Sponsored by:

Funny encounter with the law this morning

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:41 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Funny encounter with the law this morning

This morning I was taking my daughter to school in the 911. I was driving in the carpool lane because you only need 2 people in the car and kids count. Anyway, I was waiting in the carpool lane at a traffic light when two cops on bikes come up behind me and stop - with their lights off. I notice but don't think much of it.

The next thing I know one of them is knocking on my passenger window. Naturally I assume he can't see my daughter in the back seat so he's going to warn me about the carpool lane abuse (can't ticket for that alone), so I point to my daughter in the back seat. He knocks on the window again and says roll your window down, so naturally I do. So what does he do? He asks me "hey, what kind of gas mileage do you get in this thing?" I say about 17 on a good day (I don't have the courage to tell him 15.4 avg for the first 3400 miles ). He goes, "that's pretty good for an AWD car! Is it pretty fun to drive?" I pause for a second wondering if I'm being ambushed, but I'm seeing the way he's looking at the car and I am starting to suspect this cop is a real car guy. I reply, "oh yeah, its a blast - I had my first track day just a few weeks ago". He replies "Cool - Pacific Raceways?" (car guy confirmed) and we chit chat for about a minute before he ends with "nice car - have a good day" and gets back on his bike.

Now this light is the last light before the interstate on-ramp and normally I'd introduce the world to the Porsche Sports Exhaust and show them my 0 - 70+ times, but despite this guy being a car guy I couldn't bring myself to go past 50 on the ramp and lock on cruise control at 60 on the interstate. They ultimately pass me and go about 80, and wave.

Now this is something I've never seen before!
Old 07-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Everyone once in a while you get people (cops included) that are secure enough to act human and not be complete asses, always makes you feel better.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:20 PM
CJC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

There's one down here in Miami too ! Stopped me when I was doing a minimum of 20 over in a 45 mph posted area, asked me for my license, registration, and proof of insurance. He went back to his patrol car and at this point I figured I was definitely getting a ticket. Well he comes to me and hands me all my documents back with no citation and asked "That's not a stock exhaust is it ? It really sounds great. I said to myself "car enthusiast" He then said "I know it's not easy but slow down a little bit and have a nice day."
Old 07-06-2006, 02:27 PM
MMD
Banned

They were going to warn you about carpool lane; he finally saw your passenger and changed his plan.

They're trained to ask "surprising" questions ( gas mileage) and watch carefully how you react. You passed, so the car-guy stuff became an issue.

Meanwhile the other cop is checking for an "Amber Alert" and seeing if the car is reported stolen.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
They were going to warn you about carpool lane; he finally saw your passenger and changed his plan.

They're trained to ask "surprising" questions ( gas mileage) and watch carefully how you react. You passed, so the car-guy stuff became an issue.

Meanwhile the other cop is checking for an "Amber Alert" and seeing if the car is reported stolen.
I was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to drag down the feel good thread, nice job!!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ron, you guys have carpool lanes on surface streets??? ... I've never heard of traffic lights over carpool lanes. That's really odd.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:44 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Ron, you guys have carpool lanes on surface streets??? ... I've never heard of traffic lights over carpool lanes. That's really odd.
We have a few in N. Cal also. It's kind of odd because it's on the right hand lane and people (with no passenger) could use the lane when they need to make a right turn.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:49 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MMD

Yep, this is probably what was really going on.(except substitute warn for ticket ) WTF does he care what mileage it gets??? I guess they're just doing their job.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:02 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
This morning I was taking my daughter to school in the 911. I was driving in the carpool lane because you only need 2 people in the car and kids count. Anyway, I was waiting in the carpool lane at a traffic light when two cops on bikes come up behind me and stop - with their lights off. I notice but don't think much of it.

The next thing I know one of them is knocking on my passenger window. Naturally I assume he can't see my daughter in the back seat so he's going to warn me about the carpool lane abuse (can't ticket for that alone), so I point to my daughter in the back seat. He knocks on the window again and says roll your window down, so naturally I do. So what does he do? He asks me "hey, what kind of gas mileage do you get in this thing?" I say about 17 on a good day (I don't have the courage to tell him 15.4 avg for the first 3400 miles ). He goes, "that's pretty good for an AWD car! Is it pretty fun to drive?" I pause for a second wondering if I'm being ambushed, but I'm seeing the way he's looking at the car and I am starting to suspect this cop is a real car guy. I reply, "oh yeah, its a blast - I had my first track day just a few weeks ago". He replies "Cool - Pacific Raceways?" (car guy confirmed) and we chit chat for about a minute before he ends with "nice car - have a good day" and gets back on his bike.

Now this light is the last light before the interstate on-ramp and normally I'd introduce the world to the Porsche Sports Exhaust and show them my 0 - 70+ times, but despite this guy being a car guy I couldn't bring myself to go past 50 on the ramp and lock on cruise control at 60 on the interstate. They ultimately pass me and go about 80, and wave.

Now this is something I've never seen before!
Good story. I had a cop friend of mine driving my NSX one Sunday and he was pushing it through an intersection and we had cop on our tail almost instantly. He started hauling and after half a mile pulled over. The patrol man got out and was yelling as he approached my car (I was freakin' out). Once he reached the driver's side he slapped his thigh and started laughing. My buddy was his training partner so they got a laugh out of it and I stained my underwear.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:14 PM
steve775
Instructor

I hope that happens to me when it's "my turn". I have not gotten pulled over for speeding --- yet.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Along SilverSteel's lines... I drove into the parking lot of a restaurant a couple of months ago. They have a large number of tables outside and there were about 15 people having lunch. I got lucky and found a space right in the front. I was just getting out of my car when a patrol car turns into the parking lot. Cop gets out and walks over to me. You could really feel how EVERYBODY on the veranda was staring... oooh, now the Porsche dude is in trouble... we gotta see this... what's gonna happen...

Now, what did happen...?

Cop and I gave each other a big hug because he's my buddy and we were getting together for lunch.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:59 PM
frayed
Race Car

Doesn't seem so prudent to hug a feller openly in Bossier LA, but anyway. . .

j/k

Some damn good stories in this thread. MMD, well done.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frayed
Doesn't seem so prudent to hug a feller openly in Bossier LA, but anyway. . .
Ha ha, Jeff, you are so right!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:45 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yep, they are rare but they are great where they have them. In fact, they do it in a 3rd lane with barriers near most traffic lights so while the other lanes are stopped at a light you can keep cruising through.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MMD

Perhaps your right, but I like to think that he was just a car guy.

I doubt the whole Amber Alert part though because those are big things up here. They have alerts on signs and everything, so if there was an AA I would have known about it and I've never heard of a AA suspect driving a 911! It's usually a beater car or at least a car or truck < $25,000.

Quick Reply: Funny encounter with the law this morning