Sponsored by:

Sport Exhaust Package

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:37 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Mike/AWE, I'd like to let you know why I went with Fabspeed as well. My desecion was swayed by the many others that recomended Fabspeed, from tunning shops I called to a few local dealers than have installed Fabspeed and knew of Fabspeed. Fabspeed has been around the exhuast game for a long long time and many know about them. Since I can not see and hear a AWE muffler I had to go with professional opinions. None of the local shops new of AWE. Now that not to say you guys don't make an awesome muffler but I have not heard one bad thing about Fabspeed. I must say that I heard a few people say on internet sites the AWE mufflers sound farty and weird at idle and low rpm's. Since I could not hear a AWE for myself I went with Fabspeed. The other mufflers I considered were the Tubi Style mufflers and they sound awesome but they are more than $1000 more than AWE or Fabspeed so I balked at them. I hope this feedback helps you out with some marketing.
+1
when i called around to various tuners, most recommended the fabspeed. that was really the only source i had to go by (besides the talk on these forums). im sure AWE exhausts are just as good if not better, but i had to go by personal experiences. maybe its fabspeeds marketing ormaybe they have flooded the market with their products.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentleman-

Thanks for the replies.

We are still expanding our dealer network, and we know the weaknesses of our competition. It's going to take some time to spread the word, but we are confident we will get the job done.

You have given us a goal!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:27 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Gentleman-

Thanks for the replies.

We are still expanding our dealer network, and we know the weaknesses of our competition. It's going to take some time to spread the word, but we are confident we will get the job done.

You have given us a goal!
Listening to the available on site sound clips may help you here. Fabspeed seems deeper and smoother, Awe raspy, spitty and flatulent. Perhaps this is the issue here. It would be for me.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Listening to the available on site sound clips may help you here. Fabspeed seems deeper and smoother, Awe raspy, spitty and flatulent. Perhaps this is the issue here. It would be for me.
gpjli2-

Can you point me to some independent sound clips? I heard one other person use that word "flatulent" to describe our system. Honestly, I'm just not hearing it.

I've listened to our video as well as all of our competitors. One competitor in particular makes it almost impossible even hear the car at idle and idle rev-up. It was done on a busy road with cars driving by. To me that is not a good comparison.

Can you help me out here?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:52 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
gpjli2-

Can you point me to some independent sound clips? I heard one other person use that word "flatulent" to describe our system. Honestly, I'm just not hearing it.

I've listened to our video as well as all of our competitors. One competitor in particular makes it almost impossible even hear the car at idle and idle rev-up. It was done on a busy road with cars driving by. To me that is not a good comparison.

Can you help me out here?

Thanks.
I just went to their (fabspeed) website and yours after reading your question. Most peeps will have to depend on this, not having access to the systems in the real world. If you have listened to both clips and don't hear it then maybe it is semantics or a matter of taste. F seems deeper, more sonorous. A seems higher pitched, like the M "rasp". Remember those VW beach buggies of the past. I mean no disrespect here and am trying to describe what I hear. Language sucks sometimes. Wish I could be more help.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:35 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 06 C2S had Evolution Motorsports Stage 3+

Which is Headers, Exhaust, Intake and Chip. It sounds great and according to dealer that sold it to me (owner drives 05 C2S) it is quicker then stock. Evolution website (evoms.com) says it has 385HP, for $5500. This is alot less then the X51 with about the same numbers (according to manufacturers).
Old 08-23-2006, 01:06 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Mike/AWE, I think it is awesome for you to come on hear and ask us why we bought a competitors mufflers and for this thread not to go into the flame away mode.

My questions/suggestions for you are:
1-Anywhere in Florida that stocks your mufflers? All the Porsche dealers I called either stock Tubi or Fabspeed. Getting into some Porsche dealers would be a great way to gain market share.

2-Fabspeed shows the indside of there mufflers as a U shaped straight through design. I liked that Fabspeed showed this. What are your mufflers like inside?

3- Try to get the best possible recording of you mufflers on your site. I feel none of the muffler sites do a great job with the recording process. The microphone that comes on the little camcorder just will not cut it. Pro Audio gear needs to be used.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by mdrums
Mike/AWE, I think it is awesome for you to come on hear and ask us why we bought a competitors mufflers and for this thread not to go into the flame away mode.

My questions/suggestions for you are:
1-Anywhere in Florida that stocks your mufflers? All the Porsche dealers I called either stock Tubi or Fabspeed. Getting into some Porsche dealers would be a great way to gain market share.

2-Fabspeed shows the indside of there mufflers as a U shaped straight through design. I liked that Fabspeed showed this. What are your mufflers like inside?

