Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LA Retaurants - Porsche Safe Valet/Park?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

I didn't turn mine over at a fairly pricy hotel recently in Italy. The valets were quite good about it, understanding how 'we' can be. He simply led me back into the bowels of their special garage and let me park it myself. There was a Ferrari Scaglietti (612) parked outside, and he was also later busy fetching a Bentley Continental GT for a guest. I suspect he's seen, and driven, all the great cars. For restaurants where your stay is much shorter I would say no. For exclusive hotels,--keep your eyes open. Years ago the norm was that you were always permitted to leave your Rolls Royce parked in front of any restaurant,--it was a favorable image for them as well, having your RR parked there. Today, particularly in car-obsessed LA, you better make it an Enzo if you want to leave it in front.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I have never had a problem here in Vegas. When I valet (restaurant, hotel, club), I politely ask them to park it in front and then let them know I "will take care of you when I return."

It is well understood they know they will get an excellent tip, which they do.

I watch where they park it (up front) watch them secure the key, and thank them as I enter the premises. They in turn always watch for me to return, and immediately retrieve my car.

Been doing this for years with never an issue.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Another former LA valet parker here...I will not patronize a place if there isn't somewhere to park my own car, whether it's in a lot or on the street. It's not the "Ferris Bueller" concern; as others mentioned, late model 911s are a dime a dozen in LA...it's that valets are generally rushed, and not concerned with scuffing the door threshold, door dings, front spoiler scrapes, curbing the wheels, etc. And everybody either has had or knows somebody with a valet horror story (last year a friend had to replace the motor in his S4 when a valet cracked the coolant tank after hitting a high curb...all the coolant drained during dinner, car overheated, heads warped).
Old 08-07-2006, 04:24 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just for my education, what would be considered an excellent tip?
Old 08-07-2006, 04:53 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default An excellent tip....

Originally Posted by stom_m3
So just for my education, what would be considered an excellent tip?
Never draw to an inside straight.....
Old 08-07-2006, 05:13 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

I think its smart advice to ask them to keep it up front and tell them you will take care of them when ou return like Dariof mentioned.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm with the Never crowd (or almost never). I'll usually politely (never cocky, which is not my style anyway) explain I'd like to park it myself, or in the worst case, watch them park it up front. I always tip well including upfront if I'm buying their special cooperation.

Apart from damage to cars, I although think in L.A. a lot of them are blatant thieves. They rifled through my wife's Cayenne S recently and stole some things (at a high-end restaurant). One of the local TV stations did a special a few years ago - they planted hidden cameras in cars left with valets and it was almost hysterical (though sad) how these guys would constantly rifle through the car and steal anything in sight.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
A lot of hotels in Las Vegas you almost have to valet park, otherwise you have to park way out in the middle of nowhere. I just hold my breath and hope they don't pull a Farris Bulow. Tipping up front helps.
Farris Bulow?

Been a loooooong time since the 80's for you, hasn't it?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:41 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a classic movie. Hey if I was a (My Name is Earl) valet parker I might be tempted to see what a Ferrari could do, while the owner was inside enjoying caviar, champagne and someone else's wife.

Quick Reply: LA Retaurants - Porsche Safe Valet/Park?