Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De-ionized water: how well do solutions like CRSpotless work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

Though not black, Atlas grey is dark, and in the past I shyed (sp) away from them, but when clean, nothing beats its beauty. Arizona lacks rain, and therefore most of the time I am OK, but there is so much dust in the air, that by weeks end I still have to wash the car. A little more effort in drying and removing water spots, and then after a drive, removing more water spots and re-polishing (with something like Z8, Z6 (Zaino)). If you are in a climate where it does not rain much, then you should be OK.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought Mr clean autodry carwash ($35) didn't believe it would work! Tried it first on my wifes black BMW X5......of course made a change--->used another shampoo...and it didn't work!!
So used it with Mr Clean Autodry shampoo.....and it worked....no waterspots AT ALL!! You got to buy their shampoo $5 per small 10 wash bottle and water filter $5 per 10 washes....
Old 06-24-2006, 10:44 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mr. clean does work. however, there's something terribly funky with the soap; it gunks up your wash mits with a tar like residue and leaves a film on your car. I think it's full of silicone.

I won't use it anymore, except on beater cars.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:08 PM
loliver
Instructor

Look at this one, http://www.spotfreeh2o.com/
I use it for both cars and boats. works very well and does not need expensive filter packs
Old 07-05-2006, 12:39 AM
rmklaw
Instructor

I bought the CR Spottless (large size) about two months ago, but never had a chance to test it since I always dry the car. Today however, while I was doing the wheels (after rinsing the car) the sun came out to about 90 degrees (Denver). By the time I went back to dry the car (black) it had dried by itself and had absolutely no water spots. I have hard water. This made me a believer.

What I did on mine is put a sediment filter ahead of the CR Spottless to remove as much sediment as possible.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:29 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a CRSpotless as well, the smaller on-cart unit. I used the DI water for the whole process - wetting, soaping, and rinsing. It worked amazingly well on the first four or five cars I washed, but then the quality dropped off dramatically on the last car I washed. Spots everywhere.

I called the company, and turns out the filter may be spent after just five washes. Reason being that here in SW Florida we have a soft water filter, and soft water makes ions which are apparently more slippery and more difficult for the filters in the device to remove. The best way to wash here, I'm told, is to use regular water for the wetting and soaping, then switch to DI for only the final rinse. This way you conserve as much of the treated water as possible.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:17 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I have a CRSpotless as well, the smaller on-cart unit. I used the DI water for the whole process - wetting, soaping, and rinsing. It worked amazingly well on the first four or five cars I washed, but then the quality dropped off dramatically on the last car I washed. Spots everywhere.

I called the company, and turns out the filter may be spent after just five washes. Reason being that here in SW Florida we have a soft water filter, and soft water makes ions which are apparently more slippery and more difficult for the filters in the device to remove. The best way to wash here, I'm told, is to use regular water for the wetting and soaping, then switch to DI for only the final rinse. This way you conserve as much of the treated water as possible.
I have been researching these units and was told by that company that the large unit would yield an average of 300 gallons of DI water. They told me it could produce significantly less in area that have very hard water. The filters are not cheap.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the CRSpotless unit and it does not work in AZ. The filters were replaced, then a total replacement unit was used and I still end up with spots. I am sure it is due to the terrible water we have here. My unit is headed for the trash can. Deven, it is yours if you want it.

Last edited by Texas993; 07-05-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using this deionizing water stick on my 997 and ML, it works very well. I only cost faction of the CR spotless system. Definitely work much better then the Mr. Clean. Follow this link
http://www.watersticks.com/cwdi.htm
Old 07-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by pjconner
I have the CRSpotless unit and it does not work in AZ. The filters were replaced, then a total replacement unit was used and I still end up with spots. I am sure it is due to the terrible water we have here. My unit is headed for the trash can. Deven, it is yours if you want it.
Thanks but, nahhh, we already have one that I do not use anymore. I guess it is the price to pay for the excellent wether we have, and we just have to manually remove the spots. The only thought would be if we daisy chained the filters, would double filtering make a difference? My suspicion is no.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:00 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Deven
Thanks but, nahhh, we already have one that I do not use anymore. I guess it is the price to pay for the excellent wether we have, and we just have to manually remove the spots. The only thought would be if we daisy chained the filters, would double filtering make a difference? My suspicion is no.
Yes, in theory. The whole idea is to expose the water to as much resin as possible. However if the flow rate is too high or there is not enough surface area for the severity of the dissolved minerals than you need more "cleaning" of the water.

Now, I assume you put the flow restrictors in properly. Do you have a softener upstream from the de-ionizer?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Yes, in theory. The whole idea is to expose the water to as much resin as possible. However if the flow rate is too high or there is not enough surface area for the severity of the dissolved minerals than you need more "cleaning" of the water.

Now, I assume you put the flow restrictors in properly. Do you have a softener upstream from the de-ionizer?
Yep, the water is restricted and my outdoor water is not connected to the softener. I think I tried everything as I really wanted it to work.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
I have been using this deionizing water stick on my 997 and ML, it works very well. I only cost faction of the CR spotless system. Definitely work much better then the Mr. Clean. Follow this link
http://www.watersticks.com/cwdi.htm
This looks interesting. Might have to check out.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

It does not look good but it work great.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:39 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the larger CRSpotless system and it works quite well here in Central CA. I connect the output of the unit to an inexpensive pressure washer Ibought at Home depot for less than $100 to reduce the amount of water needed to wash and rinse my cars. I use the de-ionized water in a bucket with carwash soap, then rinse off with the pressure washer, then a quick final dry with a couple of microfiber towels. Very happy so far, probably washed 20+ cars and still working very well. Our water is not super hard but I hd lots of problems with water spots before I got the CRS unit.

Quick Reply: De-ionized water: how well do solutions like CRSpotless work?