Sponsored by:

A great deal on a 997S launch car

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:39 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 617 Posts
Red face

There is no way I would take any car you farted in.

Thats right, Im an FMJ....what ya goin do about it
Old 08-29-2006, 08:56 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by zo6ok
Nice of you to post this info. From a cost standpoint, can the composite brakes be replaced with standard brakes? Do the composite brakes have a long life? Thanks.

Originally Posted by zo6ok
Sorry, dumb question. What I was trying to determine was if maintenance on these type of brakes is more frequent, and more expensive than standard brakes.
zo6ok - That is not a dumb question. Obviously, Vancouver didn't answer your question. The early (Generation I) PCCB's had "issues." These are Generation II PCCB's and are much better. They should last 3 to 4 times longer than standard brakes.

When it came time to replace the Gen. I PCCB's, many guys went with steel rotors and different pads rather than cough up $10K ++ for new PCCB's. You can do a "search" on PCCB here and on the 996 Forum or the GT2/GT3 Forum and will find some in depth, interesting reading on the PCCB's. Here is a recent thread that you may have already seen:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/295509-pccb-question.html
Old 08-29-2006, 09:06 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
There is no way I would take any car you farted in.

Thats right, Im an FMJ....what ya goin do about it
You're such a nutbag cos. Shouldn't you be out driving? Oh, nevermind.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:36 AM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm really interested

What other options does it have. It looks like it has a cd changer, does it have heated seats?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Chris L.
Pro

I hope Jeff does not mind that I jump in on this thread as well.

The launch cars are very nicely appointed and the ceramics are indeed wonderful. That is a good price.

I too have mine available if anyone is interested. It has 7800 miles on it and is a CPO car. It is identical, obviously, to Jeff's old car. It has NO stories.

I too would like to get 70k for it.

I don't have the Ferrari bug, but I do have the GT3 bug so someone help.

PM me if interested.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:51 AM
frayed
Race Car

Chris, no sweat. Ferrari of Houston owns the car so I have nothing to gain.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

I too have a launch car. Am considering Ruf supercharger. Value of 993 C2S (say 70k) + cost of Ruf conversion (22k) = 92k for more hp, torque than GT3. My car is Tip, which same as Turbo Tip, so no issues. At this point, most launch cars are 2 years out from in service date, so 2 yrs remain on warranty, which is same as Ruf full engine warranty. Tip is terrific on track, Supercharger HP exploits PCCB. GT3 w/ PCCB (c. $125k) vs C2S Ruf (c. 92)
Old 08-29-2006, 02:51 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Wow, Porsche depreciation is staggering these days. Maybe the ceramic brakes scare off buyers -- hence the dealer's reticense to mention them.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
zo6ok - That is not a dumb question. Obviously, Vancouver didn't answer your question. The early (Generation I) PCCB's had "issues." These are Generation II PCCB's and are much better. They should last 3 to 4 times longer than standard brakes.

When it came time to replace the Gen. I PCCB's, many guys went with steel rotors and different pads rather than cough up $10K ++ for new PCCB's. You can do a "search" on PCCB here and on the 996 Forum or the GT2/GT3 Forum and will find some in depth, interesting reading on the PCCB's. Here is a recent thread that you may have already seen:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295509
I didn't answer his question at all, I should've filled in the blanks.
Many of the original GT2 and GT3 owners with the first generation PCCB brakes felt somewhat cheated by porsche due to the high cost of replacement - and rightfully so, although Porsche denies it all day long, they were, in many people's opinions, used as guinea pigs. Their cars were real world test vehicles.
The PCCB's are reportedly a tad vague until they warm up, from what I've read - not like the steel brakes. Personally, I don't really see a HUGE benefit to PCCB's, as Porsche's steel brakes are still the world standard... However, again, I have no firsthand experience, and I do not want to play magazine racer. If you're looking at these cars, go out and try them out back to back. Make your own decision on whether it's worth the extra few thousand.

I will say however that PCCB is one option that seems to hold it's value pretty well... A big red car will usually be a few thousand less than an identical PCCB car.

Rest assured although the first PCCB's were a bit of an issue, I hear the new brakes are much better. As well, the first generation PCCB's had pads that when they got hot, would lose braking power - leading many of those owners to switch pads to more race oriented pads.

I think that's right. I'm recalling all this from memory, so let me know if I got anything wrong guys.

A great thread has just come up - https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295509 yet more debate over PCCB
Old 08-29-2006, 07:24 PM
frayed
Race Car

No issues with vagueness here on warmup. PCCBs will pull you eyeballs out of your skull on decleration. They don't dust either (well, maybe 20% of steels), and reduce weight at the corners for a more lively feel.

The only downside is that after a carwash or heavy rain, there's a lag in braking action upon first application. First time it made me go ------->

In short, I wish my Ferrari had them.

EDIT: one more downside, makes heel toe shifting a bit more challenging because they are so sensitive.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:00 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
In short, I wish my Ferrari had them.

aieee, no stradale?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:02 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Wow, Porsche depreciation is staggering these days. Maybe the ceramic brakes scare off buyers -- hence the dealer's reticense to mention them.
unfortunately it may only take one dealer undercutting the market with a nice car like this to reprice the entire market as other vehicles are benchmarked against it. buyers will look at this with all the high end options and start knocking back cars with fewer options. premature depreciation...wonder if they have a pill for that? i need a drink...
Old 08-29-2006, 09:53 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris L., where are you located?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:59 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Christ you are a paranoid lot. It's a Ferrari dealer that knows pretty much nothing about selling used Porsches. See my posts above. They misplaced my window sticker and threw it up on their site based on what I told them.

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
aieee, no stradale?
My first Ferrarri had to have a gated shifter

Originally Posted by tarpon1
unfortunately it may only take one dealer undercutting the market with a nice car like this to reprice the entire market as other vehicles are benchmarked against it. buyers will look at this with all the high end options and start knocking back cars with fewer options. premature depreciation...wonder if they have a pill for that? i need a drink...
Do you party with 911fan??? Geesh.

One dealer offered my 64k cash for my car.

Another dealer (local) 65k cash.

Both were based on auction selling prices. The Ferrari dealer won't make much money on my car all things considered, and to think that my prior car is being dumped on the market is just plain silly. It is a killer price on a car that is worth only 65k wholesale. Simple as that.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:35 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

i totally agree that it's a killer price on a great car...i guess my point was that as a potential seller myself, i would wait for this car to trade before listing mine as this will crush anything in that price bracket. my hope is simply that the market doesn't reset based on a dealer blowing out inventory on the low side. i would have hoped the depreciation would have been a little slower. i am also aware that dealers are notorious back bidders on trade ins as i discovered when buying my 750li. i thought his offer was ridiculous. 9 months later his level looks pretty good. i also very much appreciate your highlighting it here and hopefully someone will be able to take advantage of it.

Quick Reply: A great deal on a 997S launch car