Sponsored by:

Worried...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:29 PM
rmira
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worried...

I've had my C2 since May, it has 4400 miles. It has been to the dealer for two relatively major problems: loose bolts on the clutch, and leaking coolant. I love the car, but I'm getting a little worried. Are regular trips to the dealer part of Porsche ownership? Are they just 'tempermental', (as several people warned before I purchased)?

This is especially bothersome because the closest 'P' dealer is 2 hours away.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

No, that is not normal. If anything else goes wrong with your 997 I would start to write letters to PCNA with some Lemon Law wording.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:37 PM
OldManIn911
Intermediate

I've had my C2 since April with just under 4000 miles and no problems whatsoever. I had my now departed C4S for 6 years with no major mechanical problems (unexplained cracked windshield). My current C2 is my 5th Porsche and none have had any major mechanical problems....... so, I hope your two problems this early in ownership will be your last. Good luck with it......maybe I've just been exceptionally lucky, but in my opinion they are wonderful cars.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:18 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every Porsche I've had has been bulletproof, not temperament like MB.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:26 PM
boolala
Race Car

Same here with an N of 1.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:16 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

rmira, mine has been nothing but pain in the a *** with problems. This morning it was raining and as I pulled out of the garage my driver's side window would not go up. By the way, I was on my way to the dealer with yet another "return to workshop" notice.

That said, I've studied the matter and realize that these problems are not common to p-cars. On the contrary, almost everything I've read or anyone I've spoken to tell me that p-cars are reliable. Mine was just a weird one. Thank God that I leased it and that in 16 months I'll get another one. The odds are that I will not have these problems again. Hang in there.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

You could also chalk it up to a first generation of a new model. One reason I try to avoid it if possible.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:22 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmira
loose bolts on the clutch
That would worry me the most. The way they install the clutch at the factory has this large, purpose built machine that puts in 4 (I think) bolts at a time so the pressure plate is torqued evenly accross the surface. If that was loose, I would wonder how it was installed since that is a robotic install. Also, I would worry that the dealer didn't take such care torquing the pressure plate evenly.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:23 PM
frayed
Race Car

4 porsches including a 997S. no problems except for a few minor annoyances.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:45 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Outside of the servo motor going off when detailing the car I have not had a problem. By the way they put a new servo motor in mine and I have not had a problem with it since.

Jay
Old 08-29-2006, 11:15 PM
rmira
Instructor

Update: The SA called and said they found the coolant leak, a hose had been cut, they suspect road debris caused it; but they will cover it under warranty. Right now they are trying to locate a hose and will advise when they've found one. He said the hose was the one located next to the pump. The service advisor's explanation seemed a little strange. I saw coolant residue around the cap and showed it to him. I've also not run over any debris that would've caused a cut in a hose.

Oh well - I guess I'll try to enjoy the Boxster they've given me as a loaner - handles pretty nice, but a serious drop off in power. The engine makes noise like it should be going fast, but doesn't. Very cramped - I miss those 'tiny' backseats.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:03 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

See man you don't have it so bad. I have had my car in the shop more than 30 days in the last two months. Repeated CEL. I bought my car new in December. It now has all of 5k miles on it, and they are replacing the engine. To top it off I have a really sweet red Pontiac Grand Prix to drive. No offense to anyone who has that car, but I can see why GM is in the ****ter given teh kind of car they build. So you do not have it that bad. At least all my **** is covered under warranty too, but I have no confidence in this car. Frankly I think it is a lemon, and I wish I could say I was looking forward to getting it back but honestly I am not. I will probably never have the confidence in it that I should. TO top it off i have written two letters and made two seperate phone calls to PCNA about my car trying to see if they would work something out with me. I was ignored, given a run around, told my regional manager would call within 72 hours which he failed to do. My overall experience with the whole thing has been something less than desireable. IN fact a 72 hour turn around time on something of this nature that I deem quite serious is totally, completely embarassing and unacceptable. The really sad thing of it all is I am simply more concerned about my car and the longevity than anything. I am not mad, I am have been incredibly respectful and non threatening in all of my communications with them, and I feel like they could not care less. They just hope I go away, and they do not have to take back a car or deal with me. I expected so much more.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:36 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Apparently the J.D. Powers survey folks called these owners while they were having dinner or were otherwise unavailable. I wonder how Porsche wins the #1 Quality ranking when we see these kinds of postings. Maybe these fellows are a very small minority in the overall population J.D. Powers uses in their study.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:08 AM
boolala
Race Car

It's just a form of selection bias: people who are unhappy are more likely to complain. Few people would bother starting a thread merely to say "hey, I've had my car for 12 months and no problems."

I would tend to believe the JD powers survey. I know they were relentless in getting my input. If they do this to everybody they are more likely to get a representative sample of what owners really think. Certianly better than logging on to Rennlist and clicking on all the threads started by the squeeky wheels...
Old 08-30-2006, 02:37 AM
micgreeny
Instructor

4000 miles on my C2 no problems,no dealer trips.---------mike

Quick Reply: Worried...