Sponsored by:

PCCB Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:06 AM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PCCB Question

I know these brakes are $7k option, but are they more expensive to maintain? I'm just trying to look at this from a long term prospective. Are they worth the extra cost? I don't plan on tracking the car.l
Old 08-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you're not tracking the car much I think you're fine.

I priced out the pads (about $100 over the regular pads retail) and although the rotors would be pricy to replace,--when's the last time anyone who doesn't track a 911 remember replacing a rotor?

I know I have never replaced a rotor in any of my 911s and I have done a fair amount of autocrossing and a little racing. The PCCBs will show virtually no wear for many many miles. I expect a life well over 150,000. That's my figure.

I have them on my 06 S Cab.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:01 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This subject has been covered many times but in summary, the PCCB rotors are designed to last for about 300,000 miles of "normal" use. The first generation PCCB rotors had some design issues that caused failures when used on the track. That issue has been corrected on the current design (gen 2) and the Porsche Driving Experience cars have racked up over 100k miles on PCCB's without any failures or rotor replacements. Now that mine are bedded in, I'm very impressed with their ability to haul the car down with so little pedal effort. Can't wait to get them on the track.

From what I hear, the pads last longer than traditional setup and there is virtually no brake dust compared to the standard brakes.

No brake dust is so nice, I keep pinching myself to see if I'm dreaming! If you've ever had a set of Fikse FM-10 wheels, brake dust is a nightmare. Those wheels take about 30 minutes each to clean...

MC
Old 08-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If you're not tracking the car much I think you're fine.

I priced out the pads (about $100 over the regular pads retail) and although the rotors would be pricy to replace,--when's the last time anyone who doesn't track a 911 remember replacing a rotor?

I know I have never replaced a rotor in any of my 911s and I have done a fair amount of autocrossing and a little racing. The PCCBs will show virtually no wear for many many miles. I expect a life well over 150,000. That's my figure.

I have them on my 06 S Cab.
Funny, because I've had service techs tell me I need new rotors after just 40k miles on both my 2001 and 2004.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:22 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by riad
Funny, because I've had service techs tell me I need new rotors after just 40k miles on both my 2001 and 2004.
PCCB?

I've replaced iron and stainless steel rotors with less than 40k miles but quite a few track days. PCCB should be a different story since they are much harder than steel or iron.

MC
Old 08-29-2006, 09:33 AM
tocho1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCCBs are phenomenal for both street and track. New ones are flawless. Get them if you can afford them.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
PCCB?

I've replaced iron and stainless steel rotors with less than 40k miles but quite a few track days. PCCB should be a different story since they are much harder than steel or iron.

MC
No they were steel rotors, I was eluding to Edgy's comment that he never replaced rotors on any of his 911's, I'm assuming they all didn't have PCCB rotors.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

That's correct. Prior to the current Porsche none of mine had the PCCBs, and the rotors were really bombproof. I can't understand even a steel rotor needing replacement at 40,000 miles.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:37 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

PCCBs do leave dust, it's just a lighter quantity (or lighter color) than steel brakes. In street driving, it's not really noticeable, but on the track, it's definitely there. And lobster forks are always difficult to clean, so it's kind of a tossup.

For regular street driving, I'd go with steel brakes (unless you've got to have the yellow calipers and pizza-pan rotors). Track, PCCB.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:43 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
PCCBs do leave dust, it's just a lighter quantity (or lighter color) than steel brakes. In street driving, it's not really noticeable, but on the track, it's definitely there. And lobster forks are always difficult to clean, so it's kind of a tossup.

For regular street driving, I'd go with steel brakes (unless you've got to have the yellow calipers and pizza-pan rotors). Track, PCCB.

Ok, I admit I'm overstating the no-dust issue but, when you are used to substantial brake dust and grime after 100 miles on steel or iron rotors, it's a pleasure to have virtually no visible brake dust after 300+ miles of PCCB street use.

It's definitely a nice benefit!

MC
Old 08-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default PCCB's

I too have the PCCB's Generation 2 on my 06 C2S. Yes it's worth it in my opinion. Stop like throwing out an anchor! However, when wet and I mean wet, they do not stop, very eye opening after a wash!

Right now, I have a whine coming from the front and may be a pad hung or piston hung up. Dealer has looked into it, but due to cost of these rotors ($5K per) they want the regional Porsche rep to investigate.

They do wear very very well. If changing a wheel, you need not one, but two wheel stud rods so you do not nick the rotor.

Yes they are big, yellow and weigh less than steel. Not much dust is another plus! Pedal feel if tracked, is same as the time you drove to the track. No fade! They like to be warmed up and when hot are stunning! The problem with 1st generation for street was if not heated up, they were poor performers and often had checking or worse, cracks.

If you are looking at high performace options, this is one great option. Cost is not too bad as the F430 ceramics cost an additional $22K!

I love my PCCB's!

Deanski
Old 09-02-2006, 03:24 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Deanski, can you elaborate on the "wet" part? I know you were talking about after washing the car - how are they in the rain compared to steel?
Old 09-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I can say that I never experienced a problem in the wet. I was driving in pouring rain several times in Southern Germany and Northern Italy without a problem,--period. I think it is when you fully wet them in an artificial situation like a deep soaking from a car wash. But then, didn't we always learn how to deal with that on all cars?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default PCCB's in Rain

Never drove it in hard rains as this car mostly sees sun only.

So, I can't really say for sure how they react when in rain.

But it's when I washed the car and was backing up I noticed the brakes or lack thereof not responding. They take a couple of revolutions to dry, then back to normal.

Still, with out a doubt, the PCCB's are one great option!

Deanski
Old 09-05-2006, 01:57 PM
tocho1
Instructor

Drove mine a couple of weeks ago at Watkins Glen in the wet...did not notice any difference. Worked phenomenally well, as they do when it's dry.

Quick Reply: PCCB Question