Sponsored by:

loud creaking noise after autocrossing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud creaking noise after autocrossing

I autocrossed the car hard this weekend. Now, I noticed loud creaking noises when I drive up the driveway at an angle at very low speed. It makes this loud crunching noise that sounds like someone is crumbling a sheet of paper. The noise seems be coming under the seats or in the dash board.

I think it is coming from the shocks. I don't hear it driving on flat surfaces. Only when I come on or off the drive way at an angle.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is this common? Any idea what this could be? The car was perfect before I autocrossed.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:50 AM
Bullet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 996 developed this after about 8000 km (never tracked). My 997 C2S has only 5000 km, and despite being tracked already, has not yet developed it. I think it's an eventuality in all Porsches. There were enough posts suggesting it was extremely common, so I never pursued it.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:02 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Found this thread. Evidently there is a service bulletin on this. I will take my car in and will post update.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...creaking+noise
Old 09-03-2006, 06:01 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Here is an update.

First trip to the dealer found that the anti sway bars were loose. They torqued it. Noise went away for two hours, then came back.

Second trip to the dealer: they changed out the four link bars. Noise went away for a day. Now it is back. Very pronounced when I drive over the driveway at an angle at very slow speed. That rattling noise is heard first in the right front, then left front, then right rear then left rear. So I know for sure that the paper crumbling noise is coming from the tire/suspension/spring coil area. But what is it?

Any suggestions? I feel bad calling the dealer again. Should I bring it to another dealer?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:17 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggest you don't feel bad
Old 09-21-2006, 06:05 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Ok, the creaking noise problem is solved. I finally brought the car to another Porsche dealership and they figured it right out. The noise was coming from the sunroof, not the sway bar or link bars. They greased it and it is noise free.

The way to test it is to partially open the sunroof and the noise should go away.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:52 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Sunroof delete is sounding better and better, eh? <g>

Glad you got it fixed!

-don
Old 10-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think mine's just gone away on its own. It only showed up a few weeks ago, but I can't notice it anymore.

Yay.

-B
Old 10-02-2006, 12:09 PM
mdonline
Instructor

it is the sunroof until proven otherwise. If it comes back, just open the sunroof and see if the noise would disappear.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:36 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Second that motion. I had the creaking as well. They greased the sunroof and the sound is gone. I also had the sway bar issue. The noise associated with the sway bar issue is more of a "clunk" coming from the right rear of the car. The noise was accompanied by a looseness in the rear end around constant radius corners, especially when bumpy. It was a pretty scary movement from the rear of the car, almost like it was wagging it's tail back and forth. This problem has been plagueing me for a year and a half. My car now handles like a $90K car should. Dilemna resolved. SB

Quick Reply: loud creaking noise after autocrossing