Sponsored by:

From non-owner to former owner in a day

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:15 PM
rfdjr58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From non-owner to former owner in a day

Located a Carrerra-S I wanted in a nearby city where some of my family lives. My plan was to fly there with son, and drive back together. Flew up on Friday, and barely got to dealer before closing, starting to rain, I'm rushing, etc. Signed all the lease papers, provided my downpayment, told dealer I'd be back tomorrow to go over questions, etc.

Drove to my sister's house for dinner, and my brother-in-law immediately noticies a nine inch long paint blemish. Looks like acid or something similar spilled on the paint (how could I have missed this?) . I figure I'm stuck since the sale is completed. Called the salesman, and we agreed to meet in the morning. He and the sales manager suggest I drive the car home (500 miles away) and get it fixed, and they will pay. I say I don't like that idea, and would rather not accept a new car with an immediate problem (fully expecting a huge fight).

To my extreme shock, they say they'll take the car back, and undo the deal if that will make me happy. We shake hands and I give them the keys back.

Assuming they weren't aware of the problem in the first place, this is the best dealer experience I've ever had. Unfortunately, the car was just the right combination of features, and I can't find another one. I was an idiot for not inspecting the car thoroughly.

I'm not a car expert, so I am wondering if I should consider re-purchasing this car after repair? In the meantime I'll keep looking for a replacement.

Anyway, I just thought I would share what I consider to be an amazing response from this dealer. I don't know the policy of this forum, so I am not posting the dealer's name.

P.S. does anyone know when the 2007's will be released?

Last edited by rfdjr58; 09-04-2006 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Clarify Title
Old 09-04-2006, 11:22 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, this is one case where it would be a nice thing to do to post the dealer's name. It is always good to hear about a positive event that happened at a dealer.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

That's service, but the right thing to do. If you have a paint stain that bad and it can't be remedied without sandpaper, I'd be a little upset they didn't mention it previously. What will it take to remedy the problem? I will tell you I took delivery of my 997 from a Porsche dealer in Atlanta that had been damaged in transport. They drug their feet for a couple of months while I traveled, but eventually owned up and took care of it. Small scrapes on the rear bumper required the entire bumper to be repainted and I've never had a regret. I love the car and it was handled well. Best of luck.

Forgot to mention--mine is an 05 and it is a pre-owned!!

Last edited by SilverSteel; 09-04-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:33 PM
axel6
Advanced

A new car should be perfect. Period. Especially for the $$$ we're talking about. I would take nothing less than an unblemished car.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:42 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by rfdjr58
P.S. does anyone know when the 2007's will be released?
I got my 2007 on 8/2.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:29 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure where the blemish is but I'm sure it'd be OK after a little work. If you're still interested see if they will sweeten the deal a bit to make you go for it again. Have them ship the car to you or something so that you are not inconvenienced again. Good luck with it.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:07 PM
chago996
Racer

When I was in the process of finalizing the lease of my 996 in '02, I noticed a new 996 c4s that was not in the showroom a few days before. Back then, the c4s was in super high demand and they were scarce. I inquired about it and they told me that this particular c4s was not for sale because they found a paint defect and they were sending it back to Porsche in Germany to be redone or fixed. That was Beverly Hills Porsche but I don't know if the sending back part is true or not. There is a certain amount of repairs that are allowed by the state that can be done in-house and still be sold as a new car. If that limit is exceeded, they have to disclose this to you, or I believe, sent back to the manufacturer. If the defect is large enough, fixed locally, and disclosed to you properly, then the car's value should be lower. If its fixed at Porsche in Germany, it would probably be sold as new without any disclosures, since it was done by the factory.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:12 PM
rfdjr58
Intermediate

Default Found a Replacement

Well the local dealer found me a suitable replacement with similar options. Should be here early next week. Even though I was happy with the out-of-state dealer's treatment, I decided it would be better to take delivery from the local dealer. At least I had a good long test drive in the first car.

I will definitely be more thorough in my review this time. My wife will be with me this time...she can spot a scratch a mile away. Just need to keep myself distracted while I wait!

XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
XCZ - Sport Shifter
M6A - Black Mats - Porsche lettering
680 - Bose High End Sound Package
670 - Navigation for PCM
666 - Module for Telephone PCM
640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus
C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions
405 - 19" Carrera Classic Wheel
342 - Heated Front Seats
267 - Self Dimming Mirrors
P15 - Power Seat Package
CXB - Door Entry Grds Stl Steel Illu
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Old 09-10-2006, 11:36 AM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

It is nice when everything works out well in the end.

Quick Reply: From non-owner to former owner in a day