Sponsored by:

996 PSE - will it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Drmark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 PSE - will it fit?

I have been offered a bargain barely used PSE from a 996 - will it fit my 997 C2S?? Anyone know?
Thanks
Mark
Old 09-04-2006, 10:58 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

While they might fit in the "cavity" I am not sure they would work properly.

The primary difference between the two types is that the 996 PSE has two pipes exiting the "can," one from the middle and one from the end, but they converge into one pipe to expel the the exhaust (circled in the first pic).

The 997 PSE has two pipes to expel the exhaust gasses and is, therefore, a true dual exhaust (second pic).

Additionally, the "quite/loud" on/off switch wiring may be different between the two PSE types. Personally, I would not attempt to put the 996 PSE on a 997.
Attached Images   
Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Drmark
Racer

Very clear now I have your pics. Agree - a non starter.
Thanks
Mark
Old 09-04-2006, 08:53 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark - you are welcome. Glad I could help. Maybe a fellow “Rennlister” on the 996 Forum (that lives in the UK) could take advantage of the 996 PSE you referenced. I would be interested in them but the shipping costs to the USA would negate any potential savings.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
JVictor
Intermediate

I'm the silly old man that has been asking about quieting our 2000 996 W/PSE. I'd like to thank you guys for your help, esp "gotta911". Trouble is that most of you want louder, I want the option of quiet/non-pse. I figure another problem is the big diff btw earlier pse, like mine, and the later ones that are obviously (from your photos) more developed. Remember in mine the bypass skips The Entire Can; I believe that causes the ratty sound I don't like. What I gather from your comments and photos, the later pse still uses part of the muffler. With that in mind I can see how many of you like it's sound. Someday I'll get to hear one.
Finally, I've answered my own question: The PSE (bypass) can be silenced by pulling the plastic tubes that go into the "red connector" device and hooking them directly together. This provides full-time vacuum to the dashpots which in turn hold the bypass flaps closed. Ahhh, much better! I like the sound of the entire Porsche engine, not just the exhaust noise....'course it's hard to beat my (Stock) 71 911S......but it's hard to beat the water-cooled model's A/C in our Fresno heat. .....On The Other Hand the noise and the dust kicked up by the 996 radiator fans is another subject......jVm
Old 09-04-2006, 11:42 PM
axel6
Advanced

Originally Posted by JVictor
I believe that causes the ratty sound I don't like.
Ratty! Blasphemy..that sound is boootiful.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Drmark
Racer

Here it is - 4 hours left!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Porsch...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-05-2006, 09:53 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JVictor
I'm the silly old man that has been asking about quieting our 2000 996 W/PSE. I'd like to thank you guys for your help, esp "gotta911". Trouble is that most of you want louder, I want the option of quiet/non-pse. I figure another problem is the big diff btw earlier pse, like mine, and the later ones that are obviously (from your photos) more developed. Remember in mine the bypass skips The Entire Can; I believe that causes the ratty sound I don't like. What I gather from your comments and photos, the later pse still uses part of the muffler. With that in mind I can see how many of you like it's sound. Someday I'll get to hear one.
Finally, I've answered my own question: The PSE (bypass) can be silenced by pulling the plastic tubes that go into the "red connector" device and hooking them directly together. This provides full-time vacuum to the dashpots which in turn hold the bypass flaps closed. Ahhh, much better! I like the sound of the entire Porsche engine, not just the exhaust noise....'course it's hard to beat my (Stock) 71 911S......but it's hard to beat the water-cooled model's A/C in our Fresno heat. .....On The Other Hand the noise and the dust kicked up by the 996 radiator fans is another subject......jVm
JVM - based upon you statement "Remember in mine the bypass skips The Entire Can" I am assuming you have the older version of the 996 PSE shown in the pic below. Is that correct?

BTW - The mufflers in the pic below are not original OEM PSE mufflers but rather are an "aftermarket modified" version of the mufflers, using stock OEM (non-PSE) mufflers. You can tell this because these mufflers do not have the vacuum actuator found on PSE mufflers.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2006, 02:22 PM
JVictor
Intermediate

Thanks 'gotta911' for following along. My 'cans' are only kind of like your photo. The bypass goes fully from top to bottom of the can : From the exhaust 'in' from the cats (controlled by the vac actuator) to the tailpipe connection at the bottom. As I've said, it's just a "Noise bypass" but I seem to be hearing that none of these exhaust mods, factory or not, are about performance.
I think I like having the bypass closed better than "pse operating normally" but this AM I noticed kind of a tinny sound to the fully muffled exhaust as my wife headed to the gym. I think I'll start figuring how to switch from 'standard pse on' to 'pse bypass closed' as some of you have a switch from factory programming to bypass open full time. Looks like it would require some other solenoid gadget to work, tho'.
Axel6, did you note that I'm saying my older system probably sounds 'rattier' than the newer ones with only partial bypass? jVm

Quick Reply: 996 PSE - will it fit?