Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The CHP accident wasn't on the PCH.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:36 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leader
Not to nit-pick, but both of those accidents happened on wide-open straights of Pacific Coast Highway. However, it was lack of driving skills (and common sense) that caused those wrecks just like the morons who can't handle the twists and turns of the canyon runs.
There's been nothing on the local news about today's reported 997 fatality, which is odd. The news media are usually quick to jump all over a death in an expensive sports car.
Yea, the CHP one wasn't on PCH. However the common element was in both instances they were coming over a rise and the front end of the car got light and the driver lost control. This same thing just happened in Utah with the Enzo traveling at 170 MPH for a Highway Patrol fund raiser. Seems to be a common cause for F accidents.

BTW, if this 997 had of been a Ferrari it would definately be getting press right now.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:52 AM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfCity
BTW, if this 997 had of been a Ferrari it would definately be getting press right now.
It still may make the news, but a rare >$1.3 Million dollar car being driven by published driver during a charity event will definitely get more press than a 997 accident. In any case, one can only hope and pray for the injured and survivees (is that a word?) left in the wake of such accidents.

I don't think it should it squelch any passion for driving, even spirited driving. But I know in my case, it reminds me to acknowledge and stay in the bounds of my own skills and engage in appropriate driving insomuch as the situation/laws permit. Accordingly, I'm forcing myself to stick with the Mini for my Nurbergring visits this summer and leave the M5 and Cayenne home until I gain more confidence/skill.

p.s. Richard Losee in the Enzo was acting neither moronic nor irresponsible and he does have a lot of seat time in performance cars. Accidents happen.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Dr 997
Racer

In my experience as a trauma surgeon, I've seen quite a few crashes... Almost all of them involved one of two factors: bad weather or substance use (e.g. Alcohol). Some other less frequent causes: driver fatigue, having a heart attack while driving, and just bad luck... (road conditions, etc.)

Let's all be careful out there. To paraphrase my motorcycle instructor, "there are old riders and bold riders, but there are no old bold riders."

Jimmy
Old 08-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by phantomias33
p.s. Richard Losee in the Enzo was acting neither moronic nor irresponsible and he does have a lot of seat time in performance cars. Accidents happen.
Well just because anyone has a lot of seat time in performance cars doesn't preclude them from making mistakes in judgement. Barring equipment failure, human errors are usually the ones which are so preventable.
Still haven't heard anything and I drove pass this morning again. Nothing there.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Sorry guys, I thought the CHP accident happened on PCH, too. I was wrong.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:28 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phantomias33
With all due respect and from accounts of the course this was driver error. With adrenalin pumping he did not compensate for the rise in the road that made the front end light and steering difficult. Anytime your speeding on a public road there are variables that become difficult to handle if there is not a lot of room for error.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:07 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only collision I could dig up was about 7am on Malibu Canyon Road, 1 mile north of the tunnel. Vehicle roll over. Unknown vehicle or if fatality.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:32 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
...making mistakes in judgement.
Don't disagree at all. Just making the distinction between mistakes and moronic behaviour. By way of example:

Mistake: Iraq had a mature weapons program.
Moronic misjudgment: Let's invade.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MrMetrx
The only collision I could dig up was about 7am on Malibu Canyon Road, 1 mile north of the tunnel. Vehicle roll over. Unknown vehicle or if fatality.
I believe that is the one. CHP stopped by the Village Roaster and told someone it was a fatality. I didn't hear any more than that. Just the type of car and the road had been closed. Didn't hear if there'd been any passengers either.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:49 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfCity
However the common element was in both instances they were coming over a rise and the front end of the car got light and the driver lost control.
i had that happen once.
front end getting light entering a curve is not a good feeling to have.
doesnt take much of a rise either.
luckily it came down quick enough to make the curve.

jeff
Old 08-07-2006, 07:15 PM
first 997S
Intermediate

how fast before the rise happens? over 50/60/70?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:03 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by first 997S
how fast before the rise happens? over 50/60/70?
How high is up? We're referring to some type of bump/hill in the road that makes the car want to take off a bit. There's a lot of factors that play into that but sure you could do it at 50 if it was a big enough bump.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

It's really physics. Going over a rise at speed will pull weight off the front first so you lose steering traction then the rear gets light as you turn and the fronts regain traction. Plus the weight loading is uneven from the suspension compression and rebound.
The reverse can also happen where you hit a depression at speed and then the rebound lights the front wheels then the rear. If you're not careful which way the wheel is pointing esp in the wet then you could be in trouble.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

One of the best tricks I ever learned for that sort of driving was to generally watch the telephone poles for clues,--on which way the road might go, if you haven't been there before. Chances are good that the poles will show you the way earlier than having to react from when you hit the peak of the hill. (In reality,--we shouldn't be outdriving our visibility).

Quick Reply: Killed in the Malibu Canyons