Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 - what happens next....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:27 PM
UK997C2S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 911 experience is limited to the new C2S (manual shift) I collected in March and the 3600 miles I have covered in it, plus a PDE day on a variety of test tracks.

Balancing a 911 before, during and after a corner is an art, but I find that using a combination of engine and conventional braking as you enter the corner provides you with some oversteer to play with (and helps with the correct gear for exit) and then accelerating into the corner to achieve a balance without reaching understeer is a joy to behold. Smooth application of braking, steering and acceleration is essential to achieve the best result.

Oh, and one more thing, always keep the fuel tank as full as possible. Not sure about loading the small trunk with ballast but a full tank is fairly heavy.

I'm sure this will raise a number of comments from experts in this field, but I have an area of almost-deserted traffic islands and straights near my home that enable me to test various theories in reasonable safety.

A 911 provides you with the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:45 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

At the risk of being controversial...it sounds to me that this thread is a strong argurment for buying a C4S over a C2S !! More weight in the front = more secure front end.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:44 PM
first 997S
Intermediate

how fast are you going in the corners?
Lots of good points made in this thread.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:25 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Nuts
At the risk of being controversial...it sounds to me that this thread is a strong argurment for buying a C4S over a C2S !! More weight in the front = more secure front end.
GT3 owners feel free to jump in
Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I own a C4s - the thing is rock solid no matter what the conditions. I was simply in awe at the track as it made me look like a pro driver because I could nail every turn and power out like it was nobody's business (WITH PSM on).

The best part is that if you want to autocross and get the back end out, just turn of PSM put it in sports mode and let that back end fly - WOOHOO!!!!

I agree with others here who say you need to get to the track to better understand your car, otherwise you'll end up flying off the road.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:11 AM
UK997C2S
Intermediate

There are strong arguments for buying any/every 997! I chose the C2S after comparing it with the C4S because it seemed to provide more feedback to the driver and was a more rewarding drive. It has never disappointed me.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default At the risk of sounding controversial...

I could also suggest that this is a much stronger argument for PDE than for awd, as you can find out what you're capable of, improve your skills significantly and get a great deal more performance out of the car than some aftermarket hp upgrade.

Once you know that you need to change your corner technique you will realise that you're probably only scratching away at about 20% of what the car is capable of. If you're getting understeer you're probably not even at the 20% level...

If you get beyond that you will realise that on the track (unless it's a wet day) that a C2/S will probably be faster than a C4/S.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Bodhi
Advanced

like others have said, learn to throttle stear. the car is super smooth and responds very progressively.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You need to spend more time with the car. Since you didn't reply with your time in 911s I am assuming this is your first and you just need to take some time sorting things out. The greatest reward is learning how to drive a 911 2-wd auto. Once you figure out when to apply power and how to steer you will wonder what was so difficult. But, take your time. Do the PDEvents or something with SCCA or a DE with the PCA. Rack up some miles before you give up. Ironically, the vast number of new 997 Carrera buyers today seem to be first time buyers of the 911. This is mostly because of excellent advertising by other Porsche owners. But they may have years of time in a 911 and know how to exploit some of those features of rear engine driving. I also think many first time 997 buyers opt for the C4 because they don't WANT to get into a car that may be too much to learn on.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I also think many first time 997 buyers opt for the C4 because they don't WANT to get into a car that may be too much to learn on.
In my case it was more like - I know I'll drive the car hard on some unforgiving roads (see attached) lined with trees, telephone poles touching the white stripe, and steep drop offs. On roads like this if you throttle steer you better be in the center of the lane (which is going to get you killed due to on coming traffic) otherwise you'll put your tail into a tree, pole, or down a cliff.

The good thing about AWD is that I can drive at 9/10's on that road (and I do because it is only 2 minutes from my front door), yet stay in my lane and not get killed. However, I can also go to the track, turn off PSM & put the car in Sport mode and drift the rear end out and throttle steer like its nobody's business. To me the C4s is about having the best of both worlds.

I also just prefer the steering feel - it feels more connected to the road than the lighter feel of the C2's.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2006, 02:13 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

One of the most attractive driving characteristics of my 997S is that I can swing the rear around when I choose. I friggin love it. I drove the C4 and was unable to swing the rear in sharp turns as it shifted torque to the front wheels pulling me out of the corner. I like the C4 but prefer the 2's handling in corners, IMHO.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:06 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Adding throttle at turn in will exagerate understeer, braking or lifting off throttle will transfer weight to the front of the car and add grip to the front - much more than water bottles, TV's monitors, or whatever other crazy weight adding suggestions some people have. It is great fun once you get a good handle on this and really learn your car either at a drivers ed, autocross, or at least an empty parking lot. Lifting or braking before or at the apex of a turn when driving at the limits can have ugly consequences. This was much more of an issue before PSM and all the other technology made driving these things much easier. I had some great learning experiences in a 400+ hp 1978 911 Turbo. I reccommend learning how to really drive rather than adding weight.

The vid below is a completely street legal 96 993TT with the spare tire, tool kit, and whatever else I could remove from the front to reduce weight driving a few laps at a drivers ed event at Watkins Glen.
For those of you who have not YET taken your P car to a track - I endorse it fully, it is a lot of fun, it can teach you the limits of your car. The only drawback I have is that is highly addictive and makes driving on public roads very dull.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...19997305&hl=en
Old 08-15-2006, 03:20 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANKS GUYS! Lots of helpful stuff and wry comment for this newby to digest. I love this car having lusted after one sine the 70s and I'll stay as long as it takes to get to know it. I appreciate the pointers though; it's quite different dynamically to everything I've ever had and, clearly, rewards a cautiously adventurous (if that's not an oxymoron) driver. I'll tread softly and explore slowly over the next few months. Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:10 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
In my case it was more like - I know I'll drive the car hard on some unforgiving roads (see attached) lined with trees, telephone poles touching the white stripe, and steep drop offs. On roads like this if you throttle steer you better be in the center of the lane (which is going to get you killed due to on coming traffic) otherwise you'll put your tail into a tree, pole, or down a cliff.

The good thing about AWD is that I can drive at 9/10's on that road (and I do because it is only 2 minutes from my front door), yet stay in my lane and not get killed. However, I can also go to the track, turn off PSM & put the car in Sport mode and drift the rear end out and throttle steer like its nobody's business. To me the C4s is about having the best of both worlds.

I also just prefer the steering feel - it feels more connected to the road than the lighter feel of the C2's.
that looks like an interstate to me ron!
attchd a few pics of the road i live on.
my driveway entrance first pic on right, sits on the crest of a mtn.

c2s is lighter with the same hp > therefore FASTER

Last edited by icon; 09-18-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:29 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, Jeff. That's beautiful scenary.

I didn't know you lived in the sticks!

Quick Reply: 997 - what happens next....?