997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IDENTITY THEFT!! Could you be next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006 | 03:17 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Thanks for this great info. Didn't realize but those CC offers sometimes result in a hit on your credit report. And, the info is given to them by the credit reporting agencies. Opted-out on those *****'s.
Old 08-06-2006 | 03:38 PM
frayed
Race Car

Good thread. I subscribe to credit monitoring services for me and my wife. My wife's purse was stolen two years ago, and 1 year ago somebody started taking out accounts in her name. I put an end to it and stop on her credit, and the monitoring service showed me w/i 24 hrs of credit inquiries on her account.

I also shred everything, and my mail is delivered into a slot in my door, so I don't have any exposed mail available for public access.

I recommend Sunbelt's antispyware as the best out there right now; the only one which could kill some terrible malware on my machine.
Old 08-06-2006 | 06:59 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Good info
I'm actually going to file an dispute with my credit card company. I came home really drunk last night and I think my $15 cab ride turned into a $60 one... Not just double swiped, quadruple swiped!

Last edited by Vancouver83LTD; 08-06-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2006 | 09:01 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good off topic thread. This is a real problem, and it is amazing how easy it is to get info, very quickly. I occassionally represent financial businesses who get hacked,and it is scary what info is in public domain, plus, what occurred recently with military records. Anyway, here are some more tips that may be helpful, and some are duplicate to what was already stated.

To protect yourself from becoming a victim:
Don't carry a checkbook. Pay by cash or credit card.
Don't carry your Social Security card with you or use your Social Security number as your driver's license number.
Buy a paper shredder. Shred any documents listing your social security number and other financial information such as your bank account numbers and credit card numbers. This is the number one way of preventing identity theft.

If someone is using your identity and cashing your checks or credit cards, you should:
Report the situation immediately to your bank or credit card company. You may not have monetary liability because forgery and/or fraud is involved, but you will want the companies to be aware of the problem, as this is something that could affect your credit. In addition, follow these instructions to fully protect yourself:

a) Contact all three credit bureaus and issue a fraud alert. Check your credit report six months later and look for items you don't recognize.
b) Provide a copy of your driver's license to each agency's fraud unit in order to register an affidavit.
c) Contact the proper authorities in writing, via certified receipt request.
d) Inform your local police department, Social Security Administration and all creditors with whom you have accounts.

Credit bureaus:
Equifax: 800-525-6285
Experian: 888-397-3742
Transunion: 800-680-7289
SSA Fraud Hotline: 800-269-0271

If a thief steals your identity and begins racking up debt:
A) Contact the fraud units of the three credit reporting agencies. Request that your account be flagged and add a victim's statement saying, "MY ID has been used to fraudulently apply for credit. Call me at this number to verify all applications." Find out how long the fraud alert will be posted and how to extend it if you need to. Check your credit report and look for items you don't recognize.

B) Contact your credit card companies and financial institutions to report the fraud. Get new cards, have old accounts closed with a memo stating, "account closed at customer's request." Follow up in writing.

C) Call the police and get the crime on record, then get a copy of the police report. Keep a log of all conversations including date, name, phone number, and the information provided. Keep all the reports.

D) Notify the Federal Trade Commission, which keeps a database of identity thefts. Phone: (888) FTC-HELP; Address: FTC, CRC-40, Washington D.C. 20580.

E) Notify you bank and if necessary, cancel checking and savings accounts and get new account numbers. Request a password that may be used in every transaction. Get a new ATM card, account number and password. Don't use your SS # or birthdate as a password. Don't put SSN on medical, or applications without knowing why. In last two years, I challenged all that ask, and without exception, they put xxx xx xxxx on applications and use my birth date to search their database. Of course to apply for loans, credit checks you need to include the info.

F) Don't pay any bill or part of a bill resulting from identity theft.

G) Call 1-888-5-OPT-OUT!

The telephone number, 1-888-5-OPT-OUT, was set up to establish a single point of contact for consumers to call to request that all three major U.S. credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion) remove consumers' information from the marketing lists and pre-approved credit offer lists sold to third parties. By entering your information, you prevent the credit bureaus from releasing your personal information to credit card companies. As a result, you should receive fewer credit card solicitations in the mail.

Calling the number in the e-mail will not stop your bank, credit union, brokerage company, etc. from selling your information. For that, you must respond individually to the "Privacy Policy" statements you received from each financial institution in the mail. Or, you must call the institution or company yourself. Also, it is ok to enter your SSN when prompted for it. The system needs that to verify your identity and remove you from the lists.
Old 08-08-2006 | 12:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I had my cc copied at a rest a few yrs back, amazing how fast they stole it and continued to use it for days after I cancelled the card.
One of my associates had 80k transferred from his bank account as soon as he left on vacation, mf'ers knew when he was leaving and that he was going to a third world country and would be incommunicato for a few days. Scumbags are everywhere!
Old 08-08-2006 | 10:03 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I don't know if you guys have mosaic mastercard in the US, but they are the BEST!

Everything is sorted out - I didn't even have to cancel the card!

Quick Reply: IDENTITY THEFT!! Could you be next?