Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:18 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Motor Trend article - 911 gets knocked

Anyone seen this long article before?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ar_comparison/

911 loses to Z06, and Aston Martin. Barely beats Cayman.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:59 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Consumer Reports just picked the 911 over the Z06.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:31 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Oh no, here we go again. Someone needs to ban these...
Old 09-02-2006, 01:24 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of all cars...the Z06???
We need a Recount!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 01:30 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by sws1

Thank you for the mis-read mr. troll.

What they ACTUALLY said (to paraphrase) was:
  • Z06 has better raw performance than 911, but requires more work and has less refinement (we already knew this)
  • The 911 outperforms the Aston Martin in relatively all performance categories, but the AM is sexier (we already knew this)
  • The Cayman is a more powerful, hard top Boxter meaning even better handling and performance to rival the 911 (we already knew this)
Thank you Motor Trend for confirming what we all already knew. Thank you sws1 for trying to get a rise out of everyone.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:34 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yea - I just read it as well and did't understand the first post - thought I didn't have enough coffee in me yet...

Same ole' post - Luv our 911's!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 02:41 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Amen, brother! We have taliban amongst us--beware the infiltraitors.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sws1

Chevy salesman?
Old 09-02-2006, 04:06 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - Let's talk facts guys. And then I'll provide my commentary.

Fact: I am a Porsche fan, and a waiter on an October-build 911S.

Fact: I posted this link because I thought people might be interested in reading an article about the 911.

Fact: These are the exact summary quotes from the article. Since the article was written from the standpoint of picking a winner in each comparison, I stand by my original statement, whether I'm happy with the results or not.

911 vs Vette
But at the end of the day, the Z06 is a much faster, quicker, and higher-performing car--a rocket-propelled grenade to Porsche's HK416 assault rifle. The ultimate Corvette outperforms the 911 Carrera S in enough contests--and decisively enough--that it cannot be dismissed on the basis of its lower-rent interior and its hot, loud ride. When performance matters most, as it surely must for anyone considering a Z06, the 911 simply falls short. Advantage Corvette.

911 vs Aston Martin
If style matters enough for you to have tried them both on, and if you can afford either, you'll be happier in the Aston Martin.

911 vs Cayman
Being the only competitor the 911's creators have anything to say about, it should surprise nobody that the Cayman takes second in this round by a photo-finish, owing to the 911's superior overall performance. But it's only by the slimmest of margins, and as we've shown, that margin can easily be erased with bucks.

Opinion: This forum is filled with the most holier-than-thou people I've ever come across on any internet forum. Someone offers something to share, and everyone jumps on him like a bunch of snobs. I'm called a troll, the taliban, a mis-reader, a Chevy salesman, infiltrator, and an instigator. Very nice guys.

Guess this forum isn't for me.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:48 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Don't let the door hit you on the way out...
Old 09-02-2006, 05:37 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I apologize on behalf of the name-callers. I agree that the 911 has finesse and quality, but as appropriate the competition is fierce and effectively segments a narrow but discerning market.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:48 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure my comments here will be unpopular with some of you....how dare a 993 owner say such a thing on the 997 section yadda yadda....Apparently gravedgr and few others here feel the difference between deciding to be courteous or not is centered on whether someone spends a few bucks on a membership? I usually like to see whats happening with 997 reliability and mods for future ideas should I decide to buy one but man its disappointing to see people so bent out of shape over memberships. The guy may be wrong in his interpretation about the article. Right or wrong whats the big deal? Maybe you should just spend the afternoon looking for all the posts by non-members and ridicule them? Seems shallow. There have been multiple threads about membership & whether or not people should be required to have one. I doubt most here would have become members had they not been given the opportunity to check out the community before becoming a member. The derogatory comments some of you have made here probably would deter some people who could make a positive contribution to this forum but have not yet become members. Let the people who own the site decide. If I owned this site I'd probably suggest to those who are condescending towards other members/users that they may get a little vacation if that attitude persists. I've just put on my flame-suit so bring it. I just think some of you are making comments that go against the positive spirit of what rennlist is all about. Just wanted to throw that out there....I'm done.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Sands
Instructor

"911 vs Aston Martin
If style matters enough for you to have tried them both on, and if you can afford either, you'll be happier in the Aston Martin."

Um, not true. I did try both and I can afford either. I bought the 911.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:32 PM
micgreeny
Instructor

ever notice that EVERY CAR is compared to the 911,even when not in the same class (hp) and it still kick ***!!!!!!!!! love mine, it has it all, comfort, speed, reliability, quality, looks, handling, thats why every car wants to compare with the 911. and never they win. thats why they say " there is no substitude"-------------mike
Old 09-02-2006, 10:45 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Hey guys, lets not become ZO6 forum posters. The 911 is not a perfect car, but we still bought one regardless. I used to care what other's thought before the purchase to determine if it was the right car for me in terms of performance, quality, ergonomics, etc. Who here didn't research the car to death before putting down big bucks? After my purchase I could care less what others said because I've already bought it and it's mine. Whatever you say doesn't matter as it's right for me.

Coming from the BMW side, I know a lot of other makes are compared to the 3 series (i.e. Lexus IS, Infiniti G35, etc. etc.), and gun for it with every new model they make. I like that. I look at it this way... the 911 is the gold standard that other sports cars, including the Z06 with 150 hp more are compared to. I see that as a compliment. Even with the huge difference in horsepower, the 40+ years of development have rendered the 911 the King of the hill and others will always try to knock it off the top step.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend article - 911 gets knocked