Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update-Channel 8 Wants to Interview Me Regarding My Porsche/Gunpoint Incident

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 10:22 AM
searching4996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"However, per a discussion we had, Channel 8 will not conduct the interview (and neither would I) if the focus is on the police rather than DMV. This is about the DMV and their procedures. I do not care if I antagonize DMV or expose this kink in their system. In fact, I want to expose this blunder on their part. What are they going to do to me....not renew my registrations....

The only issue within this interview and its focus is how DMV could have issued a stolen plate, which was ultimately discovered when police ran my plate and it came back as a stolen. At that point I will talk about how the dramatical portion of the story...that DMV issued me a stolen plate which caused the police to think my vehicle was stolen, and therefore initiated a felony traffic stop."

Ok, forget what I said in the previous post if this is your plan. A DMV that can issue you a stolen plate that caused this nightmarish scenario for BOTH you and the police ought to be exposed for the incompetent idiots that they've become.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:04 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by searching4996
A DMV that can issue you a stolen plate that caused this nightmarish scenario for BOTH you and the police ought to be exposed for the incompetent idiots that they've become.
Finally! Someone is going to share the "secret" that DMV employees are not rocket scientists. Won't that be a shock to the viewing public.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:48 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sws1
Finally! Someone is going to share the "secret" that DMV employees are not rocket scientists. Won't that be a shock to the viewing public.
Agreed! Another startling scientific revelation! And that is EXACTLY why I predict the "news" story is going to take a serious turn for the worse for Dario. Because there really is no "news" here. The DMV in most states is just plain awful, and the TV "journalists" will find a way to spin the story once they get the interviewee going.

Once under the camera, the lights, the crew and the bubble headed bleached blond would put anyone under the ether. It's all downside.

Good luck if you move forward....
Old 08-27-2006, 12:01 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I sure hope tht at you have nothing, and I mean nothing that you might be embarassed about from your past. Sometimes these story can get pretty intense when the investigation stories start.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:14 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

I agree with Edgy. There's no need to string them up over it. I would make a visit to the station that's for sure (daughter in tow--if you haven't already). I strongly believe they owe your daugher big time. That's my two cents...good luck.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:39 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

imho: I would get closure by meeting with top dmv officers and, if necessary, with the top cop. If they shrug you off, then you can make a decision regarding the media. I assume that you want to correct the system and procedures, not punish the idiots that followed them. And you may be able to have an impact if you work internally, with patience, and a sense of maturity. I know, it’s easier said than done when you're pissed off....and God knows, I would really be ticked off and would want to see every one involved hung....but the reality is that the policy is the problem and that is what needs to be changed.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Many years ago I had an encounter with the postal authorities over pathetic mail service in Nashua, NH. Their 'supervisor' came out to address their issues. I wound up obtaining substantial leverage over that supervisor,--no need to go into what the guy did. But my wife wisely suggested that I do nothing,--that I would forever have then in the palm of my hand. I didn't and I did. Mail service was perfect from then on. No whining about snow removal around the box, nothing.

Sometimes when you have them owing you, you wind up in a much better position. I could have easily let higher ups deal with the guy but I chose to let HIM solve the real issue for me,--timely, no static, mail delivery. I know this isn't the same as what you ran into with the police. But just them knowing that you COULD have gone to the media can sometimes be effective enough in changing situation for everyone.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Dario, I admire the fact that your motivation for wanting to do the interview is purely for the good.

The thing that would give me pause about going the full TV-interview route is whether there is any guarantee that channel 8 won't be receiving comments ex parte from the officers involved. After all, the sexy part of the story to the Action News thugs would be the roadside shakedown that resulted from from DMV's sloppy stolen plate protocols. Who knows if the involved officers or their CO will tend to be more defensive/reactionary in their comments to the TV reporters?.. possibly shifting the focus early in the interview to the presence of your (perfectly legal) firearm in order to preemptively justify any overwrought tactics of the officers during their initial investigation taking place along the shoulder of the freeway.

How regrettable that we've reached this level of distrust of our media, leads to my concern similar to that posted earlier in this thread-- that the channel 8 reporters will have much more than a passing interest in the "expressway pursuit by several police units... armed motorist driving new Porsche pulled from vehicle at gunpoint... mistaken for someone boosting exotic cars... were the police just 'doing their job'?"... aspect of the story. Especially if, as you mentioned, they are asking you for a videotaped ride-along to recreate the scene. Good luck in any event.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:23 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

The public doesn't care- they'll be envious of your car and happy this happened to you.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:57 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Default So, what happened? How was the story?

Any reaction from police, others?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:00 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have fairly high visability in my Community. Once I actually went on TV to "right a wrong".

I so regretted it after I saw what they did.

Walk Away.

I know, you'll do what you want.

Walk Away.

You won't fix anything. They're right here. TV cares about ...TV. The only ones who will always look good are the reporters. Other than that, all bets are off.

Did I suggest you Walk Away? You're bigger than this.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:45 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allegretto
I have fairly high visability in my Community. Once I actually went on TV to "right a wrong".

I so regretted it after I saw what they did.

Walk Away.

I know, you'll do what you want.

Walk Away.

You won't fix anything. They're right here. TV cares about ...TV. The only ones who will always look good are the reporters. Other than that, all bets are off.

Did I suggest you Walk Away? You're bigger than this.
You said what I really wanted to say, only I would substitute the word "walk" with "run". And I might add, "as fast as you can".
Old 08-29-2006, 10:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

I' m happy to hear that you won't be putting the police force in a bad light. I don't think I'd want to do anything to **** off a couple thousand heavily armed guys, some of whom already have a chip on their shoulder.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
I' m happy to hear that you won't be putting the police force in a bad light. I don't think I'd want to do anything to **** off a couple thousand heavily armed guys, some of whom already have a chip on their shoulder.
Thanks, but don't worry about us, we won't. Its all about Dario right now, the question around here is whether or not he will ...
Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Have you met with the Police Chief? Have you spoken to the DA and Mayor of your town/city? Did the officers have a "dash camera/video"? Have that reviewed. That's the way I would proceed first. If it falls on deaf ears, then explore the news route but seek legal advise as to how you are portrade prior to release to air. You want to show the obvious wekaness in DMV, but mostly the use of excessive force in a situation that you were clearly not a risk or threat.

Some police do get very pumped when a stop of a possible felony, but still must show some professional restraint.

It's where you want to go with this.

Deanski

Quick Reply: Update-Channel 8 Wants to Interview Me Regarding My Porsche/Gunpoint Incident