Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch engagement point changed

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rmira
In addition to the engagment point changing, I also experienced and reported the vibration problem. I assume the fix is for all the problems I reported. I'll let you know tomorrow.
Thanks...we're all ears!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 AM
rmira
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my car, the clutch is back to normal. The following is the report as it appeared on my service ticket:

I stated:

1. The clutch engagement point changed.
2. There is a vibration felt when the clutch pedal is slightly pushed.
3. There is a squeak heard from the engine area when the clutch is depressed.

Description of Work Done:

Pressure plate bolts loose. Removed belly pans, transmission. Replaced loose pressure plates bolts and inspected clutch. Lubed clutch pivots and reassembled.

Labor: 4.1 units
Material: qty. 6 cheese-HD. screws, part # 900-387-265-09

The work was done under warranty, but not without a scare. The service advisor called Monday AM, prior to the work being done, to let me know that the problems I was describing could be due to a worn clutch. And clutch wear is not covered under warranty. I strenously objected - there are only 3500 miles on the car, purchased May '06. Of course the problem was as described above and there was no clutch wear.

(Side Note - During my tirade I told the SA I was one of the few people on the M5 forum, m5board.com, that got 60K miles out of an E39 M5 clutch - he was shocked.)
Old 07-26-2006, 12:37 AM

Thank you, great information. I'll copy this and post it on the clutch vbration thread
Old 07-26-2006, 12:43 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the follow up!

Anyone know how much a new clutch job goes for?
Old 07-26-2006, 03:24 PM
rmira
Instructor

The service advisor told me a new clutch, parts and labor was about $3K.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:24 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rmira
The service advisor told me a new clutch, parts and labor was about $3K.
Ouch!

How long is one of these bad boys supposed to last?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:39 PM
rmira
Instructor

I'm sure others who have more experience with 911s than I do could give you a better idea - this one is my first.

For what it's worth, my previous car was a 2001 M5, great car, but notoriously weak clutches. I was able to get 60K out of the clutch. I'm guessing, if I drive my 997 the same way, I'll get more. I have not seen any posts talking about premature clutch wear on this forum or others.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:01 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bullet
I have found the clutch on my 997 (M97) to be very vague compared to my 996 (M96). he engagement point does not seem consistent, but the diferences are very small. My M96 was much easier to launch also.

Keen to hear where this is all going . . .
I drove about 12 cars before I bought my 996 last year. I noticed a few things from car to car. Some had very stiff clutch pedals. Each one they ended up replacing the clutch due to a bad pressure plate. I drove one that had a worn out disc. On the highway in 3rd or 4th, when you accelerate the tach would rise, but not the speedo. I woudl say from all the cars I have looked at and driven, these clutches are good for 30-40K miles. I have noticed that these clutches consistantly engage high.

On my car, when I first test drove it I noticed the clutch was very stiff. About 2 days later, the dealer called me and told me they replaced the clutch. After going through CPO, I got a printout of the work. The clutch that was installed was a 997 clutch, i.e. a 997 part number. I am not sure the difference, but the 996 replacment clutch has been superceeded by the 997 clutch. It doesn't really feel different than a 996 with a good clutch in it. It is still light with a very high engagement point.

I had an RMS/IMS seal replacement done recently. I noticed when I first got the car back, that the clutch was a lot stiffer with a different release point. I am not sure the procedure for pulling the tranny, but putting it back in required a day fro everything to settle. It settled back to normal lightening in feel and engaging at the top of the pedal again. About 2 weeks ago, I test drove a new 997S and the clutch didn't feel any different than the one in my 996.

Quick Reply: Clutch engagement point changed