Sponsored by:

Update-Channel 8 Wants to Interview Me Regarding My Porsche/Gunpoint Incident

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck
yeah making the police look bad wouldn't be good for them - however I doubt they would make ife tough for someone who has no problem exposing it. When you live your life in fear of police retaliation - there's something wrong.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:00 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

I have seen too many instances of the media (TV and press) distorting the story in order to make it more sensational, reflect the political bias of the reporter, cater to the mass audience and do the easy/lazy thing to ever trust them. Every time I see a story where I know the true facts I am amazed at the staggering level of misinformation, mostly intentional or grossly negligent. I am no fan of the police (they too can be lazy and biased), but compared to the press they are well intentioned and honorable.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:42 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

If that chief of police hasn't bought your daughter a hot chocolate and apologized, now is the time for him to do it. And, I bet he'd be willing.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:49 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I would absolutely decline the interview, the media is serves only to create entertainment value and will ultimately cause a negative backlash. You are an attorney and have a good understanding of the system.

If your desire is to send the message to the police force that what they did is improper, then I would go directly to the police chief and set up a one on one meeting with him and have him provide you a root cause, corrective action and prevention plan to you. They made an error and they need to fix it for you. So, I would deploy the exact opposite strategy if you require more attention to this matter.

The last thing I would want more publicity, especially with a child involved. If you want your pound of flesh, meet with the chief, give him an opportunity to correct it and move on with your life.

No press is ever good press.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:23 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After thinking it. You did have a gun in the car. You had it legally and the papers for it. But the press might make that the story "What are you doing with a gun with a kid, etc".

When things like this happen I run it by an attorney that I trust. Maybe you ought to do that.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I would do the interview, but be careful. DO NOT TRUST THE MEDIA. They will try to turn what you say into whatever they want it to be. If they ask you a question that you don't want to answer, just tell them something that you want them to hear rather than answering their question their question directly. Hell, if it's a good enough method for the politicians, it's good enough for you!
Old 08-27-2006, 12:46 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
I would look for another way to get my pound of flesh.
Yea, come to think of it I'd maybe get the chief on the blower between now and Monday AM. He'll probably be kissing your *** if he gets wind of the press getting involved.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:42 AM
4thporsche
Racer

The upside to pursuing this is minimal, if any. Why drag your daughter through this?? Let go of it.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Absolutely decline the interview. Television is interested in one thing,--sensation. You would be amazed at how quickly they can take your story and distort it to THEIR advantage. The only way I'd agree to such an interview is to have final say over the entire story,--and they would never give that to you.

You have considerably more leverage in the future with the local police if you DON'T do the interview. If you do, they will not be pleased with the bad publicity,--and they could be less than lenient in any future encounters with you,--legit or otherwise.

This tale is best told in the newspapers,--where they have a better chance of getting the entire tale down right. I don't condone what the police did. But you want to be a friend of the authorities and not that 'guy on TV who made us look like fools.'
Old 08-27-2006, 08:30 AM
TomFromCT
Instructor

As unpleasant as your experience with the police was, it may seem like a piece of cake once the media runs your story. I can see it now - "Local man in Porsche with loaded gun and daughter in car stopped, then released by police - Film at 11:00".
While I believe the police owe you an apology, I would take my chances with them any day against getting a fair shake by the media.
I would run, don't walk, away from the doing the story.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:39 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't prescribe to the idea of "protecting the public by telling my story in the media". I believe that deep down, that is an excuse to try to get back at the offender some how. I don't see any upside by going to the media. You'll come across as the "rich, gun-toting father who's bitter he got pulled over.".
Old 08-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, and many good suggestions.

Just to set the record straight, the interview will not mention the police in any negative light, or any guns, bazookas, surface to air missiles or anything else in my car.

Somewhow the replies have focused on police involvement and how the police will get even with me.

However, per a discussion we had, Channel 8 will not conduct the interview (and neither would I) if the focus is on the police rather than DMV. This is about the DMV and their procedures. I do not care if I antagonize DMV or expose this kink in their system. In fact, I want to expose this blunder on their part. What are they going to do to me....not renew my registrations....

The only issue within this interview and its focus is how DMV could have issued a stolen plate, which was ultimately discovered when police ran my plate and it came back as a stolen. At that point I will talk about how the dramatical portion of the story...that DMV issued me a stolen plate which caused the police to think my vehicle was stolen, and therefore initiated a felony traffic stop.

Thanks for your concerns, but rest assured I will not antagonize the local police or mention any wrong doing.

And yes, my inention really is to let the public know what can happen with DMV issued plate, BECAUSE it is my hope enough pressure will be applied to at least cause DMV to look at their procedures in issuing personalized plates. I am not after "a pound of flesh" as was suggested, nor am I trying to portray "some rich guy with a gun in his car" as was also suggested ??????????

There was an excellent suggestion to go to the local paper. This I plan to do tomorrow morning. I do want the public to know this can happen to them, and I would love to see DMV alter their procedures so this does not happen again.

That is really all there is to it.

Thanks again everyone for your support and suggestions. Have a wonderful Sunday. Today I am going flying, but first off to Starbuck's .......
Old 08-27-2006, 09:56 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't do it! You have no power over the editing and the station will air whatever is in their best interest....not yours. Fkying below the radar is always safer.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:57 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
I am not after "a pound of flesh" as was suggested, nor am I trying to portray "some rich guy with a gun in his car" as was also suggested ??????????
I'm not saying YOUR intent is to portray that image. I'm saying that is how it will come across in the press, because that is how the story will be spun by the people creating the story. You don't have control of the story, only what you say. You have no idea how this will turn out. And my guess is that it won't come out the way you want.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:17 AM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by Coochas
I would be very careful here. Sounds to me (given use of the word egregious) that this reporter wants to make you look good and the police look bad. The "Blue Shield" can be a real pain in the *** if you get them on your bad side.

If you have to live and drive in that area for work/play, I'd seriously reconsider the "Geraldo" story. The next time you get pulled over for doing 40 in a 25 you'll get zero sympathy from the police, and they may in fact harrass you worse if you make them look bad.

Quick Reply: Update-Channel 8 Wants to Interview Me Regarding My Porsche/Gunpoint Incident