Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Solution For Engine Hesitation (Per Several Prior Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:15 PM
krC2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this doesn't make sense...i and a couple of other people heel-toe with no problem..so how does this motronic thing work?

also had this engine hesitation come and go three times indpendent of any heel-toe or left foot braking

anyone can clarify this plz?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Ian C
Advanced

Heel and toeing doesn't seem to be affected - but try driving in say second gear with throttle applied and then simultaneously apply the brakes with your left foot and you will see that engine power is cut.
Those fiendishly clever people at Bosch must be able to differentiate between heel and toeing and normal driving!
But why ?? Why is there a cut-off at all?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:36 PM
krC2S
Racer

ok so if both brakes and throttle are on for more than some time, say a few seconds, it cuts off

but what about engine hesitation with just throttle..it keeps coming and going with seemingly no reason?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by krC2S
ok so if both brakes and throttle are on for more than some time, say a few seconds, it cuts off

but what about engine hesitation with just throttle..it keeps coming and going with seemingly no reason?
Sounds like that is a different issue. Mine was always doing it as I left a stop light or came out of a parking lot. Never happened at high speeds for no obvious reason.

I do hope this did help a few of those with the issue though....
Old 08-09-2006, 04:04 AM
etmorcus
Advanced

I have had the same problem as you all have had. The last occurrence happened on the way to work so I drove it right to the dealer, called the service manager en route and told him to expect a test drive with me. When I got there, he sent his seasoned Porsche tech out with me who asked "is this your first Porsche?" I responded. "yes, why would that matter?" He explained the Cayenne two-footed drivers then I had him drive. Same problem. The dealer is having Porsche ship out a "black box" to analyze the problem. I hope they find the solution, because this is certainly a safety hazard!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by etmorcus
I have had the same problem as you all have had. The last occurrence happened on the way to work so I drove it right to the dealer, called the service manager en route and told him to expect a test drive with me. When I got there, he sent his seasoned Porsche tech out with me who asked "is this your first Porsche?" I responded. "yes, why would that matter?" He explained the Cayenne two-footed drivers then I had him drive. Same problem. The dealer is having Porsche ship out a "black box" to analyze the problem. I hope they find the solution, because this is certainly a safety hazard!
At least another dealer in the country (are you in Vegas) is offering the same explanation.

My car has not hesitated at all since the dealer told me about 2 footed drivers, but from reading this post it seems the cause of my stalling/hesitation is probably different than the cause of others.

The jury is still out with me, but you are absolutely correct.........it is a safety hazard.

Last edited by Dariof; 08-09-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:11 PM

It's dangerous indeed as it can happen without any notice and at any time. The problem is very intermittent which makes it difficult to tell if any repair attempts have been successful.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:45 PM
birdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ian C
The Motronic engine management system will not allow simultaneous use of brakes and throttle so that left-foot braking for example is impossible.
Not sure why the system is set up this way - does anyone know the reason?
This is discussed at PDE and is true. I also experienced it while driving the PDE Tiptronic Boxster on the autocross track, the engine shut down for a second at a corner apex until I got off the brake.

The reason? I believe it is to avoid litigation. Remember the unintended acceleration lawsuit against Audi?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:53 AM
DTMELM
Track Day

Default Hmmm...Not sure...

We have a tip so I'll have to try this.

I've had this happen twice. Both times when it was very hot (>100f) and both times right after I pulled out of a parking lot and was attempting to merge into traffic (speed limit 55). There was no "two footing" it involved. Frankly, I romped it to get moving out into traffic and it started to go and then hesitated.

If these things had carbs, I'd say it was vapor lock. It still might be some form of it (ok...I'm not the brightest when it comes to injection so more knowledgable thoughts are appreciated)...

BTW...I've used trail braking and used my left foot to balance braking with throttle steer and not noticed the computer override. I've also heard that the new turbo has better 0-60 times by doing a power brake takeoff which wouldn't seem possible if the engine management system were to override the throttle inputs. Guess this sorta confuses me...

D.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:31 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Just got back from the dealer. They have had several cars in for the problem. All with the same issues as described above and no 'error messages'. The field rep told them the approved fix is to disconnect the battery for several hours and allow the system to reboot. I thought this was a car we are talking about. So far all of the fixes have worked for the past few months. I told them they should have put in a Mac OS and throw out the Windows OS. Oh well we will see how this works...GR
Old 08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GR997S
Just got back from the dealer. They have had several cars in for the problem. All with the same issues as described above and no 'error messages'. The field rep told them the approved fix is to disconnect the battery for several hours and allow the system to reboot. I thought this was a car we are talking about. So far all of the fixes have worked for the past few months. I told them they should have put in a Mac OS and throw out the Windows OS. Oh well we will see how this works...GR
Who's your dealer. I have a home in Orange County, so if the problem persists with me, I'll take my car down there. My dealer (Gaudin) told me they have never heard of the problem and would have to see it happen first hand for themselves before they did anything. But they did offer me advise about two-footed driving, which prompted me to start this post.

Thanks.....
Old 08-11-2006, 02:23 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

It is Newport Imports in Newport Beach....GR
Old 08-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GR997S
It is Newport Imports in Newport Beach....GR
Thanks..I am in Laguina Niguel, so Newport is very close.

Take Care
Old 08-11-2006, 03:50 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Let me know if you hear anything different....
Old 08-11-2006, 05:56 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
who drives with two feet (unless its a manual)
Nearly every winning Formula 1 driver of the last decade including Michael Schumacher. They all brake with their left feet, as they did when they began their careers in go karts.

MC

Quick Reply: Possible Solution For Engine Hesitation (Per Several Prior Threads)