Sponsored by:

Motor Trend article - 911 gets knocked

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006 | 11:23 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
agassi lost?

what it boils down to is a new guy made a repost. whoopee.
the usual reply is for someone to point out that it is a "repost"
and maybe link to the original.
I guess all pro tennis players of my generation have now retired.
Old 09-03-2006 | 11:58 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Thank you for the mis-read mr. troll.

What they ACTUALLY said (to paraphrase) was:
  • Z06 has better raw performance than 911, but requires more work and has less refinement (we already knew this)
  • The 911 outperforms the Aston Martin in relatively all performance categories, but the AM is sexier (we already knew this)
  • The Cayman is a more powerful, hard top Boxter meaning even better handling and performance to rival the 911 (we already knew this)
Thank you Motor Trend for confirming what we all already knew. Thank you sws1 for trying to get a rise out of everyone.
gravedgr, you just hit me in the funny bone with that ...
Old 09-04-2006 | 12:01 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allegretto
I think you're correct about membership to a point. If a guy wants a 30 day trial, that's fine. More than that and he's a freeloader.

I own a Ferrari too and the Fchat line has guys who have a few thousand posts over a few years and they still don't join and come up with lame excuses like, "no one asked me nice" and such.

Hey, if you want to meet a real bunch of guys with a red "L" on their brow go over to the "Off Topic" side of this list.

I like Fchat because the Mods are not as tight-butt as they are here, but the guys here are knowledgeable and rather friendly. Maybe too many ****-retentive posts about bird droppings and such, but all in all a nice bunch of guys (OK, some sociopaths, but only a few).

This guy has a deposit on a 911 (or so he says) and posts a four month old Rag-test that's been asked and answered ad nauseum. Got his shorts singed a little.

SO WHAT? This is not the place for self-esteem building. Go talk to your Mom or Shrink for that. Now if he wants some advice, or is feeling like he made a poor decision, ask others here what they think. But to drop a stink-bomb because more wanna-sell-an-issue wanna be journalists did yet another Monster Comparo featuriing a 911 (along with the Vette the longest running Icons in the business), then the Guy was right. Don't hit your a$$ on the door while leaving.
At least someone had the guts to say it. LOL, You guys are killing me tonight... You're my hero...
Old 09-04-2006 | 02:11 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
At least someone had the guts to say it. LOL, You guys are killing me tonight... You're my hero...
what took guts to say?
sws1 just registered aug '08 and made his first post two weeks ago.
so let's call him a bunch of names since he made a repost?
i disagree but who gives a ****?
jeff
Old 09-04-2006 | 02:24 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

what took guts to say?
sws1 just registered aug '08 and made his first post two weeks ago.
so let's call him a bunch of names since he made a repost?
i disagree but who gives a ****?
jeff
I guess I gave a ****. I took two fiber pills last night.
Old 09-04-2006 | 02:54 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

sws1 just registered aug '08 and made his first post two weeks ago. so let's call him a bunch of names since he made a repost? i disagree but who gives a ****?
Jeff, you may be missing the greater context. SWS1 made an easily avoidable repost, strongly pointing out the (assumed) negative results for the 997. Okay, I agree, by itself forgivable. Annoying, but no big deal.

HOWEVER: at the same time, after Robbonds posts freshly published positive results in a different thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/296185-consumer-reports-ranking-9-1-06-a.html), SWS1 rushes in and makes a quick post stating "Posted several times already" to kill the positive thread in its beginning.

Last edited by Soulteacher; 09-04-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:05 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

i'm not missing anything.
i also don't agree with you.
jeff
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:16 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
C'mon Doug,
What other reason could there be to call someone a "troll"? I've never read anyone calling a paid member a troll here (maybe a few other choice words...but never "troll"). THAT is why I brought up paid membership vs. no membership. As for the content and disagreeing with the conclusion about the article thats fine. I'm not debating whether he's right or wrong here. It comes down to bringing up something completely off point...like calling someone's mother fat because you don't agree with what they said. Regardless of whether this guy "incite[d] the forum" or not its just name calling as far as I can see it. I'm not here to pick a fight. I just think you're trying to beat the guy up with off-point remarks to make him go away. Maybe he should if he really was offending anyone but saying some writer (not him) thinks a Vette is a better car doesn't seem that offensive to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say that it really was your troll comment that was a little bit offensive. Enough that a few apologized for your comment. No biggie, its an open forum so you can write what you want. I just hate seeing people leave who may have a positive contribution to make here even if some of the things they write are wrong. If we all agreed about everything here RL would probably get pretty boring. As for any "agenda" I only wanted to point out what seemed to be offensive and was clearly taken by the thread starter as such. Its all good, I've written some stuff here thats gotten me in hot water before with the administrator. It was to someone being a complete A-hole to a non-member and I'd seen him do it countless times. I finally told him what I REALLY thought. I'm doing the same with you, just in a NICE way this time. As far as I am concerned, you do have a problem with non-members or you wouldn't have that circle with a line through it. I take some offense to that. I have several relatives and friends who are "trolls" .....peace out...
2nd - this is exactly what I mean by troll:

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion, including the personal attack of calling others trolls. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll)

You'll notice the cute little picture next to the description matches the icon in my sig. Anyhow, as I said before - had he offered up any kind of discussion instead of just posting the link with a one-line knock of the car, I wouldn't have said a thing. And as I said before, i couldn't give a crap if someone is a member or not - we have trolls who are members and who are not.

