Sponsored by:

Detailing ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Jaws12
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Detailing ???

I have the clear Road Guard on my 997s and I am not sure how to detail. When I wax the car do I just wax over the clear film??
Old 08-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

From what I was told by Moe (glisteningperfection.com), it depends on what wax you are using. I use Zymol Concours and it's fine to use on 3M Clear Bra.

For the Road Guard I sugest you email Moe and find out.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use Plexus on the clear film. Wax has mostly yellow carnuba in it and will leave a yellow film when waxed of paint protection films.

You could go with a sealant, but you should be very careful on what is applied.

ALWAYS ask the installing company what to use to first keep clean and second protect/maintain.

Wax your unprotected areas and use Plexus on the film to avoid problems. Always use the best MF towels for the film and color-code these so only those get used on the film. If the film is war/hot, some and most MF towels will loose fiber on the "sticky" warm/hot film. Let the area cool before cleaning and wiping. Always wash first before any QD (Quck Detailer) use on the film to avoid scratching it.

Sealants, use VOC compliant ones, low solvent or the film will become milky.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-27-2006, 12:45 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Depending on which zymol wax you use, the ratio of yellow to white carnauba changes. For zymol's higher-end waxes, Concours and up, 80%, by vloume, is white carnauba and the rest is yellow. So you'll be safe in this case from the film not yellowing.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Depending on which zymol wax you use, the ratio of yellow to white carnauba changes. For zymol's higher-end waxes, Concours and up, 80%, by vloume, is white carnauba and the rest is yellow. So you'll be safe in this case from the film not yellowing.
Here we go again.....

Good 'ol Zymol marketing hype once again. 80% ??? Come on, if it ever was, the darn wax would be a brick! 100% brick ( which we had in a display case just for this very issue) was a solid as concrete. There is only so much wax you can have with oil binders before it becomes harder due to the natural nature of wax. Take a good furniture wax, the higher amount of wax, the harder it is. Add more oils, that reduces the "volume" of pure wax. BTW, carnauba at 100% has a melting point of 180 degrees F or 86 degrees C. so 80% is not too far from the melting points. Companies that advertise 100% carnauba in their wax aren't being truthful. The truth is, the maximum carnauba content of a quality carnauba wax is about 30%. Carnauba is rock hard, and to apply it easily to your paint's surface you need petroleum distillates and naphtha to make it workable.

As for it not yellowing, yes it will! White or yellow carnauba all yellow when struck by light and it starts to degrade. Known fact. For all film, all that we've used is sealants that have no solvents that also degrade the film. The rest of the finish w/o film can have wax. No big deal.

You're better off with cleaning any film with Plexus or other plastic cleaner, then use a clear sealant such as Rejex, Zaino, Meguiars #21, FK1 etc. ALWAYS check with the mfg who MADE the film for compatability. 3M films tend to yellow more, others have a very soft texture and can scratch, some get tacky when warm/hot in the sun. Still, films are the best investment you can make in protecting paint finishes.

Regards,
Deanski

Last edited by Deanski; 09-27-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:31 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm assuming you're a detailer Dean and as a professional I'd expect a bit more curiosity as apposed to animosity. The problem Zymöl has, in my opinion, is the lack of education for the end user. That's why guys like you can get away with misinformation about the product without investing the money to get to know it. If you notice in my post, I mentioned 80% by volume, not by the weight. Yes, 100% carnauba is harder than concrete, fact. However, you can mix ratios of white/yellow to get the desired look. So I never said that the jar of wax is 80% carnauba, I said 80% of the wax used is white carnauba and the rest is yellow. Now depending on which wax you use, the actual carnauba content will get as high as 71%, if you want to put the $$ in, buy Royale and see for yourself. So, please get the facts first, then make your comments and opinions. For anyone who's used Zymöl or had Zymöl on their car, the finish has a "look" that is unlike any other. Ever since I've been a part of this forum and other forums, I've been educating myself on other products, Zaino, P21S, Menzerna, etc. You have to because education is how you grow. You can't be boneheaded and bash companies that have put their life savings and family's hard work because you THINK their products are hype. You owe it to yourself and your clients, assuming you're a professional detailer. This is why on any of my posts, I never tell anyone Zymöl is the best, or Zaino is the best. It all depends on the end-user and the results they want to achieve. I don’t mean to sound argumentative, but I don’t like misrepresentations to the public. These forums are a place to discuss car related topics and get educated; not a place to say “your products sucks, mine is better”. As for the clear film, whether it’s 3M, Venture, Avery, etc. they all state their film has resistance to yellowing and should be cared for like paint. I don’t have any problem using carnauba wax on the film. Unless you have a white car, your eye won’t notice any slight yellowing, which inherently will happen anyway.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I stopped using Zymol years ago because it simply didn't last on my cars.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:43 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MHC2S
I stopped using Zymol years ago because it simply didn't last on my cars.
I'm very sorry to hear that. Please keep in mind, I don't work for Zymol, just a user of their products since 1997. I am involved with them but am also an independent detailer. I hope some clients can chime in and vouch for me...but Zymol is very user-dependant in the sense that your application technique is the key. It's very simple, but you have to be shown how to doit. I wish Zymol would step up their technical program. I don't sell any product without giving the client how-to instruction over the phone or one-on-one. I've had clients' cars that have not been waxed for almost 6 months and are still beading like I waxed it yesterday. Keep in mind, the car is garaged, they're using Zymol Clear, Zymol's soap, and wiping down the finish with Field Glaze, Zymol's liquid carnauba. Also, depending on which wax you used, you would get lesser results than I mentioned above. Most cars I detail, Destiny glaze is used; @$500 /jar, it better perform like I mentioned, and it does. But even Titanium, $70 /jar, will easily protect for 4 months. By the way, little know fact, each 8 oz jar will do at least 50 applications. Thats anywhere from 18-25 years of wax. I'll be more than happy elaborate if you guys want; don't want to bore anyone or put in a plug for myself.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

