Sponsored by:

letter to PCNA and a question for the lawyers on this board

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 11:49 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default letter to PCNA and a question for the lawyers on this board

I sent PCNA’s President a short letter yesterday outlining the first 18 months of 997 ownership: 14 visits to the dealer for everything from electrical maladies to a failed engine (this was on the 3rd visit and they ended up replacing it). I also attached a copy of all the service invoices and a re-cap of each visit/problem.

In short, I suggested that had Porsche known the problems that this car would have, it would not have delivered it. And if he, the PCNA President, had been assigned this car, he would’ve returned it.

In any case, we’ll see how they reply. Should their reply be inadequate, I have a question for the lawyers: As this car is leased and I am not the “owner”, can I take legal action against Porsche? Or, do I have to I have to work through the leasing company? (The car is leased through Porsche Financial.) Thanks.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:11 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through this with a Mercedes. I had an E-55 that was just a disaster. There were many failings with that model in 03 and I think your problem is different, you just got a bad one. But these car companies just really don't stand behind problem cars. Many people save and save to buy their dream car which turns into a nightmare, only to have their problems fall on deaf ears.

God forbid that the dealer or the company should lose a dime. If they don't respond get a lawyer and do the lemon law. Also post your plight on this board along with the dealer's name. So we can be advised on who not to do business with.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:12 PM
jcf7
Pro

Chip, do you think the dealer is at fault? They've been great at serving the car and have involved the Porsche rep. That said, they just worked on one problem at a time, not in the global context that the car is indeed a "lemon". I also used two dealers for the repairs, the one I leased it from and one close to my office.

I question if I can take legal action re the lemon law if I don't own the car, the leasing company does. In any case, if PCNA does not respond in 10 days, I will send the package to a lawyer and see what he says.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:13 PM

Are you past your State's lemon law period? If not, check for the total days out of service vs. what your State's requirements are. The lemon law is the best way to proceed if you are able.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by jcf7
Chip, do you think the dealer is at fault? They've been great at serving the car and have involved the Porsche rep. That said, they just worked on one problem at a time, not in the global context that the car is indeed a "lemon". I also used two dealers for the repairs, the one I leased it from and one close to my office.

I question if I can take legal action re the lemon law if I don't own the car, the leasing company does. In any case, if PCNA does not respond in 10 days, I will send the package to a lawyer and see what he says.
In most states leasing is not an issue with regard to lemon law claims, the time in which you have to file the claim appears to be the most sensitive issue in your case.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

You did not buy the car in Scottsdale did you?? My neighbor had a midnight blue one that he gave back because it shut off on him while driving on hwy several times.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:18 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Someone should give you a new car. Lease or otherwise. 14 trips to the dealer and the car still isn't right. My guess is they won't unless you force the issue.

It's a bitch. I wonder if your car was built during Octoberfest.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:33 PM
jcf7
Pro

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
Someone should give you a new car. Lease or otherwise. 14 trips to the dealer and the car still isn't right. My guess is they won't unless you force the issue.

It's a bitch. I wonder if your car was built during Octoberfest.
Funny you mention Octoberfest; my car was built in November '05. I agree with you that I may have to force the issue.

I am over the lemon law mileage limit of 24k, I have 39k. Although, I am within the time constraints, and it appears that if the problem continued through the mileage limit I may have a chance to fall within the lemon law guidelines. I thought it best to send the letter myself first, thinking that I can always go to a lawyer if I am unhappy with PCNA's response.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:37 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I forced the issue on my bmw dealera number of years ago. About 6 visits for CEL's in the first 3 months and about 30 days in the shop and at BMW montvale engineering center. I only needed to yell for about 15 minutes before the dealer offered me a lemon law replacement.

Had I known I would get 10K miles free and then a new car, I wouldn't have been unhappy going through the hassles. (Have 120K miles on the replacement car, so no complaints). The dealer confided that they replaced a surprising number of cars every year under the lemon law.

Read the lemon law section of the books in the glove box. You don't need a lawyer to understand it and you don't need a lawyer to resolve it. If you think you fit the description and circumstance, call the general manager and the regional rep and bust chops.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:14 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

carlos,
did you specify an acceptable resolution in the letter?
if you didnt ask for anything, you are not going to recieve anything.
sorry to hear about your problems and that it might require legal action!
jeff

mhm993 - cool avatar
Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 PM
micgreeny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the lemon law two times and its not that hard, take a few months but you get every penny back plus any extras you did or put in to the car. your letter will do no good or at best a letter back kissing your *** but thats it. note this was in ca..there are lawyers that are very good with this sort of thing and its fairly pain less on your side. I would not wait for the return letter and just get the ball rolling. good luck.------------mike
Old 09-09-2006, 10:55 PM
rfdjr58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hang in there, and don't give up. As they say: the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:17 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

It's my understanding that P will only respond favorably if you apply a lot of heat. The fact that you've passed the mileage for LL is something they'll probably throw at you. Just google around on this and talk to some bulldog attorney's and see how you want to tackle it. Get going on that now as the letter will only get you some kind of a lip service.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:50 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What happens to these cars that are taken back in as Lemons? Are they resold? Would that show up on a CarFax?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:39 AM
jcf7
Pro

Originally Posted by jury_ca
What happens to these cars that are taken back in as Lemons? Are they resold? Would that show up on a CarFax?
I don't know if they show up on CarFax....but, if I have to keep this car for the remainder of the lease, some poor guy will end up buying it after I return it. I only hope he's smart enough to call me.....if there is a way for him to look up the previous owner. In any case, anyone that reads the prior service records will run away from it.

Through a freind, I also had my letter handed to a Germany based Porsche customer service Director that is visiting the states on business.

I'll give the matter until next Friday before I hand it over to a lawyer. In the meantime, the car is running fine today and I'm going for a ride.

Quick Reply: letter to PCNA and a question for the lawyers on this board