Sponsored by:

Bridgestone RE050A Tires-Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Dr. Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
dr.car, who is Pete and what was his recomendation?
I was referring to M3Pete's post above mine. I should've used his whole name.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

...and what's the story with PCA's treadwear restrictions? Are these in their autoX rules?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:42 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

To answer Edgy's question (warning, others may find this post induces narcolepsy):

My local PCA Zone classifies cars for competition using a points system. Tires with a treadwear rating over 200 get no points. Over 100 and up to 200 get a point. I run my car in street stock, which allows only zero to 2 points, and puts numerous modifications off limits. The lowest treadwear rating allowed for street stock is 140 (period), so in theory the Bridgestone is O.K. However, the rules also have provisions about tire width. The 997S falls into the fastest class, but the rules (oddly) provide that the maximum width tire allowed in that class without a points assessment is 285. Tires from 290 to 315 get two points, which is the max points allowed in street stock. Thus, a street stock 997S, Turbo or GT3 must run a 220 or higher treadwear tire if it's going to run a stock-width 295 or 305 tire. This is true even for the GT3 which comes with MPSC's; their OEM tires bump them up to a higher class both because the treadwear rating and width yield 4 points, and also because no tire below treadwear of 140 is allowed at all in street stock.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks for the detailed answer! I suppose with all this capability we have to get handicapped somehow.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Finally got the Bridgestones

Well, after looking everywhere for these RE050A (N0) spec tires, I finally went to the dealer and sure enough, they can get them.

Stopped by after getting the call later in a week that they arrived and they were from Tire Rack! Same size that show "backorder".

Anyway, I went with bigger/wider tires in rear (305 vs 295 ) for a bit more contact and fill out the wheel wells.

Nice tires from the short time I've been on them. Lowered the pressure to 33front 39 rear as I'm mostly the only driver. Dealer also did the 4 wheel alignment.

Those looking may just go to their dealer and get them there!

Deanski
Old 07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my RE050A's around the 3rd qtr of last year (IIRC) and as daily driver tires they've been great. However, this May I finally had a chance to take them out to the track and I was VERY dissapointed. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, but I just didn't have the same level of confidence with these tires because the grip I got with the PS2's wasn't there. There's also a more gradual slip with the PS2's that allows you to push them to the limit +1, and then dial it back under control. These tires felt like they were going from good grip to a sudden loss of control.

My lap times were about 3 seconds off per lap with these tires (even compared to my first visit to the track in my 997 after a 5 year hiatus from tracking my Mercedes E320).

My wallet is still happy I got the Bridgestones because I only got 6500 miles out of my PS2's before they corded, but I'm 7800 miles on these and I've got at least 60% life.

The moral to the story is that if you just daily drive your 997, these are great tires to have. If you track your car a lot, then you'll be happier with the PS2's (if you can afford replacing them frequently). If you have the cash though, get these for daily driving and PS Cup tires for the track (or Hoosiers).
Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Michelin is making now PS2s ZP (zero-pressure runflat) for the Corvette. Will these be available for the 911?

The Goodyear EMT runflats i currently have in my C6 are pretty good. They are grippy and they are not any louder than the Michelins were in my 996C4. Runflats offer peace of mind not only for the occasional puncture but also for a high-speed blowout - priceless from that perspective.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Ron for your input to this thread and it shows the RE050A's are a great tire for the money!

I too just could not see spending almost double per tire for ones that are somewhat better and last not as long.

Sure, if I was tracking the car often (and had lots of free $$) then there is no doubt the PS/2 Cup tires would be the best match.

Plus, others have had Yokohama tires and really like those as well some of the others.

I just hope they will last as long as my P-Zero's did!! Just hated the flat spots the P-Zero's would get from a short time in the garage.

For the money and for those only driving street, these are the way to go! That's unless you WANT to throw away cash for tires that perform just a bit better on the road. If you track the car often, then maybe the PS/2's are your best bet, but I'd still like to see how well the RE050A's do when you find the pressure sweet-spot on the track and run them.

I'm not too sure how well these RE050A's will do in resisting punctures. Never had one and hope I never will!

