Booze and women.

Booze and women.

Won't that rot my teeth or something?
Old 06-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Oh, I'm not mod adverse at all. In fact I'm about to do some major re-engineering to my car that I'll post as soon as it's done and I've driven it.

But I bought a new DME to use with the mods, and the original can be re-instated for appropriate purposes
I was not pointing fingers at anyone specific just making a general comment. I'm thinking about the PSE exhaust post. Surprising to me some of the comments -like why bother touching a perfect car. I'm on my 12th plus Pcar and none have been bone stock. All have at least exhaust and suspension upgrades.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:42 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

I think a lot of the ability to product additional horsepower for cheap has something to do with the HP/liter ratio. Look at the engines that are producing extra HP from low-cost mods - most of them are not anywhere close to the nearly 100:1 ratio Porsche gets from its engines, which would tend to indicate it has engineered almost as much power as you can get without swapping some internals or bolting on some S/C or turbo.

A good comparison would be the S2000 which gets more than 100 hp/liter. Can you just bolt on an exhaust, headers, or swap the ECU and show significant gains there too?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:02 PM
wushuhsu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just keep wondering why Porsche AG itself does not optimize the headers and exhaust system itself?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:05 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default So who told you that stage 1 mods dont work?

Porsche?

You show me one, just one Dyno report that shows exhaust, chip, headers, intake, cat added onto a porsche shows no increase. Normally aspired or not.

Furthermore, do you actually think Porsche is the only OEM company that make stock breathing parts as good as aftermarket?

Would you say the same about say Ferrari? Do you think their stock exhaust is as good as Tubi? Do you know I bought a OEM 360 muffler off ebay for $165? At any given moment you will see about five 360 mufflers on eBay...Why? People are swapping them.

As far as warranty, You tell me one, just one failure you can think of in any stretch of the imagination that a dealer can attribute to a freer flowing system other than your cat.

A dealership loike Champion for instance sees 25% of their cars modded, in fact they have a mod dept there at the dealership. Therefore if a particular tightass at your dealership is giving you the high snoot about your mod, tell them to fark off and take your biz to someone that understands what a sportscar should be.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:11 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

all 3 porsche dealerships here have mod departments - they are all doing cats, headers, exhaust, intake and chips

primarily using evo intake, giac chip, evo headers..either fabspeed, awe, tubi or pse exhausts

they are all selling them, installing them, and warranteeing - i have it in writing (email) that my mods will not void my warranty
Old 06-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

[QUOTE=gravedgr]I think a lot of the ability to product additional horsepower for cheap has something to do with the HP/liter ratio.

Very good point. It is much easier to build HP in a turbo motor vs a NA but the issue I hear more on this forum are warranty issues - read the reply from caf on this thread. On my 996TT I had the dealer install: exhaust, suspension and SSK. Never even thought about warranty issues. You don't hear many turbo guys complain about warranty issues. I wonder if people actually have warranty issues or if they just worry abuot them.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:39 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Truble10]
Originally Posted by gravedgr
I think a lot of the ability to product additional horsepower for cheap has something to do with the HP/liter ratio.

Very good point. It is much easier to build HP in a turbo motor vs a NA but the issue I hear more on this forum are warranty issues - read the reply from caf on this thread. On my 996TT I had the dealer install: exhaust, suspension and SSK. Never even thought about warranty issues. You don't hear many turbo guys complain about warranty issues. I wonder if people actually have warranty issues or if they just worry abuot them.
There are a few threads on the 996 Tubo forum about Porsche looking for any excuse to void warranty work on transmissions. It has nothing to do with mods of course but my guess is that it's going to vary greatly from shop to shop and in some cases they may try to get out of warranty work and point to the mods. If your shop is mod friendly then you probably have little to fear.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wushuhsu
I just keep wondering why Porsche AG itself does not optimize the headers and exhaust system itself?
O ye of little faith.

Of course they did, within the tight constraints imposed by strict regulations regarding emissions.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:47 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black/terra
You show me one, just one Dyno report that shows exhaust, chip, headers, intake, cat added onto a porsche shows no increase. Normally aspired or not.
I don't think anyone said "no increase". I think most people doubt the numbers that are posted. I'm sure most aftermarket products add some increase - the question is just how much is really added to your car, not how much they were able to show via a subjective dyno test (or no test at all!).

It all comes down to a $/hp perspective. If people are selling 35 hp for $700, then $20/hp is a good deal. If it turns out you only get 7 hp, then $100/hp is probably not what you were wanting to pay unless you were buying for asthetics like sound or looks.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:29 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default true

Doing a stage one is prolly your best $/HP though. Lets say 30 for $3k, about $100 per HP.....

Intercooled supercharger at $20K will give you added HP and definately void your warranty.

Considering your warranty has to be worth say $6K if you had to add a $ figure to it, then youre right back to square one...$26K for say 80HP, about $300 per HP.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:13 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30 WHP for $3K? En sus suenos!

More like 20 for 3-5K So lets say $200/HP. Still not X-51 expensive.

How about 125 or so HP for $14K? Yeah Baby, now that's FAST (we're talking near Z-06 HP/Wt ratios here! And, it's a Porsche.)

That's a mod.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:03 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black/terra
Doing a stage one is prolly your best $/HP though. Lets say 30 for $3k, about $100 per HP.....

Intercooled supercharger at $20K will give you added HP and definately void your warranty.

Considering your warranty has to be worth say $6K if you had to add a $ figure to it, then youre right back to square one...$26K for say 80HP, about $300 per HP.
Most guys are reporting ~150 crank HP for the S/C at a cost of $8-12k (depending on kit). That sounds like $53-80/hp to me. You can't put a price on a warranty, since there is no guarantee the modifications will cause a problem.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:04 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

allegretto, it's just a matter of time until we see pic. of your car with a SC.Isn't it?
Old 06-30-2006, 03:55 AM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

allegretto, it's just a matter of time until we see pic. of your car with a SC.Isn't it?
He's got it in hand just waiting to bolt that bad boy into place. Sign me up!

Quick Reply: Need More Power??? 25 More Ponies