Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong Oil in car 10W vs 0W Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006 | 09:34 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by djantlive
Why is it that everyone think they are smarter than Porsche's engineers and claim 0-40 will do harm and does not provide enough protection in summer? I'm sure you are smarter than Porsche engineer OR Porsche wants engines to fail early to milk money from you.

0-40 makes very good performance on the dyno, 5+ hp higher than thicker oil such as 15-50. It also offers more efficiency.

If you are tracking in summer or sit in traffic like in LA or NYC, I doubt the extra thick oil is good / better.

Maybe the question should be - why do so many people follow Porsche's recommendations blindly with absolutley NO technical data to support their position? That is unless you look at the data such as oil leak, oil burning, variocam hestitaion, etc. It's not as if porsche (and other auto manufacturers) have not made major blunders in the past in spite of their so called expertise..
Old 08-31-2006 | 10:09 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Maybe the question should be - why do so many people follow Porsche's recommendations blindly with absolutley NO technical data to support their position? That is unless you look at the data such as oil leak, oil burning, variocam hestitaion, etc. It's not as if porsche (and other auto manufacturers) have not made major blunders in the past in spite of their so called expertise..
Uh, sorry, but they kinda make the car and you kinda don't? Hello?

So let me see, I am going to listen to you and ignore the owner's manual on my car. Gee, that's real smart.... r-i-g-h-t
Old 08-31-2006 | 11:58 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I assume you are referring to the BMW S54 engine debacle. Yes BMW changed oil recommendations from 0W30 to 10W60. But they also changed engine parts and extended the warranty to 100k miles.
Of course manufacturers have made mistakes. The point is they discover it and make amends when needed to.
However, using a non factory recommended oil weight could possibly give the manufacturer a way of NOT honoring the warranty should anything go wrong with the 997 engine. And the empirical evidence of using heavier oils is based on older engines. Newer engines have coatings and oil quality have improved. Even Mobil has said that the 0W40 is very close to the 5W50. Look at the attached pic.The only
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2006 | 12:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I addressed this to 1999Porsche911 on another thread,--

Originally Posted by Edgy01
How many 997 engines have you been into? How many 996 engines?

Why should anyone listen to you over Porsche?

What is your engineering degree in?

Are you a Porsche mechanic? Assuming 35 years as one,--right?
(I'll appreciate your inputs a lot more if you just enlighten me!)

How about a bio? (He already ignored it twice).
Old 09-01-2006 | 02:20 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

I addressed this to 1999Porsche911 on another thread,--

How many 997 engines have you been into? How many 996 engines?

Why should anyone listen to you over Porsche?

What is your engineering degree in?

Are you a Porsche mechanic? Assuming 35 years as one,--right?
(I'll appreciate your inputs a lot more if you just enlighten me!)

How about a bio? (He already ignored it twice).
I have asked for the same in numerous threads. From this point on, I can only assume 1999Porsche911 is a consumate liar as he has never produced a single piece of evidence to support any of his claims.

1999 - prove me wrong.
Old 09-02-2006 | 02:12 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Guys
Why does it always come down to name calling and confrontation? If posters are obstinate in their views and have no evidence to back it up, don't you think the reader is discerning enough to read through the BS? Why go down this path when it does no good except to antagonize?
Old 09-02-2006 | 10:29 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Guys
Why does it always come down to name calling and confrontation? If posters are obstinate in their views and have no evidence to back it up, don't you think the reader is discerning enough to read through the BS? Why go down this path when it does no good except to antagonize?
Its about 6 AM, so I am about half asleep writing this, so bear with me here. On nearly every forum I participate on, the overwhelming majority of threads start out with good intentions, usually designed to extract information or to share.

The majority of forum members are on here strictly to gain the valuable information that many threads contain. A miniority are here for the wrong reasons, usually because they find the personal stuff entertaining. Some call them trolls, but I don't necessarily think they are trolls in every case.

I find many threads entertaining, but the personal stuff is inappropriate. I, like many of us try to avoid it, but sometimes I do get sucked into the vortex of the personal stuff every now and then. Sometimes you just can't help yourself, a keyboard makes it too easy.

As a thread continues to age, eventually a controversial or contentious post will arrive and strike the nerve of a serious member. Then the thread will begin to deteriorate into a back and forth argumentation. It starts by posters citing facts and stats. Then when a good case is presented for one side, the losing side will resort to irrational and baseless rhetoric, ugly name calling and personal attacks because they fail to acknowledge defeat.

The thread either dies or is locked up by the moderator.

I will now go drive my car today and enjoy it. The sun has just risen and we're outta here, everyone have a great day...
Old 09-02-2006 | 01:01 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Its about 6 AM, so I am about half asleep writing this, so bear with me here.

I will now go drive my car today and enjoy it. The sun has just risen and we're outta here, everyone have a great day...
Be careful driving half asleep!
Old 09-02-2006 | 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
:

Old 09-02-2006 | 07:27 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

If anyone cares, I am back now (and awake ) . Did about 200 miles today, great fun. Everytime I drive the P-car it puts a smile on my face.

Now where were we on this ever popular oil thread...

Quick Reply: Wrong Oil in car 10W vs 0W Mobil 1