Sponsored by:

5 Orbitals Evaluated for you...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:42 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor
SS: Thanks for taking time to post reviews. I use a PC but also put air outlets around my garage. The compressor is reasonably quiet, so I may look at the pneumatic unit. Is this the unit you suggested? http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10415

BTW, pretty hot out here this week, too.
That's the one. And it's very hot here in Texas today.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:48 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Very nice job, thanks for taking the time to review them. I just bought the PC and liked it, seemed fool proof. I tried it out on the E55. I used One Grand Omega Glaze on the white sponge the PC came with, which is very very mild to start out (the paint was in good shape). Then I hand waxed it with PS21. This is my only orbital experience so far.

What source for the pads to you recommend? I am thinking about the Cyclo and that little pneumatic unit from Griots - I have air in my garage.

Also, not to steal the thread, but I just bought the CR Spotless, works pretty good, but it will be interesting to see how long the cartridges last me...another review for another day!
I've had the PC for four years and love the device. You can't go wrong with it. Ron has a point, in that I have not had the opportunity to try the Griots machine, but I believe it to be a PC with Griots name on it as they do not manufacture their own equipment (he'll confirm this). I do believe Ron that they've improved the unit. I still believe the pneumatic would beat it for manueverability (lite as hell), cool running, faster and effortless orbital vibration. IMHO--

As for the pads, NYCA listed a good site for the German pads that are really tough, or Griots has some too.

CR Spotless, keep us posted on this, especially the longevity of the filter.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:38 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the informative thread and review!

I'm a rotary polisher guy myself - don't currently own an orbital. My favorite is the Makita 9227C professional model:

Old 07-24-2006, 02:33 PM
997 C2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben,

What pad do you use with your Makita?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:46 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
Thanks for the informative thread and review!

I'm a rotary polisher guy myself - don't currently own an orbital. My favorite is the Makita 9227C professional model:

Due to your advice and some research, I too bought one, your's. I use it for heavier work to save me time. It is incredibly efficient, but in the wrong hands, it can cause serious damage. Since my cars are mostly new with new paint, I use the orbitals, but certainly understand your preference since I've enjoyed using the Makita as well. Thanks for the kind comments...
Old 07-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Really nicely done comparo. Thanks.

I think it would be very important for folks who use these or are thinking of using them to understand the significant difference between ORBITAL and RANDOM ORBITAL. Orbitals are typically high speed units used post-paint, to clean up nibs/fisheyes/flaws in paint. RO can be more lightly used for wax/polish application, and can be revved up to address problem spots too.

Amateurs can ruin a paint job with a high speed orbital, though an experienced pro can do wonders with either unit and the right materials. RO tends to give you great results with minimal swirls, assuming paint in decent condition.

PC/Griots RO units are really sweet. I have the PC and the Griots backer plates/pads for it, though I don't need it on the Porsche....other vehicles in the fleet do need it from time to time.

Thanks again, nice job.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-24-2006, 09:43 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 923 Likes on 518 Posts

very true - the pure orbitals require more skill/care/attention - whatever you want to call it - then the random orbital units.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:59 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Amateurs can ruin a paint job with a high speed orbital, though an experienced pro can do wonders with either unit and the right materials. RO tends to give you great results with minimal swirls, assuming paint in decent condition.
Hey Eric, sounds like you're confusing an orbital with a rotary polisher.

An orbital, by definition, has the axis of the rotating pad revolving around the axis of the motor drive, in an "orbital" path. The rotary polisher, on the other hand, has the rotating pad driven by the shaft of the motor, pretty much like a grinder (see pic above of the Makita). Hence the damage that can result if used incorrectly by amateurs. But when used by pros, the results are unmatched.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:41 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 997 C2
Ben,

What pad do you use with your Makita?
I currently use two of the Meguiar's SoftBuff foam pads, the W1000 8 for buffing and the W9000 8 for finishing. For the removal of fine sandpaper scratches from colorsanding I used the W7000 8 Cutting pad, which I gave to a friend and haven't replaced yet.

There might be better pads out there, but these work just fine for me.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:29 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm impressed by how many of you use them. I've shied away for fear of damage to the finish. Of course that means hand work.

Do you feel that you get a better shine than hand application/buffing, or is it just easier?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:52 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ben,

You ought to try these pads the next time you need to order some:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1004&SKU=10626
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1004&SKU=10628

They are as durable as can be and the backing lasts for a very long time, even if you let them soak in your bucket.

allegretto - if you aren't using at least an orbital, then you are seroiusly missing out! Pick yourself up a Griots or Porter Cable orbital and you'll have an idiot proof way of making your paint look phenomenal! Rotaries can yeild better results and are faster to work with than the orbitals, but you can get in trouble with them if you aren't paying attention. With the Griots orbital you can lean into it with your full body weight sit in the same spot for 5 minutes with a orange pad (using Machine Polish 3) and do nothing more than end up with a super shiny spot! I know, I've seen someone do that in real life - try that with a rotary (DON'T).
Old 07-26-2006, 10:19 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Super thread! I have been waiting for this kind of info for ages...

Air power - here I come... (Any new tool to connect to the compressor if fine by me)!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by ronmart
Hey Ben,

You ought to try these pads the next time you need to order some:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1004&SKU=10626
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1004&SKU=10628

They are as durable as can be and the backing lasts for a very long time, even if you let them soak in your bucket.
Thanks Ron, but those are too small for me. Those are 6 inch pads. I need the 8 inch ones for my Makita. Besides I can just pick the Meguiar's up at my local detail shop at a discount. (Btw, Meguiar's is headquartered here and you can pick up their products just about anywhere.)
Old 07-26-2006, 01:51 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Thanks Ron, but those are too small for me. Those are 6 inch pads. I need the 8 inch ones for my Makita. Besides I can just pick the Meguiar's up at my local detail shop at a discount. (Btw, Meguiar's is headquartered here and you can pick up their products just about anywhere.)
Ah, I missed that you needed 8" you stud!

Old 07-26-2006, 03:51 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

My appologies if this has been addressed before. For a newbbie that has never used a power polisher (I wax and Zaino my car by hand), and is scared stiff of marring the surface with a power tool, what recommendations you experienced detailer have for a SAFE (beginers) power polisher? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 5 Orbitals Evaluated for you...