997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 997S has a new playmate...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006 | 05:10 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Interesting thread. My other car is an '01 A6 2.7 turbo. It's chipped and makes a very impressive 300 hp. Must use the the Tiptronic to keep the turbo spun up, but when you do, it has very good acceleration.

Anyway, I love the RS4 and look forward to trading the 5 year old A6. Maybe another A6 with the 330 hp, but I would prefer the RS4.

Audi and Porsche make for a very good stable.
Old 08-07-2006 | 06:33 PM
icruze
Racer

Damn...I thought it was a different kind of playmate.
Old 08-07-2006 | 07:17 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
larrytrk -
I had the same experience. I brought my car in for service and was given a base Cayenne. It was absolutely aweful. Our Lexus RX330 is a much nicer vehicle and $13K less...and I personally am not a big Lexux fan. My wife loves the car. I surely hope that the S or TT are much nicer inside and out than the base car because this lifetime Porsche fan was very unimpressed.
I get the base Cayenne whenever I bring in my Cayenne S or 997S for service. Believe me, there is a big, big difference between the base 6-cylinder (VW-derived engine) Cayenne and the S and Turbo. My wife and I had a Lexus RX and I have been very impressed with the CS all the way around. As far as luxury and comfort, my wife prefers the Cayenne seats to her seats in her Mercedes--no contest. We do not even need to discuss the performance comparison to an RX--there is no comparison.

An RS4 versus a CPO CTT is a more difficult comparison -- perfectly reasonable people could defend either choice. They are both great vehicles--but IMHO, I'd buy the CTT!
Old 08-07-2006 | 11:20 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STATMAN
I get the base Cayenne whenever I bring in my Cayenne S or 997S for service. Believe me, there is a big, big difference between the base 6-cylinder (VW-derived engine) Cayenne and the S and Turbo. My wife and I had a Lexus RX and I have been very impressed with the CS all the way around. As far as luxury and comfort, my wife prefers the Cayenne seats to her seats in her Mercedes--no contest. We do not even need to discuss the performance comparison to an RX--there is no comparison.

An RS4 versus a CPO CTT is a more difficult comparison -- perfectly reasonable people could defend either choice. They are both great vehicles--but IMHO, I'd buy the CTT!
Glad to hear!!!
The performance of the RX is not very good but as for amenities it has a good assortment. The wife digs it, so that in itself keeps her away from my toys. :-D.
Doh...did I just say that.

Thanks for saving my sanity Statman.
Old 08-08-2006 | 12:42 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear!!!
The performance of the RX is not very good but as for amenities it has a good assortment. The wife digs it, so that in itself keeps her away from my toys. :-D.
Doh...did I just say that.

Thanks for saving my sanity Statman.
I am with you all the way...I'm glad my wife likes her R500 so much, aside from her minor complaints about thes seats. Occasionally she does ask, "now, why have a never driven your convertible?" I ususally act as though I did not hear the question...
Old 08-08-2006 | 01:30 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

what kind of gas mileage are you guys gettnig with the new RS4?? I understand the RS4 has FSI while the standard S4 does not... could the gas mileage be better for an RS4 despite it's greater horsepower?
Old 08-08-2006 | 10:31 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

If you need the hauling ability and want performance and handling, then go with the M-B E55 wagon. Debadged and it will scare 911 drivers on most roads. Makes the CTT look like the overweight pig that it is and a poster child for a Lane Bryant catalogue.
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:06 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Le Chef
If you need the hauling ability and want performance and handling, then go with the M-B E55 wagon. Debadged and it will scare 911 drivers on most roads. Makes the CTT look like the overweight pig that it is and a poster child for a Lane Bryant catalogue.
Granted, the E55 wagon is fast (4.6 0-60 according to MB), but so is the CTT (5 second 0-60). The CTT can also tow nearly 8,000 pounds, go off-road with just about the best of any 4-wheel drive vehicle produced, and can get you through any Wisconsin (or Chicago) blizzard--oh, did I mention its a Porsche! Try that with a MB wagon! Not quite fast enough...get the Cayenne Turbo S and you are down to a 4.7 to 4.8 0-60 time.
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:08 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Le Chef
That reminds me of a Car & Driver 996 Turbo sneak peak (IIRC) years ago where they were driving on the Autobahn at 145 mph and pretty proud of themselves when a soccer mom passes them and exits doing 155 in her Mercedes wagon (non-AMG) with two kids in car seats with balloons in there hands. I remembering them questioning their manhood after that experience!
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:10 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

I am with you all the way...I'm glad my wife likes her R500 so much, aside from her minor complaints about thes seats. Occasionally she does ask, "now, why have a never driven your convertible?" I ususally act as though I did not hear the question...
I never realized how big the R500's were until this past weekend when one parked next to my A4 Avant. It made my A4 look really small.

I like them. It's kind of like a sporty alternative to the homely mini-vans.

How about this one:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/06/g...63-amg-4matic/
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:19 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

I never realized how big the R500's were until this past weekend when one parked next to my A4 Avant. It made my A4 look really small.

I like them. It's kind of like a sporty alternative to the homely mini-vans.

How about this one:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/06/g...63-amg-4matic/
Yes, they are longer than a Cadillac Escalade and I think they are just a bit longer than the Mercedes S series. Three rows of REAL seats, with the third row capable of seating 2 grown up humans comfortably. I think it kind of looks like the wagon version of the MB CLS. Now, that R63 is what I would call a "sporty" minivan!
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:30 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Yep, the R500's are huge in the inside. I saw a story on TV where they were testing the A/C unit in Nevada and one of the engineers said that they were pumping enough cold air into the cabin to cool a 2000 sqft house. I find that hard to believe, but I don't doubt they engineered it to cool properly.

I'm actually looking at getting a GL 450 for my wife when we retire the Lexus LX 470 in a year or so.
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:31 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Oh, and that R63 is going to downright embarass some people so bad that they'll have no choice but to drive straight to a dealership and trade in their car for something faster!
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:34 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Granted, the E55 wagon is fast (4.6 0-60 according to MB), but so is the CTT (5 second 0-60). The CTT can also tow nearly 8,000 pounds, go off-road with just about the best of any 4-wheel drive vehicle produced, and can get you through any Wisconsin (or Chicago) blizzard--oh, did I mention its a Porsche! Try that with a MB wagon! Not quite fast enough...get the Cayenne Turbo S and you are down to a 4.7 to 4.8 0-60 time.
It's called the ML 63 and it'll give the Cayenne Turbo S some proper competition. I would expect the CTs to have the handling advantage though.
Old 08-08-2006 | 02:56 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

The CTT can...go off-road with just about the best of any 4-wheel drive vehicle produced, and can get you through any Wisconsin (or Chicago) blizzard--oh, did I mention its a Porsche! Try that with a MB wagon!
Try that in a CTT with the standard tires and you won't get very far.

Quick Reply: My 997S has a new playmate...