war. Deals are no good unless both sides get what they want
2) Some deals (or business) are not worth making (doing).

So no, "all's fair" doesn't work for either side.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

< So when we walk away angry, we have long memories>
so, the chevy guy is so used to getting kicked in life that he just takes it and keeps coming back for more ?
we spend recreational dollars so you'd better do whatever it takes to keep us happy, or we walk out , pissed , and for good measure scream and whine all over the internet.
I forget...what's the difference between a porcupine and a porsche driver ?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
In California they have to refund the deposit. This is total nonsense, just tell them to have a check ready for you and if they don't file a complaint with the AG's office. .....

If that is true, why bother signing a contract that apparently is not worth the paper it's written on ?
I'm not from California, but what applies to the buyer should also apply to the seller .
Lets reverse the situation .
Suppose you order a car and give the dealer a deposit. The scheduled delivery date is in six months.
After waiting five months,someone walks into the showroom and asks the dealer if he is expecting a delivery soon. He then tells the dealer he would pay him $5000 over your contract , for "your" car.
The dealer agrees and returns your deposit in the mail , with a note informing you that the sale is cancelled.

How would YOU react ? And would that be OK under California law as well ?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger
If that is true, why bother signing a contract that apparently is not worth the paper it's written on ?
I'm not from California, but what applies to the buyer should also apply to the seller .
Suppose you order a car and give the dealer a deposit. The scheduled delivery date is in six months.
After waiting five months,someone walks into the showroom and asks the dealer if he is expecting a delivery soon. He then tells the dealer he would pay him $5000 over your contract , for "your" car.
The dealer agrees and returns your deposit in the mail , with a note informing you that the sale is cancelled.

Agreed that would be outrageous, but it's Apples/oranges. The original poster indicated that the dealer did not provide the goods more than a month after date promised. A one-week delay I could live with..or extraordinary circumstances e.g.,hurricane impeded transatlantic voyage. But four, five, six weeks late-- and it's not a custom color-to-sample situation.... sorry, dealer should dispense with the pettiness and give the man his deposit.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by Carbon_Ted
Agreed that would be outrageous, but it's Apples/oranges. The original poster indicated that the dealer did not provide the goods more than a month after date promised. A one-week delay I could live with..or extraordinary circumstances e.g.,hurricane impeded transatlantic voyage. But four, five, six weeks late-- and it's not a custom color-to-sample situation.... sorry, dealer should dispense with the pettiness and give the man his deposit.

I agree and if I were the dealer, I would.
However :
1.The contract states it is in effect for ONE YEAR. No delivery date was stipulated ( other than perhaps verbally) and we all know that at the time of signing, there was no way the dealer would know when the car would be delivered .
2. DaveI ( the buyer ) even agreed to pay any manufacturers price increase,without the opportunity to cancel .
( That was the ONLY reason I could cancel and get my non-refundable deposit back . Which by the way was a lot more than $1000)

Finally, I think it was extremely unwise for Dave I to publicly state that one week before he cancelled the order he had this great opportunity to purchase a GT 3 . Perhaps that was more reason than to wait another month for delivery?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:11 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

So when did this turn into the dealer's whining tread?

1. If a dealer screws you, **** em. You go somewhere else. It's the dealer that has to earn your business, not the other way around. Same thing when your buying your polo pony.

2. If a dealer screws you post the situation so others can learn where not to go. Consumers revenge, you bet! You read more treads around here about problems that can't be fixed, than I want to give my dealer a big kiss.

Porsche builds the best cars I've ever owned, but I am still waiting for them to put a phone in my Cayenne. Took a month to get the parts, now they have the wrong parts. Who's fault is that? The dealer? The company? It ain't mine.

Chevy users get a free on star phone that comes with every car. That doesn't cost 5 Grand. So one point for GM.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by ChipAZ

1. If a dealer screws you, **** em. You go somewhere else. It's the dealer that has to earn your business, not the other way around. Same thing when your buying your polo pony.

2Chevy users get a free on star phone that comes with every car. That doesn't cost 5 Grand. So one point for GM.

1. I thought this thread was about an adult of sound mind entering into a contract , with full knowledge of it's content and meaning.

2. So who stopped you from buying a Chevy with the free phone ?
(Maybe if they charged for it , they would not have lost $ 8 billion last year)

And please contol your language . It's not appropriate for a public web site
( kids are here too )
Old 09-14-2006, 10:11 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Rolf, your point is well taken, however, in California the law is on the side of the consumer, the deposit is refundable. The cars are resaleable, no damage to the dealers. You may not like it, but that is the way it works here.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:19 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

1. I thought this thread was about an adult of sound mind entering into a contract , with full knowledge of it's content and meaning.

2. So who stopped you from buying a Chevy with the free phone ?
(Maybe if they charged for it , they would not have lost $ 8 billion last year)

And please contol your language . It's not appropriate for a public web site
( kids are here too )
Oh please, this forum isn't a dress shop, sewing circle, or candy shop.

Can we leave the bathrobe, coffee cup clutching wives, standing in the middle of the cul-de-sac out of this and just talk some cars here?

And your shameless bash on GM is uncalled for and hurt my feelings:

Thank you kindly,

Dog
Old 09-14-2006, 10:20 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

2. If a dealer screws you post the situation so others can learn where not to go. Consumers revenge, you bet! You read more treads around here about problems that can't be fixed, than I want to give my dealer a big kiss.

Porsche builds the best cars I've ever owned, but I am still waiting for them to put a phone in my Cayenne. Took a month to get the parts, now they have the wrong parts. Who's fault is that? The dealer? The company? It ain't mine.

Chevy users get a free on star phone that comes with every car. That doesn't cost 5 Grand. So one point for GM.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:22 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

I'M not the only one who uses that kind of language on this board, pictures of girls, etc. Your not a moderator, if one wants to contact me, I'll listen. But not to you. It's not your board anymore than it's mine.

It's your confrontational attitude that inspired my posts to begin with, along with some others. On most car message boards this goes on all the time. Make a snide comment about an other's post, be prepared to get one back. So get over it.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:26 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I'M not the only one who uses that kind of language on this board, pictures of girls, etc. Your not a moderator, if one wants to contact me, I'll listen. But not to you. It's not your board anymore than it's mine.

It's your confrontational attitude that inspired my posts to begin with, along with some others. On most car message boards this goes on all the time. Make a snide comment about an other's post, be prepared to get one back. So get over it.
Exactly why I went mental, the guy has a crappy attitude.

Quick Reply: Saga of deposit and cancelled order...