Sponsored by:

Reduced TIP allocations ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 08:23 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced TIP allocations ??

I had placed an order with my local dealer for a C4 with Tip in late July 2006. Till now I have not received any confirmation of timing etc.

On various followup with the dealer, all I got is that they are not getting any allocations for either a C4 or Tip (not sure it is one or other or both). Seems like they have been trying (so far unsuccessfully) to trade with any other dealer to get a C4 with Tip

On the caymanclub site, someone posted a message that Porsche has reduced the Tip allocations for the coming months. Do you folks have any inside infoon this matter, or is it just that my local dealer is not a very major dealership and they do not get what they want.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:26 PM
TorqueMonkey
Track Day

I have heard here and there that the Carrera 4 was being discontinued. Not sure about the actual truth behind that (or whether or not it pertains to your situation) but it wouldn't surprise me since they don't sell many base 4's.

The reduced Tip allocation may also be due to the pending (and now mythical) release date of the PDK, which I would assume will replace the Tip entirely. Again, that's speculation.

Please post if you find out anything.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:33 AM
doughboy
2nd Gear

The same happened to me. I placed an order for a C4S with a dealer in May and was told, in the third week of August, that the dealer didn't get my C4S allocation (the salesperson contacted other dealers but was unsuccessful in finding an unallocated C4S). Was told that I could have a delivery in March '07. Decided not to since, at that late a date, it was too close to a face-lifted '08. Yesterday, I gave that dealer a refundable deposit for an '08, gave a refundable to another dealer, and next week with do the same at a third dealer.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:35 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Doughboy, did you also ask for a Tiptronic or manual. I do not know the root cause of the problem. I have a feeling that availability of Tip cars are an issue, at least with lower volume dealers.

I may also end up doing what you did. Change my order to 2008.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Have not heard about any C4/C4S discontinued! I tried to buy a C4S Tip starting back in May of this year. I had my dealer....actually a few dealers try to allocate a Black, Basalt Balck or and of the Silver colors and it was hard to find anything...not much was out there.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It sounds like an awful lot of you are assuming an 08 facelift. What if it isn't until the MY09?

Quick Reply: Reduced TIP allocations ??