Sponsored by:

Navigation stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:28 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation stopped working

My naviagtion suddenly started putting me on roads in a different part of town from the area in which I was actually driving. The nav would track my car across the roads on the screen and across lakes, parks, and whatever else happened to be on the screen. Now it is simply stuck in one spot. The dealership checked the nav antenna and everything else and declared that everything appeared to be functioning okay--even though it still was not functioning properly. They sent an email to PAG to find out what the problem might be. Still no word after a few days. Anyone have any hints or advice?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Ctrl-Alt-Del

Old 07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I was thinking.

Did Bill Gates design the nav software too?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:27 PM
MMD
Banned

Replace entire PCM unit? Replace entire Nav CD drive? Seems like the only sure thing. Lots of entire PCMs were replaced to solve simple problems (e.g. CD won't eject). Hang in there... .
Old 07-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Weissy
Instructor

I had the exact same thing happen to me twice. When it happened to me I went to nav status and both times I had lost the "3D" GPS status. Both times lasted about 30 minutes. And both times were in two totally different areas. Both times the nav started working again just as oddly as it stopped. Now I have had the car for about 18 months now and it has only happened twice. I have no idea why but hopefully yours snaps out of it like mine did.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Maybe it had something to do with that huge Meteor that passed by the earth doing 40,000 MPH.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:59 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Weissy
I had the exact same thing happen to me twice. When it happened to me I went to nav status and both times I had lost the "3D" GPS status. Both times lasted about 30 minutes. And both times were in two totally different areas. Both times the nav started working again just as oddly as it stopped. Now I have had the car for about 18 months now and it has only happened twice. I have no idea why but hopefully yours snaps out of it like mine did.
Some intersting "theories" you folks have, but thsi description is similar to my situation. It has happened in the past and then suddenly started working again. This time it is now just simply stuck. If I enter in a location into nav, it directs me to it from the spot appearning on my map on screen, which is on the other side of town somewhere. Maybe black/terra had it right with his gutting and replacement of the PCM!!
Old 07-06-2006, 04:02 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Statman, this is from left field... but do you have Navi set to show the current position or the last destination? The moving map will not "move" unless you select the former option. Sorry, car is not here today and my PCM manual is at home, too...

-don
Old 07-06-2006, 04:25 PM
kasendorf
Advanced

Just reading this thread and was going to post the same response as DSTRIMBU. This happened to me a few weeks ago and I did not have the NAV set to current position.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:40 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Statman, this is from left field... but do you have Navi set to show the current position or the last destination? The moving map will not "move" unless you select the former option. Sorry, car is not here today and my PCM manual is at home, too...

-don
I did not have it on this setting, but they did mess around with it quite a bit at the dealership. It is worth checking out. I don't know what is better--being stuck in one spot or having my nav screen operating and displaying me driving across Lake Monona.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

I had a similar problem right after I got the car .
The nav. showed my position to be about 30 miles from where I was.
It turned out to be a defective Antenna.
They replaced it and it has been working great since then.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Hartley
Intermediate

I have an escalade that had the same issue. Bad antenna. It turns out it still showed movement and turning (althougt not correct location) as the system has a built in gyros or something similar.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:10 PM
mmcmilla
Advanced

I just opened a new thread, though I probably could have just joined in on this. I have experienced the same problem. Statman, did you get your problem fixed? If so, what was the problem?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:36 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

I had a similar problem too where I am driving around all over the place and the NAV map seemed to be stuck somewhere totally on the other side of town. For me it was that I didn't have it set to show current position and it was showing my last destination entered. Worked for me...had me lost as hell for a few minutes though and took a trip back to the PCM manual to figure out WTF was going on. It's worth a try.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:29 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by STATMAN
I did not have it on this setting, but they did mess around with it quite a bit at the dealership. It is worth checking out. I don't know what is better--being stuck in one spot or having my nav screen operating and displaying me driving across Lake Monona.
That's just the car bragging about its abilities. Everyone knows that Porsches are so fast that they can "walk on water!"

Quick Reply: Navigation stopped working