3M imperial hand glaze to polish

Zymol to wax

Has worked for me for 20+ years.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I'm assuming you're a detailer Dean and as a professional I'd expect a bit more curiosity as apposed to animosity. The problem Zymöl has, in my opinion, is the lack of education for the end user. That's why guys like you can get away with misinformation about the product without investing the money to get to know it. If you notice in my post, I mentioned 80% by volume, not by the weight. Yes, 100% carnauba is harder than concrete, fact. However, you can mix ratios of white/yellow to get the desired look. So I never said that the jar of wax is 80% carnauba, I said 80% of the wax used is white carnauba and the rest is yellow. Now depending on which wax you use, the actual carnauba content will get as high as 71%, if you want to put the $$ in, buy Royale and see for yourself. So, please get the facts first, then make your comments and opinions. For anyone who's used Zymöl or had Zymöl on their car, the finish has a "look" that is unlike any other. Ever since I've been a part of this forum and other forums, I've been educating myself on other products, Zaino, P21S, Menzerna, etc. You have to because education is how you grow. You can't be boneheaded and bash companies that have put their life savings and family's hard work because you THINK their products are hype. You owe it to yourself and your clients, assuming you're a professional detailer. This is why on any of my posts, I never tell anyone Zymöl is the best, or Zaino is the best. It all depends on the end-user and the results they want to achieve. I don’t mean to sound argumentative, but I don’t like misrepresentations to the public. These forums are a place to discuss car related topics and get educated; not a place to say “your products sucks, mine is better”. As for the clear film, whether it’s 3M, Venture, Avery, etc. they all state their film has resistance to yellowing and should be cared for like paint. I don’t have any problem using carnauba wax on the film. Unless you have a white car, your eye won’t notice any slight yellowing, which inherently will happen anyway.
That said, I know of Zymol very darn well. You see, the owner/developer of the product used to live in Stamford. He used to mix this stuff at home as a start.

No problem with facts here.

I have no problem with Zymol, and have entire line. It's just some of the marketing hype that always goes unchallenged. Gee, now they claim Porsche paint is "Rock-Hard". Interesting. If it was, you're front end would be chipped like mad. We're not talking Ceramiclear now, just std paint.

No matter what a customer wants, given the finish and or results, I can use any product they request.

What I've tried to do for most people is to inform that for a whole less $$ there are waxes that are just as close and good. Most people cannot even tell anyway. It's just a waste of money for most. However, to the experienced, yes you can tell and know.

Anyway, if you like Zymol, great. This is thread is almost getting like the good old Zaino war of words. I really don't care.

When you've been in the trades as long as I have and belong to many professional associations, you'll see what I mean in time.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-27-2006, 07:52 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dean, you are a gentleman. It seems you might actually be different than the detailers that picked up guru report and now think they know everything about car wax from a couple of guys that applied wax on cars and are giving their opinions. It's refreshing to compare notes with you. As most my clients know, I strive to cut out the BS and deliver a product I can stand behind; at the end of the day, our words is what makes or breaks us. I will admit that every car care company tries to market better than the other. Just read the history of Swissol, Zymol, P21S, 1Z, somehow it's linked to Germany, some old formula found, blah,blah,blah. You and I can see the difference between the result we get from different products. It's just that the dyi detailer is hit with so much crap from wax companies, it's sometimes sad to see how easily they give their $$ away. As I said, I like Zymol b/c of the look I get. I haven’t found anything better that's natural; if I do, I owe it to myself and my clients to switch. I enjoy reading what you and Anthony always write and am proud to call myself a detailer knowing guys like you are in my industry.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Harly Wax. Works nice. Easy to apply.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:34 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Actually, I perform a "quick detail" every time I gas up. I use the textured side of the window cleaner tool that the better stations have. Just dip it in the nice, soapy water at the pump, move it back and forth across the surface and dry with those nice, soft blue paper towels. Gives the car a nice "sheen".

I kid, I kid. Can't believe I actually saw a guy do this this weekend when I filled up. Swirls anyone?

Seems like a good time to thank guys, like Deanski, Mo, Anthony et al who take the time from their businesses to post useful detailing tips and product info.

Believe me, it's greatly appreciated by me and many others here

Thank you Deanski, Anthony and Moe and all the other great pro detailers that offer us DIYers a helping hand
Old 09-27-2006, 08:50 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think because of forums like this one and the support of it's members, detailers in our caliber can finally get the recognition we deserve. Believe me, it's so much more profitable/easier to become a company detailer and push products for the BIG car care companies. There's a reason why we're still small companies; hard work and dedication to quality. Eventually the consumers will value this and we won't be one-man operations. I'm trying to carve my path in Southern California I think I'm making a difference. We'll know in a decade or so....
Old 09-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Try Lemon Pledge. Spray on ... wipe off.

BAGGER

Quick Reply: Detailing ???