Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche: 2005 C2S or 2007 Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Mineral
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Porsche: 2005 C2S or 2007 Cayman S?

This probably seems like a weird question to some of you guys, but I'd appreciate some advice or opinions.

I've never owned a Porsche before, or even a real sports car. But I've decided it's now or never. I'll probably never be as serious as most of you guys - I mostly want a car I can have fun with day-to-day. Also, because I don't have a usable left knee, I'm restricted to getting a tiptronic...although I'd really love to be able to drive a manual.

So here's the deal:

I've driven a Cayman S at my local dealer, and found it a lot of fun. I was set to get one - they're giving pretty good discounts right now. But recently a business associate offered to sell me his tiptronic 2005 C2S at what I think is a really good price (11000 miles, really well equipped including ceramic brakes for $71,000).

I've driven both cars, and am having trouble figuring out which I might like best over the long run given my intended use. The Cayman seems quicker and easier to drive and maybe more fun to my sensibilities - but I'm a novice so I wonder if over time, I'd learn to appreciate the 911 S more.

What do you guys think?

Thanks, Chris
Old 08-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Due to your new status with sports cars, much less Porsche, I would suggest the Cayman over the 911. The 911 is a funny car, although they did tame a lot of that in this latest 997 car. My first Porsche was a mid-engined car and I learned on that one,--been a 911 driver ever since. But walk, and then run. There will be plenty of opportunities to get a 911 down the road. Porsche is certainly not going out of business anytime soon.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:12 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a special balancing act driving the 997 that I've tried to master over the past 20 yrs. It takes practice to drive the 997 well on the street and track (it’s not easy). If you think your good, go ahead a ride with a professional 911 race car driver. You’ll soon learn that you don’t know half the cars potential. Everyone not experience with the balance of the 997 drives the car like a novice, but you can tell when an experience driver is focused and tune. Every time I get behind my 964, 993, and 997 it’s a test on how well I know their different driving characteristics.

If you want to feel like a professional race car driver, get the Cayman its much easier to drive compared to the 997. If you want to learn and master a rear engine sport car without getting bored on learning and mastering its characteristics get the 997.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:44 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Go for the 911

I purchased a couple of cars before the 911 thinking they would be as good...not true..I have a C2S and it is a blast at slow speeds, moderate speeds, even high speeds...the car has some challenges but they in no way distract from enjoying the car...also...in Nevada you do not pay sales tax on a car sold between private parties..not sure about CA...The cayman is great, no doubt, but you will still think about the 911...Any choice you make will be the right one for you...Cayman or 911 !! Christopher
Old 08-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the brand spanking new one.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

I will get the 911, or wait for the 2007 Boxster S which has the same 295hp, open top, and still cheaper than a Cayman S. The Cayman S is a very good car, but at its price is simply not a good buy.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:04 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

C2S

You can always get a cheaper Cayman in the future
Old 08-25-2006, 01:05 PM
krC2S
Racer

maaan just get the 911 unless you really want a new car

no disrespect but ignore all this talk about 911 such a delicate thing and get something else 1st unless you are ready... if you are just driving the car in the street in a normal way then you are not any different from most owners ..just get what you like and you'll get used to it just like anything else
Old 08-25-2006, 01:42 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krC2S
maaan just get the 911 unless you really want a new car

no disrespect but ignore all this talk about 911 such a delicate thing and get something else 1st unless you are ready... if you are just driving the car in the street in a normal way then you are not any different from most owners ..just get what you like and you'll get used to it just like anything else
Most 911 drivers do not drive thier cars NORMAL, we look for safe opportunities to exercise our skills and take full advantage of what we drive. If you want to drive the 997 with the PSM on drive NORMAL, get a HONDA!
Old 08-25-2006, 01:57 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by Mineral
This probably seems like a weird question to some of you guys, but I'd appreciate some advice or opinions.

I've never owned a Porsche before, or even a real sports car. But I've decided it's now or never. I'll probably never be as serious as most of you guys - I mostly want a car I can have fun with day-to-day. Also, because I don't have a usable left knee, I'm restricted to getting a tiptronic...although I'd really love to be able to drive a manual.

So here's the deal:

I've driven a Cayman S at my local dealer, and found it a lot of fun. I was set to get one - they're giving pretty good discounts right now. But recently a business associate offered to sell me his tiptronic 2005 C2S at what I think is a really good price (11000 miles, really well equipped including ceramic brakes for $71,000).

I've driven both cars, and am having trouble figuring out which I might like best over the long run given my intended use. The Cayman seems quicker and easier to drive and maybe more fun to my sensibilities - but I'm a novice so I wonder if over time, I'd learn to appreciate the 911 S more.

Thanks, Chris
I have a 996 and my previous ride was a boxster. I just drove a 997 's' back to back with a cayman 's'

I personally much prefer the cayman, and that will be my next car.

I would buy the 997 if I needed the back seats and I had the '911 is the only true porsche' mentality

I love all porsches and right now, I can't improve upon a mid-engined 2 seater for fun
Old 08-25-2006, 02:12 PM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by cvazquez
Most 911 drivers do not drive thier cars NORMAL, we look for safe opportunities to exercise our skills and take full advantage of what we drive. If you want to drive the 997 with the PSM on drive NORMAL, get a HONDA!
i ddin't mean normal mode of PASM just normal street driving as opposed to track driving where you can get "full advantage of what you have"

i have 20+ track days on my car but i don't have to assume that everyone else is the same
Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
I have a 996 and my previous ride was a boxster. I just drove a 997 's' back to back with a cayman 's'

I personally much prefer the cayman, and that will be my next car.

I would buy the 997 if I needed the back seats and I had the '911 is the only true porsche' mentality

I love all porsches and right now, I can't improve upon a mid-engined 2 seater for fun

I drove the 997 and the Cayman S, but I much prefer the 997. I guess we can't go wrong with either choice.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:28 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krC2S
i ddin't mean normal mode of PASM just normal street driving as opposed to track driving where you can get "full advantage of what you have"

i have 20+ track days on my car but i don't have to assume that everyone else is the same
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 08-25-2006, 02:51 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by cvazquez
I drove the 997 and the Cayman S, but I much prefer the 997. I guess we can't go wrong with either choice.
No, they are both awesome. Right now I have a window of opportunity to have a 2 seater which will disappear in 4-5 years.

Once that window is up, I can virtually guarantee seeing myself getting into a 997 (or 998) - mainly because of having small kids in the back seat
Old 08-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

From a 'cost' point of view, the C2S is a no brainer, as I suspect the MRSP on that was close to 100K (if not more because of the tip). That means the car has passed the steep depriciation curve. The cayman appropriately configured will likely MRSP at the same amount.

From a performance stand point, for day to day driving, the C2S will likely trump the cayman because of the significant HP advantage. On the track, it may be more debatable, but any fear of not being able to handle the 911 on regular roads should not be a deterant, as most SUV's are likely more UNSTABLE than any 997 will be. My vote goes for the 997. I am a prior Boxster owner and loved that car as well (but after having a 997, I cannot go back).

Quick Reply: First Porsche: 2005 C2S or 2007 Cayman S?