Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend article - 911 gets knocked

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006 | 01:22 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by icon
to mention a repost to someone else, does not make someone a troll, wolfgang! you've done it plenty of times, and usually don't bother with any kind of courtesy.
Okay, you are right. I still question the motives but it really does not matter right now. Time will tell. Maybe we have become oversensitive when it comes to trolls because they have wreaked some havoc here in the past. Bottom line is, I'm still superhappy with my car. And now I'm going to take her out. Enjoy Labor Day!
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:02 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Jeff - everyone's got their opinion, and ours just differ on this subject. Having been "online" since the BBS's of the '80s, the concept of trolling is just a personal pet peeve of mine. And having seen how you antagonized B/T, I know you're capable. Just teasing buddy.
i'll be the first to admit i'm far from perfect.
maybe farther from perfect than anyone on the the board.
i've been a mod b/f and don't have much trouble spotting trolls or aliases.
sws1 was not a troll.
even if he was he shouldnt have been called one after one repost.
jeff
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:34 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Interesting. I just find it hard to believe that anything GM builds holds a candle to Porsche. Look at the warranty only 36k, that doesn't inspire confidence. As for the Aston Martin, it's a grand car, but it's something that I wouldn't want to take off cross country in. If something went wrong you would have to tow it back to Hollywood to get it fixed. There is at least one Porsche dealership in each state, except maybe Wyoming.

Those that drive their 911's to the limits of adhesion understand the car. What it can and cannot do. I'm sure there are people that swear by the others, but not as many.

My 2 cents anyway.
Old 09-04-2006 | 04:32 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
Interesting. I just find it hard to believe that anything GM builds holds a candle to Porsche. Look at the warranty only 36k, that doesn't inspire confidence. As for the Aston Martin, it's a grand car, but it's something that I wouldn't want to take off cross country in. If something went wrong you would have to tow it back to Hollywood to get it fixed. There is at least one Porsche dealership in each state, except maybe Wyoming.

Those that drive their 911's to the limits of adhesion understand the car. What it can and cannot do. I'm sure there are people that swear by the others, but not as many.

My 2 cents anyway.
I think your 2 cents is worth a whole lot more when you really consider the reality of what you said. The key point you make is one that my wife and I considered as a major factor when buying the TT, and that is the serviceability of the car if you decide to travel. We bought ours to take on trips and in the unlikely event of a breakdown, there is a good chance we wouldn't be stranded in the Porsche. I guess that's why we bought a Harley too!

Old 09-04-2006 | 04:44 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

What would you do if your DPL would not start in Butte, Montana. It's a long way back to LA. For the life of me I can't see spending all that money with so little dealer support.

The most enjoyable thing for me is a drive through the west in a 911, with a good chance of getting back home.
Old 09-04-2006 | 04:45 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gravedgr
2...Having been "online" since the BBS's of the '80s....
Since the 80s? Maybe just you and Al Gore! Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 09-04-2006 | 07:02 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by THPorsche
I guess all pro tennis players of my generation have now retired.
Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
I didn't have any idea that watching that guy retire from tennis would effect me the way it has all day. Bottomline, I now feel my age... and then some. Officially just getting older from here on out.
just saw the replay of the end of his match.
that was kind of a tear jerker!
does tend to make you feel older!
his wife always had the best legs in tennis!

you'll hear steve irwin / the crocodile hunter was killed by a sting ray whille filming on the great barrier reef monday(today)?
sting rays barb put a hole right in his heart!
jeff

Last edited by icon; 09-04-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-04-2006 | 09:51 PM
gerkebi
Instructor

SWS1 is just raising a discussion...so will I. In my 40 years of reading car magazines, I gave up on Motor Trend about 35 years ago. Every decade or so I find myself bored in some aiport to the point of trying one, and it never fails...it sucks. Even if David E. lends a hand. It's just awful. R & T, Car and Driver, Automobile, Autoweek, they all have their place. Motor Trend's place is in the bottom of the birdcage.

So who cares what they say? BTW, I have a Cayman and 997S and believe me, these are two different vehicles.
Old 09-04-2006 | 10:20 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
just saw the replay of the end of his match.
that was kind of a tear jerker!
does tend to make you feel older!
his wife always had the best legs in tennis!
jeff
these...

Old 09-04-2006 | 10:31 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

You know, It's funny you guys are saying that.

We've been watching Andre's run and Steffi gets some time. My wife, much more attuned to women's appearences ( I mean, guys. We look at a woman, and it's true, we're only asking ourselves one question) and she proclaimed that Steffi's gotten better with age. I think she's correct.
Old 09-04-2006 | 10:38 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

So much for the Motor Trend article discussion ...
Old 09-04-2006 | 10:48 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

WOW! (Drooling) Thanks for sharing...Steffi is GORGEOUS!
Old 09-04-2006 | 11:38 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Since the 80s? Maybe just you and Al Gore! Sorry, couldn't resist.
Dave, let me also introduce you to my good friend Wikipedia:

A bulletin board system or BBS is a computer system running software that allows users to connect to the system, typically over an analog phone line, to perform various social and recreational tasks, and communicate with others on the system. Using a terminal program, remote users can perform functions such as downloading software and data, uploading data, playing games, reading news, and exchanging messages with other users. During their heyday (from the early 1980s to the mid 1990s), many BBSes were run as a hobby free of charge by the "SysOp" (system operator), while other BBSes charged their users a subscription fee for access. Still others were run by Internet service providers as part of their service to subscribers. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system )

I got my first computer in 1980, and my first modem around '84-'85 - it was a super-fast 300 baud Micromodem ][, no crappy acoustic couplers for me!

Oh ye of little faith.
Old 09-04-2006 | 11:44 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I just read the Consumer Report article from start to finish on the sports cars they evaluated and tend to agree with their evaluation on the car. It was a very straight forward bare bones presentation of the car. Having driven the Z06 and the rest of the cars, I agree with their comments. The article was very positive about the car. Of course they aren't famous for evaluating luxury items (high-end sports cars), but did a good job. It's on newstands now if you have five minutes, pick it up and read through it.
Old 09-05-2006 | 10:06 PM
Deven
Pro

I have never been a fan of Steffie (and especially why a guy would dump Brooke for her) but that picture is very flattering......

Quick Reply: Motor Trend article - 911 gets knocked