Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 TT Wheels - did I make a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006 | 02:49 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

I've seen Quad exhaust tips on a non-S.
Then there's painted yellow calipers on a non-PCCB car.
Now, with Turbo wheels on a non-Turbo...
even if you're not deliberately trying to fool anybody...it kinda LOOKS like you are.
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Leader
even if you're not deliberately trying to fool anybody...it kinda LOOKS like you are.
Turbo tims have been an available option on 911's for sometime; I don't think it appears anyone with these rims is trying to fool anybody. Remember the 18" turbo twist's from the 993 cars...no big deal there either as it was a Porsche factory approved option and widely ordered after the first year.

Last edited by 500; 09-04-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2006 | 04:02 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Are you sure there is a real "mismatch" (don't see it) or is peer pressure just bending your will? The wheel took a beating on this board a little while back. If you really don't like 'em, I would not "mod" them. This will destroy whatever value they have. Sell them. If you like them but are swayed by others that don't, drive em and worry about something else. It is, like always, your choice and your taste that matters. No one will think badly of you or your car if you leave them on. Just please no chrome....
Old 09-04-2006 | 04:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leader
Fair enough, but I don't think a lot of people who know at least what 996, 997 and 993 mean, would think this is an attempt at a Turbo-look.
As mentioned the only difference between the 993 C4S and the 993 Turbo (wheels) is the hollow-spoke weight-saving design in the Turbo wheels. In other words, the factory doesn't draw a line to differentiate models by wheel design alone.
I don't really like the fussy new Turbo body or wheel design but those wheels do seem to "work" on the clean lines of the wide-body Carrera. And I imagine the usually over-the-top after-market designers (eg. Gemballa) must be wondering what they can do to make the Turbo look even more, let's say, "unprecedented."

I look forward to a TechArt or Cargraphic design that goes retro and does something like cut metal into the rear wheel arch inlets and reduce the over-hang in the nose (as much as the radiators will allow) and smooth out the tail, perhaps going to a more conventional exhaust outlet design (please, no Carrera GT look-a-like exhausts ... Thunderbirds are not go.) :)
Old 09-04-2006 | 06:06 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

I think the sport wheels would look better. But I am not independent....GR
Old 09-04-2006 | 10:06 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

No chrome.

I don't think people can see the mismatch when the car is moving.

You can always give the wheels to me!

Just say no to chrome
Old 09-04-2006 | 11:09 PM
rkeyser
Advanced

Trade them in at wheelenhancement.com in Culver City. They will give you a good trade in credit.

My neighbor has a 997 with chrome wheels on it . I cringe every time he drives by.
Old 09-05-2006 | 08:21 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Never a fan of the new 997T rims (looks OK on the turbo but too busy for the clean lines of the 997) I like "Allergerto" rims!
Old 09-05-2006 | 01:49 PM
cmoss

a terrible mistake... so sorry...
Old 09-05-2006 | 03:11 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default I think that the wheels look great, I would leave them as is

however if the Dark Accents on the wheels bother you paint them.
Old 09-05-2006 | 04:32 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW: Your cab looks great as is. The barrels match the top. If you persist in a paint scheme, have the barrels powder coated "black chrome" - it is a clean, nice look. Better, if you don't like the TT wheels, trade 'em for black TechArt Formula wheels, which are (a) clean and uncluttered, and (b) very easy to clean. Having TT wheels does NOT mean you are trying for a Turbo look. They are nice wheels.
Old 09-05-2006 | 07:29 PM
rzundel
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into the black chrome idea for the gray accent area. You have the right idea. I am looking for something that will brighten up the wheels and not have them look dirty all the time. I either need to go 1) black accents (basalt black to match the car or a jet black like the black chrome idea), 2) paint the entire wheel a nice silver color or 3) polish the entire wheel.

And finally for clarification, I didn't get the turbo wheels to be more like a turbo. If that were the case I would have bought a TT. I bought the wheels because I wanted to stay in the porsche OEM family and the new turbo wheel was the hottest new option available.

Quick Reply: 997 TT Wheels - did I make a mistake?