BRALESS-removal of clear bra (PICS)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 06:37 PM
snarf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
No, Snarf! You gotta have PSE!!!!!!!!! <g>
NoNoNoNomore there has to be a limit to how much I spend on options there has to be has to be has to be, please please nomore nomore
Old 07-13-2006, 07:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

What is the going cost for a 3m clear bra for the front plus mirrors? My dealer states $699.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
What is the going cost for a 3m clear bra for the front plus mirrors? My dealer states $699.
Depends on which install you do; the kit which is what most dealers use, or the sheet (very large pieces of material custom cut for the car where the seams are wraped under the hood and edges).

Kits can run you $500-800, sheet installs are from $700 to over a grand. Go for the custom sheet installation. Trust me, the kits are sht.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Don't forget the door cups! Women can put more scratches in that area faster than you think!

I did the whole front airdam, Aerokit, 1/2 hood (wrap edges), fender wings, headlights, side mirrors, door cups, wheel dog legs for about $1200.

Look at it this way.... How much did you spend for your car? How much will it be to re-shoot a panel or hood? Don't go cheap on installers. Find one that you can view their work on a P car. Look for any defects (bubbles, insects, razor cuts etc) and then choose.

Armorglove has thier own website as well with dealers in several states.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 07-14-2006, 09:42 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Deanski
Don't forget the door cups! Women can put more scratches in that area faster than you think!

I did the whole front airdam, Aerokit, 1/2 hood (wrap edges), fender wings, headlights, side mirrors, door cups, wheel dog legs for about $1200.

Look at it this way.... How much did you spend for your car? How much will it be to re-shoot a panel or hood? Don't go cheap on installers. Find one that you can view their work on a P car. Look for any defects (bubbles, insects, razor cuts etc) and then choose.

Armorglove has thier own website as well with dealers in several states.

Regards,
Deanski
Aboslutely agree. Door cups--good one. I'll put that on my list of to-do's. Thanks-
Old 07-14-2006, 10:54 AM
JJS 03S
Instructor

Default Bra on White

A general question to anyone who has a clear bra on white. Does yellowing show up more? Or, any other special problems with white? Is the clear bra needed more on white?
I have a white 2007 Carrera on order and can not decide if I will need a clear bra or not.
Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-14-2006, 11:51 AM
sullic
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Kets work fine

I have had 2 cars done with Kits. Both work just fine. The installer is the key.

I also had a car that was wrapped at the edges. I prefer the cars that were NOT wrapped. The ones that are wrapped can tear, and you need to deal with them. Without, you don't and I have never had an issue. Either way, I like the product. 3M has some new film out now that doesn't yellow as much.

I use a company called Proformauto.com They do much of the work for Porsche on the east coast. Rob sells his kits to other installers. He trains the guys who put the kits on the 997's in front of the back wheels as the come off the boats.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:04 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JJS 03S
A general question to anyone who has a clear bra on white. Does yellowing show up more? Or, any other special problems with white? Is the clear bra needed more on white?
I have a white 2007 Carrera on order and can not decide if I will need a clear bra or not.
Thanks,
Jay
You'll have a few optimist say the material will "never" yellow, but it's just not true. The sun's UV rays destroy everything man has ever created, including this thin polyurethane material. It will last you years before turning yellow, though. Buy it for protection and replace it when it's too yellow or begins to peel. One or the other will eventually happen--it's ok. You'll have had it for years, longer than any other bra would last with constant use. Do it.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:06 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sullic
I have had 2 cars done with Kits. Both work just fine. The installer is the key.

I also had a car that was wrapped at the edges. I prefer the cars that were NOT wrapped. The ones that are wrapped can tear, and you need to deal with them. Without, you don't and I have never had an issue. Either way, I like the product. 3M has some new film out now that doesn't yellow as much.

I use a company called Proformauto.com They do much of the work for Porsche on the east coast. Rob sells his kits to other installers. He trains the guys who put the kits on the 997's in front of the back wheels as the come off the boats.
Kits work. They don't work fine. They peel on the ends, get wax under the edges, don't protect the lips of the hood and generally give 95% protection. If you have some super job, we'd all like to see it. POST YOUR PICS, up close pics please. I've seen some "good" jobs, but not even close to a sheet install--not even close. It just comes down to what are you willing to pay for and how much protection do you want.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

My dealer is doing a 3M install on my new 997S when it come in on Wednesday. They said they do not use a kit. My car is black so hopefully this film will stop all the little white sand/stone chips.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:15 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

My dealer is doing a 3M install on my new 997S when it come in on Wednesday. They said they do not use a kit. My car is black so hopefully this film will stop all the little white sand/stone chips.
I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU SEE THE INSTALLER'S WORK FIRST. Make sure it's wrapped under the edges of the hood, lights and edges. Scrutinize!
Old 07-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I too have black and you'll be happy that it's protected from the stone chips.

SILVERSTEEL: Yep, door cups are a must now! It's always been an overlooked place, but often gets hammered by fingernails. It's always wise to do the dog legs on the wheel arches to protect from flying stones. I did both front and rear.

Bottom line, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS view the work of the firm doing your car to make sure the quality of workmanship and quaity of films used.

On another note, some of the never films get a bit "sticky" when in the sun and warm. When that happens and you try to clean/detail it, the fibers from any MF towel will be transferred to the film, but only temporary as soon as it cools and in the shade, they release.

As for care, avoid wax as it yellows (most waxes are "yellow caranuba" anyway) so use plastic cleaners/treatments such as Plexus and Plastix which work well. You CAN use a sealant over it as long as it does not contain too much naptha or other petro chems in it.

These new films can scratch easily being soft, but they are more forgiving than the older 3m films. Use care in what you use to clean and wipe with.

Enjoy the film and be happy that your finish is now protected!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 07-14-2006, 11:50 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Deanski
I too have black and you'll be happy that it's protected from the stone chips.

SILVERSTEEL: Yep, door cups are a must now! It's always been an overlooked place, but often gets hammered by fingernails. It's always wise to do the dog legs on the wheel arches to protect from flying stones. I did both front and rear.
Did you do the full hood install, or just the lower part? I've peeled mine off the hood and fenders and man does it look good without it. I left it on the front facia with the intent of removing it as well prior to the sheet intall.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I had just the lower part covered, not too bad looking, but full coverage will always look more even. Now it takes good products and light touches to maintain the film so it's not as noticable.

Every so often depending on the film, I pull it all off, re-polish with Menzerna polishes to a fine high gloss, then have the crew re-film. Films do get tired and as you pointed out can yellow. All too often I get people complaining that the film looks dull after time. That's after I learn they use wax to apply on the film or worse, using a "cleaner wax" to treat the film.

I tell everyone, ask the firm that installed it how they want to treat it. Some films react differently to chemicals. For most, I use Plexus. These are 3M, Dupont and a few other.

Too bad Porsche has yet to get into Ceramiclear finishes offered on MB cars. Clearcoat that is very hard to scratch. There is also a new paint clearcoat that can be repaired by heat! That's right, get some marring and by the afternoon sun, it's gone! I forget which company makes this paint, but it's one interesting idea!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 07-15-2006, 12:30 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I'd pay through the nose for that new paint that heals itself. That is awesome. It sounds like you left your hood uncovered and just covered the nose. I think that's what I'll end up doing. I like seeing the paint on the hood. Also, I don't drive it that much anyway (second car). That black looks really nice.

Quick Reply: BRALESS-removal of clear bra (PICS)!!!