Sponsored by:

997 Quirks

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Speeds2Much
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Quirks

I'm considering the purchase of a 997 when my business lease is up in '07, and in fact, almost bought a first-year 997 instead of the BMW 330ci that I drive. Basically, I drove the 997 and loved it in some ways (engine sound, ergonomics, look) but thought the car with PASM, even in sport mode, bobbed too much during the test drive, and second, the car's very rough idle seemed like the engineers dialing in some "rawness" in a sort of in-your-face way, which at this price point turned me off. After the sudden letdown, I drove a BMW and liked it, so thought it would be good enough...and I'd save money. As it turned out, my BMW creaks over bumps, the steering rack is surprisingly crude (i.e., it's not linear, fluid), and the power curve is not as flat as it seemed during the brief test drive...not acceptable for a $45,000 car, so my next car will not be a BMW.

Is there a way I can button down a 997 with aftermarket suspension bits while still making it a drivable street car, or better yet, is there a European-style sport suspension coming to the States soon? Or is this marked nose lightness a quirk specific to the rear engine configuration? And second, is Porsche going to switch the engine mounts and make this car's rough idle go away? Personally, I can't live with that...I literally will get car sick.

Maybe I'm more of a Cayman/Boxster S buyer, but I like the Targa configuration for a daily driver and GT, which is how I would use the car. Thanks for any comments.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:06 PM

Did you drive more than one? If not, go test an 06 or 07 to be sure it wasn't just a fluke with the car you drove.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:21 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your time driving the 997, you'll need more seat time and do not let anyone rush you during the test drive phase. Drive the 997 with different options PASM, no PASM... etc., Above ALL take your time and drive her in different types of road surfaces, on ramps, off ramps... You know the drill.

Hope you find what your looking for... good luck!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a puddy purring car, check the new 335ci from BMW. I went to munich and saw one. Quite good looking (again one of those it takes time to wear in looks) and the TT engine was silent with the right touch of grunt. Didn't drive it though but the specs (300hp, 300+lbs/ft) is quite spectacular. You'll find it's easier to dial in aggressiveness than to take out, and BMW tuners are all over the place.
You should also look at the Audi RS4. If it were just a little bigger like the RS6 I'd get it. That V8 is raw muscle with refinement and nothing this side of a GT3 can keep up with it. It's not as agile as a porsche in twisties but more stable in high speed corners Only niggly is the high speed (like 150mph) hard braking, the chasis gets a little unsettled.
The rough idle of the 997 engine is just the tuning that high performance engines have. If you want silky quiet idle, get yourself on the TESLA list, dead quiet electric motor car. Otherwise to expect Lexus quiet and Porsche gofast in the same car, I'd say the only one I've ever owned that remotely fits that bill is the Acura NSX, oh how I miss that car and can't wait for its replacement.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:54 PM
clif
Advanced

they are very sensitive to tire pressurs/ i find that the bobbing somewhat dissapears at the correct partial pressures (33/ 39) when delivered at 39/44 it drove me nuts. that being said, as i drove with conviction the car settled down and i got more confidence in it
Old 08-25-2006, 05:08 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Nose bobbing is a 911 charactaristic. That light front end is prone to bouncing a bit but also can change directions in an instant which contributes to that legendary turn-in capability and steering feedback.

My 997S idles a bit rough too but I kinda like it. Feels a bit cammy, like it's eager to get going.

I recently drove an '06 Boxster and must say it was very impressive and drove beautifully. I wanted to find fault with it but it just kept charming me. And, it was a standard Boxsteron 17" wheels with nice comfy ride and a rev happy little engine that pulled with authority. But, it didn't have that aggressive, edgy, purposeful personality that the 997 has.

The 997 technically is a GT although it most definitely thinks it's a sports car. I recently installed Cargraphic lowering springs and that planted things a bit more. The 997S has a balance shaft in the engine that the 997 doesn't so that might be a consideration. Either way, if you want a 997, you'll probably have to live with a slightly rough idle and light front end. But, you'll find yourself leaving early for work and driving out to lunch for no apparent reason.

MC
Old 08-25-2006, 05:55 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clif
they are very sensitive to tire pressurs/ i find that the bobbing somewhat dissapears at the correct partial pressures (33/ 39) when delivered at 39/44 it drove me nuts. that being said, as i drove with conviction the car settled down and i got more confidence in it
Mine is all over when the tire pressure is 33/39. Much more stable at 37/44 with less rolling on heavy turning. Running on 19" Carrera Classic wheels and PS2. My O2.....
Topic is a Dead Horse ...but interesting.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Speeds2Much
Track Day

Default Thanks

Thanks for the great replies, and no, I only drove one 997...I should check another one out before making a final judgment. But the idea of a base Boxster is not a bad one...I could buy it and lease something else for business. I'll chew this over this winter and post on Rennlist when I buy my Porsche...the right one for me.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
The 997S has a balance shaft in the engine that the 997 doesn't so that might be a consideration.
Do you mean counter-rotating balance shafts like the 944/968 4-cylinders? Not in any current Porsche motors...
Old 08-25-2006, 07:18 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Do you mean counter-rotating balance shafts like the 944/968 4-cylinders? Not in any current Porsche motors...
I remember reading about it in the internal factory 997 product guide for Porsche sales people. It said that the 3.8 uses a anti-vibration shaft or device. The 3.6 does not.

I'll dig it up tonight and post the exact language. Quite frankly, I was a bit bothered by it because it's just another source of parasitic hp loss and flywheel effect.

MC
Old 08-25-2006, 07:30 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

I'd suggest driving three 997's and a Cayman and Boxster. Get a feel for the cars and then determine whether or not it makes sense for you. Take your time on this decision as it's an expensive one.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:29 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It's not a shaft, but an aluminum harmonic balancer. Not much different in terms of my previously expressed dislike of such things...

Here is the exact quote:

"2.3.2 Vibration Balancer

The higher gas forces of the 3.8 litre engine result in higher crankshaft torsional vibrations than the 3.6 litre engine due to transmission of these forces across the pistons and the crankshaft drive (rod and crankshaft). To reduce these torsional vibrations, the 3.8 litre engine is equipped with a vibration balancer attached to the crankshaft.

Vibration balancers are generally manufactured from cast iron. This increases the weight of the component and reduces revving ability and spontenaiety. A vibration balancer made from aluminum is used to counteract these drawbacks. The use of aluminum reduces the weight of the component without affecting its operation. The vibration damper has enabled the torsional vibrations in the entire rev range to be brought below the level of the 3.6 litre engine and pronounced resonance peaks to be avoided. An additional advantage is the harmonious and full sound it gives the 3.8 litre engine. the weight savings in comparison with a conventional cast iron balancer is approximately 3.5 lbs."

Still more weight I didn't want... I hate weight, especiall in the engine, drivetrain or unsprung, rotating mass.
MC

Quick Reply: 997 Quirks