Sponsored by:

240 degree oil temp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
My oil pressure at idle is always at 1.5 bar when warn.
Mine's usually around that too,..no worries!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:32 PM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Both sensors are installed in the liquid so they read the fluid temps as they exsist, regardless of hot spots. The location is good and the sensors are very accurate if you read them through the computer.
Still don't get why the coolant sensor reading isn't moving a bit during changing loads?
It seems the needle of the gauge is stuck at 175 F.

Oil temperature reading is significantly slower at temperature, compared to the coolant.

At an ambient temperature of 75 F, it takes about three minutes to get the coolant at 175 F, while the oil takes 3 or 4 minutes longer. In winter time this takes another few minutes.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:18 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PV
Still don't get why the coolant sensor reading isn't moving a bit during changing loads?
It seems the needle of the gauge is stuck at 175 F.

Oil temperature reading is significantly slower at temperature, compared to the coolant.

At an ambient temperature of 75 F, it takes about three minutes to get the coolant at 175 F, while the oil takes 3 or 4 minutes longer. In winter time this takes another few minutes.

As I have repeatedly said, the Porsche gauges do not show the correct water temp and even a 20F change in temp is not reflected as you would expect it to be. The 996's are better at showing change, but still show lower than actual temp.

Frankly, it does not matter. Get to know what temperature your engine is at whatever reading is on the gauge and you'll be good to go. For instance, on the 996, when the needle is on the "0" in 180, the engine temp is really about 210F. The guages are wrong but consistant.

OIl will always take longer to heat up than coolant. Remember that the oil is continuously flowing through the cooler whereas the coolant is maintained only in the engine until it reaches a temperature which opens the thermostat and allows it to head for the radiators.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:49 PM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
As I have repeatedly said, the Porsche gauges do not show the correct water temp and even a 20F change in temp is not reflected as you would expect it to be. The 996's are better at showing change, but still show lower than actual temp.

Frankly, it does not matter. Get to know what temperature your engine is at whatever reading is on the gauge and you'll be good to go. For instance, on the 996, when the needle is on the "0" in 180, the engine temp is really about 210F. The guages are wrong but consistant.

OIl will always take longer to heat up than coolant. Remember that the oil is continuously flowing through the cooler whereas the coolant is maintained only in the engine until it reaches a temperature which opens the thermostat and allows it to head for the radiators.
Assume you are right as you measured directly, but in general I don't buy the story that the gauge is more than 20 F. We have relatively nice weather the coming days, so will try to get that needle of his spot

Quick Reply: 240 degree oil temp?