FWIW, I'm pretty certain I have *never* made a crack about membership to anyone. Feel free to search my posts. So if you want to make that totally baseless assumption, go for it. You'd just be wrong.
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:33 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by allegretto
He should have never apologized to that hi maintanence head case...

Oops, I mean Aggasi was always fun to watch.

Don't you find it ironic that Brooke is associated with both these men? Sort of what Vonnegut called a "carass" in Cat's Cradle.

Oh, yeah, the Porsche thing. Like we didn't know?
Wow... a Vonnegut reference in a Rennlist post. This place is looking up.

I didn't have any idea that watching that guy retire from tennis would effect me the way it has all day. Bottomline, I now feel my age... and then some. Officially just getting older from here on out.

Oh, the Porsche 911 v. everybody else thing... it's great for all. The sleeping creative genius that is Porsche might just sit up and start to pay attention to what these others are dishing out... and then smash the whole set with a up powered version of the Cayman.

AWD Cayman turbo V8 anyone? Satellite? DSG? Under $100,000? How long do I have to live to see that?
Old 09-04-2006 | 03:42 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm...Interesting Doug.....I stand corrected about the definition that I believed was to direct attention to the fact that the guy wasn't a member. Not really sure he was trying to stir up trouble. Seems my concern over the "troll" comment stirred up alot of that on its own....but ya know, live and learn. I "get you". Even with my new found understanding of that word you did beat him up pretty good....even if it had nothing to do with memberships. Every sportscar manufacturer that doesn't have the great reputation Porsche does with their rear engine cars is using the Carrera as the bar. Even Porsche is having trouble outdoing themselves to the point where alot of people say they "borrowed" the styling cues from the earlier air cooled cars. I think they are doing an awsome job just from styling alone but the performance is world class. If Chevy has something that comes close in performance or exceeds in that regard its just not the same. The mid 80's Vetts could beat just about anything Porsche was producing at a much cheaper cost....didn't mean that I would even want one. There were plenty of people lining up saying they were a better car than the Porsches but I think any educated sportscar enthusiast knows the real story. Lets just hope the 997 proves it has durability in the long run. That will be the measure I look for versus other cars I may buy in the near future. And good thing the Porsches cost a few more bucks. Keeps them to a minimum on the roads making them more exciting to see versus the Vettes that are a dime a dozen (or sure seem like it). I'd still rather have my 993 over the new Vettes and I know they outperform my car. Performance is not everything. Cool-factor and quality is.
Old 09-04-2006 | 04:45 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gravedgr
In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion, including the personal attack of calling others trolls. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll)

You'll notice the cute little picture next to the description matches the icon in my sig.
a new fellow made a repost.
don't new people deserve a little leeway?
he just ordered a 911 a week ago, why would he intentionally try to incite?
why would he boast about the 911 not winning a review?
he thought he might be providing information posters havent seen b//f.
we're talking about one post from a guy who had been posting two weeks and ordered a 911 a week ago.
did ya notice in that definition of troll that you posted it included "the personal attack of calling others trolls"?
that's exactly what you did!
if someone posts an article that doesnt praise the 911, that doesnt make them a troll!
that makes him someone trying to provide information to other members.
if a new guy makes a repost, that doesnt make him a troll!
the usual response is "repost" and a mention of the search function.
if a new guy hasnt figured out the search function yet, that doesnt make him a troll!
to mention a repost to someone else, does not make someone a troll, wolfgang!
you've done it plenty of times, and usually don't bother with any kind of courtesy.
and he was correct in that it was a repost as "x2board" had posted it the previous evening HERE
personally gravedgr, i find your sig icon a bit much, but to each his own.

jeff
Old 09-04-2006 | 05:04 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

a new fellow made a repost.
don't new people deserve a little leeway?
he just ordered a 911 a week ago, why would he intentionally try to incite?
why would he boast about the 911 not winning a review?
he thought he might be providing information posters havent seen b//f.
we're talking about one post from a guy who had been posting two weeks and ordered a 911 a week ago.
did ya notice in that definition of troll that you posted it included "the personal attack of calling others trolls"?
that's exactly what you did!
if someone posts an article that doesnt praise the 911, that doesnt make them a troll!
that makes him someone trying to provide information to other members.
if a new guy makes a repost, that doesnt make him a troll!
the usual response is "repost" and a mention of the search function.
if a new guy hasnt figured out the search function yet, that doesnt make him a troll!
to mention a repost to someone else, does not make someone a troll, wolfgang!
you've done it plenty of times, and usually don't bother with any kind of courtesy.
and he was correct in that it was a repost as "x2board" had posted it the previous evening HERE
personally gravedgr, i find your sig icon a bit much, but to each his own.

jeff
ENOUGH!!!!

Everyone go get your keys drive your cars .
Old 09-04-2006 | 05:56 AM
texas911
Race Car

Old 09-04-2006 | 05:58 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

meh, their loss.
Old 09-04-2006 | 12:57 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

2nd - its all good. I actually really like the C6 - probably more than most folks here, given the bashing it usually gets. I wouldn't mind having one to drive occasionally, but since my car is a daily driver I just think I'd get tired of it sooner than I do with the 911.

Jeff - everyone's got their opinion, and ours just differ on this subject. Having been "online" since the BBS's of the '80s, the concept of trolling is just a personal pet peeve of mine. And having seen how you antagonized B/T, I know you're capable. Just teasing buddy.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend article - 911 gets knocked