Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian buyers looking to purchase US models?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006 | 10:36 AM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

Default Canadian buyers looking to purchase US models?

So the US dollar hit its lowest point in relation to the Canadian dollar today. The exchange rate is just under a $1.07. This means a Turbo specced at $131,295 USD will cost $140,341 CAN. Compare this to the $179,640 CAN Canadian dealerships are asking. With the tax, the difference is over $45K CAN. I realize there may be warranty and resale issues, but do they really amount to $45K?

Any other prospective Canadian buyers doing the same math?
Old 08-30-2006 | 01:24 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default I bought my car from the US (Tampla Bay) in June

It is an 06 C2S with 2500 miles (4400 KM) and had an Evolution Motorsports Stage 3+ kit on it. I saved $32000 cdn over MSRP (new) in Canada.

I spoke to PCNA and my local dealer about warranty and although PCNA says that the warranty is OK in Canada my local dealer will not be too cooperative when trying to get an appointment. You may be in a different situation as there are more dealers in your area. If you can save a lot of money and your are comfortable with the support then go for it.

BTW, I didn't just buy the car from the US to save some money, I wanted to buy a local car from a local dealer but they couldn't/wouldn't tell me what cars were coming in, as well they never even offered me a test drive (and I went to the dealer on three different weeks over four weeks)

Last edited by NorthVan; 02-21-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2006 | 03:22 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

yup lots of Canadians are doing it.
Now Canadian dealers will not do warranty repair on US imported cars.

It's a load of crap. Market protectionism at it's finest *rolls eyes*
I'm surprised that they don't realize they'll sell a lot more cars!
Old 08-30-2006 | 04:07 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Sounds like you all have to take legal action...maybe a class action type suit against the dealers-they're ripping you off. How about colusion/price fixing? Maybe unite through Porsche club/owners in Ca.? I don't know how they could refuse to work on a car....PCNA would have to force them to honor warranty.
John J
SA Texas
05'S
Old 08-30-2006 | 05:20 PM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

Hm. I just found this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...3&page=1&pp=15

Old 08-30-2006 | 06:36 PM
adelaide
Advanced

I'm going to buy one in the US in the next few months as well, just looking around for the right car.

Porsche wil honor the warranty in Canada, the dealers will make it difficult to book an appointment, that's all.
Old 08-30-2006 | 09:18 PM
Deven
Pro

If you live at a boarder town, one thought would be to drive down (on a Saturday for example) and have the car serviced then (for routine stuff) and not have to worry about Canadian service centers. This whole concept of holding a 'grudge' or 'biting the hand that feeds you' does not make any sense (well I am Canadian, so it is not a surprise afterall) as most dealership's service centers are almost a separate entity and they make money on service. For example, my brother bought an M3, and again the local dealer 'refused' to budge on price, even after showing them other dealers quotes, which were perhaps 6-700 dollars better, and all we asked them to do was match the price (1600 off sticker). At the end they said they could not do it, and to go ahead and buy the car elsewhere, BUT they would be more than happy to service the car. This is from the #1 BMW dealership in the country (North Scottsdale). They even took him around and showed him what a wounderful service center they have, offer free loaners, etc, to keep his service business.

Well I have somewhat a different attitude, and even for a few hundred dollars I would go elsewhere to buy a car (I too hold a grudge). At 35000 difference, you could have the car towed on a flatbed to an american service center and towed back, and then still be far better off than with the local dealers. Heck, if I was a business savy person, I would start a company that catered to Canadians who buy American cars, and provide flatbed/towing service to American service centers (BMW, Porsche, MB, etc, etc)........
Old 08-30-2006 | 11:06 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

As one with a US car I can tell you that Pfaff is not too cooperative but apparently Downtown Fine Cars is alot nicer about servicing US cars. FWIW: I will take my car to local independent shops for all maintenance from now on and only book (well ahead!) with the dealers for warranty service. With the CAD$ where it is now and heading for parity, there is no reasonable argument for spending an extra 30K to make the CDN dealers happy. It's your money, so maximize it's efectiveness.

Last edited by pongobaz; 08-30-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2006 | 11:39 PM
AaronB
Intermediate

I'm looking for a (slightly) used 911, and the difference in prices is striking. Looking at a 25-30K (CDN) difference after all taxes and duty, it just doesn't make sense to buy locally right now. Especially when the selection is so poor in Canada (even here in T.O.!)
Regardless of how the local dealers may treat a US car, I'll still be shipping one up.
Old 08-31-2006 | 10:45 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default Brett, is your car from the US, or did you buy from MCL

I am in Vancouver and found that MCL has been difficult on all aspects Sales, and now service (mainly due to the US status I am assuming). I would be interested to hear how you have found things.
Old 08-31-2006 | 01:08 PM
SS 81 SC
Track Day

Hi all,

I'm in Vancouver as well and owned a number of different Porsches in the last 10 years. My current car is a 2005 Cayenne S from the US which I purchased with 2500 miles in March 2006 from a Vancouver dealer. Savings over $30k CDN. The car needed a 2nd remote plus front license plate bracket and after the long wait for the key from Germany, I could not get an appointment over the phone from MCL to re-programme the key. After 3 tries over the phone, I stopped in to pick up my key and requested an appointment in person...they finally gave me one at least 30 days out.

Normally in the past, I've taken cars with warranty back to the dealer for servicing. With the Cayenne, I will be giving my money to an independent (likely Weissach who has serviced all my previous Porsches). I understand that MCL has a business to run and they have a right to the decisions that they are making but it seems very short sighted. With warranty items, I will request appointments in person at MCL or take the car across the border to the Porsche dealer in Bellingham.

This is bad press for Porsche and canadian approved dealers. I intend to share this with everyone I know including current MCL customers. There are at least 3 high end dealers in town bringing in US cars who are taking advantage of the low exchange rates, making a profit and still selling cars less than MCL and other approved dealers.
Old 08-31-2006 | 04:09 PM
rebe1
Racer

Did the math, did the research, and been driving my 997S for two months now
Old 09-04-2006 | 04:42 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Deven
Heck, if I was a business savy person, I would start a company that catered to Canadians who buy American cars
You get in trouble doing that. Or importing them and selling them rather.
BMW MB etc.. aren't as bad as Porsche.

Originally Posted by edward_generation
I am in Vancouver and found that MCL has been difficult on all aspects Sales, and now service (mainly due to the US status I am assuming). I would be interested to hear how you have found things.
I don't have a Porsche currently and haven't had to deal with MCL but I've heard things that reflect your opinions. Speedway motors, on the other hand, in Victoria, is supposedly quite good? However it may be different now with all the Porsche Cars Canada pressure to be tough on american cars.

Weissach is a GREAT group. That would be the VERY FIRST place I'd take a Porsche for service. Assuming that it was out of warranty, of course.
Old 09-04-2006 | 04:47 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SS 81 SC
This is bad press for Porsche and canadian approved dealers. I intend to share this with everyone I know including current MCL customers. There are at least 3 high end dealers in town bringing in US cars who are taking advantage of the low exchange rates, making a profit and still selling cars less than MCL and other approved dealers.
I can think off hand of london motorcars, the urban garage... whom else?
Old 09-04-2006 | 08:51 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
You get in trouble doing that. Or importing them and selling them rather.
BMW MB etc.. aren't as bad as Porsche.

I don't have a Porsche....

Weissach is a GREAT group. That would be the VERY FIRST place I'd take a Porsche for service.
Your recommendation for using Weissach is based upon what....? Personal experience with them doing work on your '83 Ford LTD....?

Quick Reply: Canadian buyers looking to purchase US models?