Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Common are they - 986, 996, 987, 997...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006 | 02:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 996CAB
Well, the best decision to come out of Porsche in the last 30 years is they stake in VW not the continual range expansion and seemingly endless 'range' updates which ripples down to meaning too many Porsches on the road.

The next best thing which I hope Porsche does in the very near future is to buy VW outright, then re-badge models like Cayenne, 987 and Cayman as 'VW' high-end brands. VW currently does not offer any thing similar.

The ONLY model that should remain as a Porsche brand should be the 911 - and that is C2, C4 and TT...all in Cab & Coupes and updated on a 6 year cycle not every 2 years!

The RS badge should be kept exclusively for low weight high BHP sports cars for road and track. So ditch GT3 and GT2 and have a simple RS focused car that parrs electronics and showcases Porsche engineering & sports car build. This car should be pited exclusively at Corvette, Lambo Gellardo and baby Ferrari (430 and future entry Fez models) customers and sold in low volumes...exactly 911 with an 8 year product cycle.

There should always be a top model like a 959 or CGT that should be low volume to match the BHP output so in the case of the CGT that will mean just over 600 cars on a cycle of every 10 years - these cars should always be sold at a premium.

The above changes will please alot, annoy just a few and ensure Porsche continues to grow - VW being its lesser brand to try out cars built and updated on a 2 to 4 year cycle.

The last significant piece of this jigsaw is a return to F1 BUT as an engine supplier for now - more profitable then gradually move in to F1 as a full works team over a 10-year period...That is what BMW did.

Do the above Porsche and you will remain independent and profitable for the next 50 years...amen!

gee, you so smart, how come you aren't running the UK or even that tiny german factory which makes poosh? they ARE the most profitable car company in the world today. they do run a business. the bottom line IS THE ONLY metric to measure their success. sure as car enthusiasts, we dont like some of their decisions. but your smart decsions as listed above will run porsche into the ground faster than i can blink my eyes..
Old 07-21-2006 | 02:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh dear, seems I have rooted out the singing Marys yet again...

I will re-state my original point again for the benefit of the overwhelmed...Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck...it is a fact...seen them here, seen them there and seen them everywhere...they are common!

NOTE: no mention of inferior to other brands...just that they are COMMON...!

Might prove hard to accept BUT Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck...

I understand some owners do not wish to have their PORSCHE car compared to...BMW or Volvo or Nissan...but the fact remains that Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck...and that can only mean one thing in the near future...over supply will drive down 2nd hand / resale value...I am just stating a point that Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck...

The abuses being handed out are understandable, but then again IF a statement as noted above really gets you dishing out abuses...then things are truely aweful in your life. Come on...are things that bad...?

Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck!

this "discussion" is rather interesting. common doesn't lead to over supply, and really has no bearing on dep'n. look at lexus rx330. i see about 50 of those every day in SF. they depreciate about 20% over 5-6 years. honda accord has literally no dep'n depite "oversupply"... think about that.

quite franky, who cares about resale. if you want to worry about resale, buy honda and toyotas. i lose 30-40k on each of the 3 gt3 i have in the last two years. so what. my wife's honda bought for 25k sold for 19k wiht over 100k miles. maybe you should be driving those fine imports.
Old 07-21-2006 | 10:01 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

996CAB is nothing more than a troll seemingly trying to justify his purchase of a 993 (A fantastic car in its own right). He occasionally pops up in the 996 and 997 forums to bash the quality or production numbers of Porsche and disappears.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=528

A 997 is nice BUT not special and the fault of the later Porsches as mentioned on these forums proves just that. They are mass produced toys for today which cannot even make it past their 1st month of ownership.

If you want a sports car to show off in time before the dreaded multitude of warning light(s) comes on then the 996/997 are perfect - atleast the SATNAV will aid in ensuring you limp back home safely all be it with the opposition chuckling not far behind.

If you want a good value sports car with no bells, whistles etc then any of the 993 family range will not be far off - they all do exactly what they were designed for - to be DRIVEN hard every day.
Old 07-21-2006 | 10:21 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

I don't think your point about 2nd hand values declining is valid. Honda Accords and Toyota Camry's are probably the most common car out there and they have probably the highest resale values of anything.
Old 07-21-2006 | 10:28 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
And VW already sells a rebadged Cayenne called the Touareg.
You mean Porsche sells a rebadged VW Touareg and calls it the Cayenne
Old 07-21-2006 | 10:59 AM
pl
Drifting

women care about if others carry the same hand bag. (don't ask how i know!).
man, on the other hand, happy to see others enjoy the same fun!
Old 07-21-2006 | 11:00 AM
pl
Drifting

Well, the best decision to come out of Porsche in the last 30 years is they stake in VW not the continual range expansion and seemingly endless 'range' updates which ripples down to meaning too many Porsches on the road.

The next best thing which I hope Porsche does in the very near future is to buy VW outright, then re-badge models like Cayenne, 987 and Cayman as 'VW' high-end brands. VW currently does not offer any thing similar.

The ONLY model that should remain as a Porsche brand should be the 911 - and that is C2, C4 and TT...all in Cab & Coupes and updated on a 6 year cycle not every 2 years!

