Sponsored by:

That little clear plastic sheet covering

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default That little clear plastic sheet covering

the PCM screen...does it just pull off? Mine is scratched (I bought the car off the showroom floor) and I would like to remove it. I don't anticipate marring the PCM screen as I am the sole driver of the car. Any reason not to?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:25 AM
TheOldMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plastic sheet is not needed. I pulled mine off a year ago with no ill effects.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:56 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

I keep a microfiber towel in the door pocket dedicated to cleaning the screen... my plastic sheet went a long time ago. Also, I've found that Monster brand LCD cleaner spray (or the like) works great; just remember to mist it gently (or spray the cleaner on the towel) to prevent drip-down behind the bezel...

-don
Old 09-07-2006, 11:27 AM
ryssyr
Rennlist Member

if you want to replace it you can go to any office supply store and buy a clear plastic report cover, cut it to size and pop it into place. you dont notice it and its a great way to protect that screen.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Off it comes! Just pull, I guess?
Old 09-07-2006, 02:55 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Mine came off while gently wiping a fingerprint off the screen about three weeks after I bought the car. All of a sudden I have a wrinkled "screen" before I realized that it was just there for shipping protection (as with PDAs and cell phones). Boy was that an adreniline rush!!!

Jerry
Old 09-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

FYI. ALWAYS take off the PCM screen protector. We've seen it happen where under extreme heat it'll sort of bond with the screen. I take them off right before the car is delivered everytime.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:09 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Great thread. I never knew that there was a plastic cover. have to take it off tomorrow. Thanks guys for the headsup.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:25 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Which reminds me of one time I couldn't stop laughing
when I saw a car in a parking lot (can't remember what make, it was a compact American sedan)
with the plastic sheets still over the seats! And I could tell that the car didn't just roll off the showroom!
(It was dirty and messy with "family-stuff" all over the interior)
Old 09-11-2006, 06:30 AM
mishref
Advanced

I took mine off a couple days after getting my car .. It's there to protect the car from road debris.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by mishref
I took mine off a couple days after getting my car .. It's there to protect the car from road debris.

How does one get road debris INSIDE the car? Unless of course you're pulling a "Duke's of Hazard" with your car!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to post because this thread made me remember a great story.

In high school, I worked at Radio Shack. This is back in 1984. We sold these clock radio's that ran on AC power, i.e., with the power cord attached, with a 9 volt battery backup in case the power went out. So one day this guy comes in with his clock radio and tells me it is broken. I ask what is wrong? He says that it constantly displays the same time and he cant figure out how to set the time because the time set buttons do not work. This MORON is standing there with the AC cord dangling and the 9 volt battery installed, and he never peeled off the plastic film that displayed a static image of the time in digital numbers. I kid you not. I peeled it off and he was speechless with his jaw hanging. I was almost bleeding from biting the inside of my cheeks to prevent laughing in his face. True story!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:15 AM
mishref
Advanced

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
How does one get road debris INSIDE the car? Unless of course you're pulling a "Duke's of Hazard" with your car!
I didn't realize you guys were talking about the NAV screen! I thought this post was about the clear vinyl sheets they place next to the rear fender.

I removed the NAV screen before starting my car when I got it.

Quick Reply: That little clear plastic sheet covering