As for runflat's, I hated the first gen Bridgestones were when I had the Lexus SC430. Man they would "hunt" on thruway truck depressions, so much, you'd swear you are on a high speed track trying to keep the car pointed straight. A firm grip was what you needed with those tires! I'm sure the new generation ones are way better and the PS/2's ZP would be a great option if they performed the same way as normal PS/2's do!!! That would be worth paying a premium for having a runflat that performs like a regular performance tire on the street.

Time will tell for me at least. But those close to changing, you may as well contact your dealer and get them in. They come from Tire Rack due to the agreement I assume PCNA/Bridgestone/Tire Rack have in making sure owners get their tires before anyone else can.

Oh yea, don't forget you're $100.00 rebate from Bridestone!!!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 07-12-2008, 02:16 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Deanski, I think you've made the right call!

I'm convinced that the puncture problem is actually compounded by over-inflation and bad luck. I have TPMS on my car so I can watch the tire pressure flucuations, and it is really easy for them to get to the maximum pressure even on cold days if you have 19" rims that are filled at the factory recommended tire pressure because I've seen the pressure go up as much as 10psi during spirited driving or really hot days. I've found I have to knock 3 to 4 PSI off the recommendations to keep the tires at a pressure that doesn't exceed the maximum recommendations on the sidewall, and I never would have realized this if I didn't have TPMS (and was hypnotized by its ever changing numbers).
Old 07-12-2008, 04:26 PM
MarcBC
Track Day

For what its worth, I have the 305/30 R050As ( 102xl - extra load version) on my S coupe and have 12,000 miles on the rears. They just need changing now. The fronts (235/35s) still have some life in them. I have not tracked them, but have never had a problem in the cold and raining UK.

The problem in the UK is sourcing them. They are as rare as rocking horse s$%t over here at the moment.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:57 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Deanski - I have the pirelli zero's on my car 8500 miles will be replacing them soon I have the stock 19" "S" wheels (i.e, 295 in rear) I bet they look a bit fatter in the wheel which is a good thing So, what are the disadvantages of going to the 305 in the rear, if any? I assume they fit on the rims no prblem? Curious for the experts...if no disadvantges, why did not Porsche not simply put them on stock 19's?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

The stock 11x19 wheels will fit a 305 no problem. I have 305's on my C2s with Turbo wheels which are 11x19. The only so called disadvantage would be that the 305's have a bigger diameter than the 295 so you will lose some accelleration. All this is moot for street driving though so get either the 295 or 305.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:35 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default the RE05As on a C4S

Are great tires for daily driving and for the average track day spode (me).

I saved about $ 600.00 for a set on my AWD vs. Michelin PS2s.

The Michelin may offer greater ultimate grip - other than that, I commute on the Bridgestones ( 7,000 miles thus far) and tracked them once a Laguna - very confidence inspiring, controlled slip no problem............
Old 07-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cole328
Deanski - I have the pirelli zero's on my car 8500 miles will be replacing them soon I have the stock 19" "S" wheels (i.e, 295 in rear) I bet they look a bit fatter in the wheel which is a good thing So, what are the disadvantages of going to the 305 in the rear, if any? I assume they fit on the rims no prblem? Curious for the experts...if no disadvantges, why did not Porsche not simply put them on stock 19's?
Yes, they do look better. In fact, quite a few think I have spacers on as they tend to fill out the wheel well more than a 295 did. No problems with fitting them at all.

Wow only 8500? I got 17K miles on my set of P-Zeros! Maybe I was lucky, but it's mostly highway driving and some backroads.

For a street tire, these seem to do the trick. For track, I'll switch to 18" Cup or Yoko's.

I just did several runs to and from Lime Rock which is 83 miles one-way (ALMS Race) on some very nice twisty roads that are mostly light or hardly anyone around. Pushing the car, I felt the tires did a great job, no noise and seems to break away cleanly, gradually. And since I am the only one in the car I run them at the "modified" inflation per the manual at 33lbs front and 39lbs rear.

Deanski
Old 07-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

guys... has anybody even considered the Dunlop Direzza StarSpec and the Bridgestone RE01-R ??? these tires are suppose to be better than the PS2's and also the RE050A-PP.... .perhaps Damon from tire rack can chime in here and let us know..

Quick Reply: Bridgestone RE050A Tires-Question