The RS badge should be kept exclusively for low weight high BHP sports cars for road and track. So ditch GT3 and GT2 and have a simple RS focused car that parrs electronics and showcases Porsche engineering & sports car build. This car should be pited exclusively at Corvette, Lambo Gellardo and baby Ferrari (430 and future entry Fez models) customers and sold in low volumes...exactly 911 with an 8 year product cycle.

There should always be a top model like a 959 or CGT that should be low volume to match the BHP output so in the case of the CGT that will mean just over 600 cars on a cycle of every 10 years - these cars should always be sold at a premium.

The above changes will please alot, annoy just a few and ensure Porsche continues to grow - VW being its lesser brand to try out cars built and updated on a 2 to 4 year cycle.

The last significant piece of this jigsaw is a return to F1 BUT as an engine supplier for now - more profitable then gradually move in to F1 as a full works team over a 10-year period...That is what BMW did.

Do the above Porsche and you will remain independent and profitable for the next 50 years...amen!

thanks for the laugh!
but, where is audi???
50 years? do we have oil left by then???
Old 07-21-2006 | 11:17 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomFromCT
I agree it depends where you live. I'm in Fairfield county, Connecticut and most days I see one or two other P-cars and on some days none at all.

I test drove a 996 in Greenwich and passed 5 other 993/996's during my 10 mintue test drive
Old 07-21-2006 | 11:27 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Well I have owned my car for about 2 months and put 1900 miles on her and haven't passed another 997 yet. While driving my P-car, I have seen 1-993, 2-996, and many boxters.
Old 07-21-2006 | 11:59 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

You guy's are being overly sensitive. Porsche's are great cars but the reality is their "specialness" is waning. Soon Porsche is going to be producing over 100,000 cars per year and most look alike to the general public. With each passing year the inventory of Porsche's will continue to build and crowd the roadways.

I really don't understand how someone is paying well over $100,000 for his/her car can tolerate a car half the price looking like his/hers (btw about 50% of the parts of the 911 and Boxster are shared). The other day I was in a parking lot and a Boxster and new 997 were parked next to one another and the owners (apparently friends) were talking. A stranger walked up to the two of them and said " Oh a Porsche convertible and Porsche coupe. What year are they and which one is faster?"

Finally regarding Porsche depreciation one need not look no further than the greatest Porsche of them all the CGT. MSRP $448,000 and a used one about one year old is going for about $350,000. OUCH!

Mooty, in my opinion the Cayman has the best looking footprint on the road of all the Porsche's and it is a shame they refuse to provide it with adequate hp all in an effort to save the 911.
Old 07-21-2006 | 12:07 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Quite possibly the most ignorant and absurd post I have read on ANY forum. Granted, I was not (and am still not) fond of Porsche delving into the SUV market, but to spew the absurd BS like this is laughable.

And your vehicle manufacturing/marketing experience is with whom?

As a matter of fact my new Cayman S is more true Porsche like than the 996 you own. See Porsche 356 and you'll know what I mean. FWIW, I am not here to knock any P car as I love them all.

Now, move along troll
Old 07-21-2006 | 12:21 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nick
You guy's are being overly sensitive. Porsche's are great cars but the reality is their "specialness" is waning. Soon Porsche is going to be producing over 100,000 cars per year and most look alike to the general public. With each passing year the inventory of Porsche's will continue to build and crowd the roadways.

I really don't understand how someone is paying well over $100,000 for his/her car can tolerate a car half the price looking like his/hers (btw about 50% of the parts of the 911 and Boxster are shared). The other day I was in a parking lot and a Boxster and new 997 were parked next to one another and the owners (apparently friends) were talking. A stranger walked up to the two of them and said " Oh a Porsche convertible and Porsche coupe. What year are they and which one is faster?"

Finally regarding Porsche depreciation one need not look no further than the greatest Porsche of them all the CGT. MSRP $448,000 and a used one about one year old is going for about $350,000. OUCH!

Mooty, in my opinion the Cayman has the best looking footprint on the road of all the Porsche's and it is a shame they refuse to provide it with adequate hp all in an effort to save the 911.
What does Carrera GT depreciation have to do with the 911?
Old 07-21-2006 | 01:43 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

their "specialness" is waning
I love my 997; it's new, fast, beautiful, and chicks dig it.

Soon Porsche is going to be producing over 100,000 cars per year

most look alike to the general public.

the inventory of Porsche's will continue to build

I really don't understand how someone is paying well over $100,000 for his/her car

can tolerate a car half the price looking like his/hers

The other day I was in a parking lot

A stranger walked up

OUCH!
I probably just don't spend enough time worrying about everything.
Old 07-21-2006 | 03:11 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amerlemans
As a matter of fact my new Cayman S is more true Porsche like than the 996 you own. See Porsche 356 and you'll know what I mean. FWIW, I am not here to knock any P car as I love them all.
Old 07-21-2006 | 03:14 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Aside from the number of Porsches in London, London also seems to have an overwhelming amount of *******. Never heard of another city hosting a "****-a-thon".

London City ****-a-Thon

Quick Reply: How Common are they - 986, 996, 987, 997...?