3- Try to get the best possible recording of you mufflers on your site. I feel none of the muffler sites do a great job with the recording process. The microphone that comes on the little camcorder just will not cut it. Pro Audio gear needs to be used.
Thanks. Just trying to figure out how to sell more. Only way to do that is ask...

Here are some responses to your points.

1. This is something we are working on. I don't have any dealers yet in Florida, but there are other dealers around the country that do stock/sell our systems. These things take time....

2. Ours are the same design. None of our systems use a chamber design like the OEM. The one detail that shocks us is the fact that they do not pack their mufflers with anything. It is just a U going through a muffler can. Where is the sound deadening? We have 2 different packing materials that we use to make sure there is no resonance or drone. Why even spend the time making a muffler if it is not packed?

3. We invested in an Audio-technica MIC for our camcorder that is placed on a wide setting for recording what is in close proximity of the camera. Tele setting would record that and anything else in the area. For instance Tele would be used standing on the sideline of a football game.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Mike/AWE, for proper sound recording of you exhausts you will probably need to get a small mixer and at least a compressor. The pre-amp on your consumer camcorder is probably overloading and a mixer and compressor will help greatly and make your sound track as good as the movies. Make sure your mic can handle high db's too so that it does not distort out. I am in the music industry so if you need an info on gear I can help and lead you in the correct direction.

That is good info and interesting about the packing material in Fab vs AWE. When I used to ride bikes I had some Bassani mufflers of my Harley Road King. 1 screw at the end of the muffler allowed me to pull out the preforated tube and remove the packing or repack the mufflers. I played around with all sorts of packing material and found out different material gave off different exhaust sounds.

Take and nice chatting with ya, Mike
Old 08-24-2006, 03:09 PM
fxhomie
Advanced

A while back European Car mag did a piece on the mfg. process of A.W.E. 997 mufflers.

I was impressed with the detail and craftsmanship that went into each muffler. I believe ceramic wool is used as the packing material; the stuff nevers blows out. As far as sound goes, the traditional Porsche sound has always been a metallic high-pitched one. A really deep sound seems out of place.

With the full system, you get X51 power gains for a fraction of the cost.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:02 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

doesn't the pse option have a sport button?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:18 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not recommend you use sound bytes to make your decision. I have test driven a new 997S with the PSE and I now have a Fabspeed on my 996. With the 997, the PSE switches on around 3000 rpms. up to that point it is quiet like the stock exaust. Above that it is noticeably, but not uncomfortable. The Fabspeed has a low rumble at idle and is noticeable at low rpms. The Fabspeed is a lower/deeper tone than the PSE. At high rpms the PSE is louder than the Fabspeed. The Fabspeed does not resonate whenever cruising, but you can get some at light throttle at low rpms. The bottom line is if you want the ability to turn the exhaust off and make it quiet, go PSE. If you want the best sound, go Fabspeed.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:29 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
I would not recommend you use sound bytes to make your decision. I have test driven a new 997S with the PSE and I now have a Fabspeed on my 996. With the 997, the PSE switches on around 3000 rpms. up to that point it is quiet like the stock exaust. Above that it is noticeably, but not uncomfortable. The Fabspeed has a low rumble at idle and is noticeable at low rpms. The Fabspeed is a lower/deeper tone than the PSE. At high rpms the PSE is louder than the Fabspeed. The Fabspeed does not resonate whenever cruising, but you can get some at light throttle at low rpms. The bottom line is if you want the ability to turn the exhaust off and make it quiet, go PSE. If you want the best sound, go Fabspeed.

diasgree - unplug your pse or insert black/white tube - it will sounds way better - on all the time - thast the only fair comparison...then replug whenever you want to quiet it down
Old 08-27-2006, 11:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I would not go as far as saying that Fabspeed sounds better than PSE. they sound a little different and both sound very good.
I have Fabspeed because my car din not come with PSE and the muffler swap out with Fabspeed is easy and quick and about $1000 less than PSE. Another very nice sound set of mufflers is Tubi but they cost as much as PSE.

Hey Rob when are we getting together? I'd love to see your car and meet you.
Mike
Old 08-28-2006, 12:09 AM
drex
Track Day

i don't know. after hearing robbonds' exhaust, i knew what i had to do.

i eliminated my mufflers with the fabspeed muffler eliminators, and it sounds awesome.

yes, its loud.

yes, its REALLY LOUD.

and i enjoy it.

but, apparently not as much as a friend who has a Carrerra GT here in Tampa. Today, we went for a little ride, and that car is just unbelievably amazing. Just AMAZING. but VERY quiet! almost too quiet!

also found a great shop in Tampa to get any and all porsche servicing done: dave white racing.

met dave yesterday, and boy what an amazing shop he runs. too bad i do my own work, but one never knows..... check out davewhiteracing.com

Last edited by drex; 08-28-2006 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Sport Exhaust Package