Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Common are they - 986, 996, 987, 997...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006 | 08:27 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Don't bite on this one mooty. The original poster lives in London...they're very common. With BMW production numbers over 1 million cars last year and Porsche not topping even a tenth of that, he's not stating facts but perceptions. BUT...again, in London they are a dime a dozen. And to a non-Porsche fanatic, you have to admit that the models all look very similar.

The forum wouldn't be as active if there wasn't some of these posts. Now that we've hammered out Corvette vs. Porsche thread yet again, it's posts like these that at least get awaken some individuals.
Old 07-20-2006 | 08:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Nick, I don't buy Porsches for status, therefore I don't care that you, this other clown, or a car magazine finds their popularity as being a negative aspect. Porsches are more popular than they once were, and as mooty said, that's fine with me. It's the correlation with perceived poor resale that prompted my response.

Taken as a percentage, Porsche depreciation is much better than average. Look at Maserati for an $80k-100k sports car with horrendous depreciation.
Old 07-20-2006 | 08:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

People have chosen to drive their cars more today than they did before so you will see them out more. But remember, Porsche production numbers are no where near that of MB and BMW. In my town you see so many exotic cars that there is significant diversity in that area that you don't really keep running into Porsches that much.

I was really surprised to see how few of them there are in Germany,--once you get outside a 10 km circle of Zuffenhausen!

What is amazing is world affluence. Years ago the figure was 50% coming to America and 50% of those coming to California. I read recently that the USA market is now 38%. Is the USA slipping? In raw numbers,--not at all. What's happening is more and more eastern Europeans, Russians, Middle easterners, and Chinese are getting them!

Welcome to everyone! I love seeing them. They'll never be 'common'
Old 07-20-2006 | 08:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by phantomias33
Don't bite on this one mooty. The original poster lives in London...they're very common. With BMW production numbers over 1 million cars last year and Porsche not topping even a tenth of that, he's not stating facts but perceptions. BUT...again, in London they are a dime a dozen. And to a non-Porsche fanatic, you have to admit that the models all look very similar.

The forum wouldn't be as active if there wasn't some of these posts. Now that we've hammered out Corvette vs. Porsche thread yet again, it's posts like these that at least get awaken some individuals.
thanx for the warning, i made the wrong assumption that the orig poster actually knows anything about porsche. btw, if think moder p car are similar looking, what about 78 SC to 89 carerra? a REAL porschephile can distinguish those year by year, yes, they ARE different, however minute.

here in SF, CA, porsche in some towns (los gatos, saratoga, to name a few) is indeed much more common than honda's. in fact, an accord would be considered exotic as no one would recognize it. i kid you not! what i dont get is enthusiasts buy cars to drive, not to be exclusive. there's much more efficient ways to flaunt one's wealth, like donating a few millions the the unfortunately victims of natural disasters. i drive p cars b/c i like how they drive not b/c they are rare. for rarity i would opt for yugo turbos, citroens.

but you are right, these threads do wake ppl up, i needed the exercise.
Old 07-20-2006 | 08:41 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Please don't feed the trolls.
Old 07-20-2006 | 09:56 PM
996CAB
Instructor

Oh dear, seems I have rooted out the singing Marys yet again...

I will re-state my original point again for the benefit of the overwhelmed...Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck...it is a fact...seen them here, seen them there and seen them everywhere...they are common!

NOTE: no mention of inferior to other brands...just that they are COMMON...!

Might prove hard to accept BUT Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck...

I understand some owners do not wish to have their PORSCHE car compared to...BMW or Volvo or Nissan...but the fact remains that Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck...and that can only mean one thing in the near future...over supply will drive down 2nd hand / resale value...I am just stating a point that Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck...

The abuses being handed out are understandable, but then again IF a statement as noted above really gets you dishing out abuses...then things are truely aweful in your life. Come on...are things that bad...?

Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck!

Last edited by 996CAB; 07-20-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2006 | 10:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

This discussiion reminds me of a Yogi Bera quote. He was asked about a popular restaurant and replied: "Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded".

Old 07-20-2006 | 10:18 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996CAB
Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck!
Thanks for posting, loved the discussion- very uplifting. Not offended, not ruffled, just bored. Next?
Old 07-20-2006 | 10:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

There was a discussion? I thought this was the random quote thread. Guess I posted to the wrong place!
Old 07-20-2006 | 10:52 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996CAB
...the fact remains that Porsches (986, 987, 996, 997) are common as muck...and that can only mean one thing in the near future...over supply will drive down 2nd hand / resale value...
That's flawed reasoning. Just as the 986, 996, 987, and 997 appeal to a wider new car audience now that they can be easily and relatively inexpensively used daily (and are therefore common...oh, the horror!), they will also appeal to a wider used car audience.
Old 07-20-2006 | 10:58 PM
996CAB
Instructor

Well, the best decision to come out of Porsche in the last 30 years is they stake in VW not the continual range expansion and seemingly endless 'range' updates which ripples down to meaning too many Porsches on the road.

The next best thing which I hope Porsche does in the very near future is to buy VW outright, then re-badge models like Cayenne, 987 and Cayman as 'VW' high-end brands. VW currently does not offer any thing similar.

The ONLY model that should remain as a Porsche brand should be the 911 - and that is C2, C4 and TT...all in Cab & Coupes and updated on a 6 year cycle not every 2 years!

The RS badge should be kept exclusively for low weight high BHP sports cars for road and track. So ditch GT3 and GT2 and have a simple RS focused car that parrs electronics and showcases Porsche engineering & sports car build. This car should be pited exclusively at Corvette, Lambo Gellardo and baby Ferrari (430 and future entry Fez models) customers and sold in low volumes...exactly 911 with an 8 year product cycle.

There should always be a top model like a 959 or CGT that should be low volume to match the BHP output so in the case of the CGT that will mean just over 600 cars on a cycle of every 10 years - these cars should always be sold at a premium.

The above changes will please alot, annoy just a few and ensure Porsche continues to grow - VW being its lesser brand to try out cars built and updated on a 2 to 4 year cycle.

The last significant piece of this jigsaw is a return to F1 BUT as an engine supplier for now - more profitable then gradually move in to F1 as a full works team over a 10-year period...That is what BMW did.

Do the above Porsche and you will remain independent and profitable for the next 50 years...amen!
Old 07-20-2006 | 11:58 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Haven't seen one like mine yet - but I know there are 49 other ones like it...
Old 07-21-2006 | 12:31 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

996CAB, I'm glad you're not running Porsche. Not that I agree 100% with all of the decisions and products coming out of there these days, but the Boxster and Cayman are pure Porsche and certainly don't belong in the VW range. And VW already sells a rebadged Cayenne called the Touareg.

Six, eight, and ten year product cycles? Primarily 911s in the model lineup? Were you around in the '70s and '80s? Because that's how it was back then at Porsche, and it was a grim time for the manufacturer.

And putting F1 and profitable in the same sentence gave me a giggle.
Old 07-21-2006 | 12:37 AM
S4to911
Instructor

Who cares?

When I'm driving my 997, I feel like I'm the only one around...
Old 07-21-2006 | 01:18 AM
Deven
Pro

Forgive my lack of dept in vocabulary, but what is a 'muck' (?Multi User Chat Kingdom???) and how common are they?

Quick Reply: How Common are they - 986, 996, 987, 997...?