Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to Remove Dust Without Washing/Detailing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Is there a way to Remove Dust Without Washing/Detailing?

I have read all the posts about detailing. I have purchased many of the recommended products.

Question: If you just washed your car, and it is only dusty within a day or two, how do you remove the dust without washing/waxing all over again?

I know there is a California Duster, but is this safe? Is there something else I have not found from Griot's or the like where you can simply wipe the dust off without scratching the clear coat and without a full wash/wax/detail?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

I bought the Griot's microfiber duster and like it - but would never use it for anything but garage dust only, i.e., no road dirt.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any MF "duster" will work much better as they contain no waxes and look like a mop. Very close to a California Duster, but again, no wax.

As long as it dust/pollen etc, you're fine. If it's dirt (sand,etc) you are better off washing due to possibility of marring.

It takes a very light touch AND numerous times of cleaning/beating the duster free of the dust per panel. If it's light, you can use a QD spray on it to help keep the dust on the mop. CLean it often by beating the duster and running your hand through it to see if it's becoming trapped with dirt.

Always test an area first and work top down.

Keeping it clean!

Dr. Shine
Old 06-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Any MF "duster" will work much better...

Do you have a company suggestion? I'll go to their web site and order one with your direction.

Thanks....

Last edited by Dariof; 06-21-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:33 PM
MMD
Banned

Since they're basically tack cloths (used by woodworkers for example) on a stick, you can't really shake them out to clean them, you can only shake them to redistribute grit so it gets buried and realigned in the fibers and won't scratch.

The other thing you can do is run a wet towel followed by dry MF one over the car's merely dusty (not dirty and gritty) areas; kinda like a sponge bath. Very important to make sure you turn frequently.

I've never noticed any degradation of the paint's shine doing this. But than again I'm not looking at the car under a microscope like it's a precious museum piece.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:42 PM
cr2000
Advanced

I've tried dusters and microfiber cloths in the past on other cars and always found that they left fine scratches. So now after dust accumulates on my Porsche, I get the leaf blower out and just blow the dust off the car. Keep the air stream about 3 or 4 feet from the cars surface and just use a quick motion. Dust blows right off the car without touching the paint.

Obviously you don't want to do this in a closed space since you'd just end up recirculating the dust.

Work quite well.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:28 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
The other thing you can do is run a wet towel followed by dry MF one over the car's merely dusty (not dirty and gritty) areas; kinda like a sponge bath.
Bad advice.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:33 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
Bad advice.
Definitely bad advice for guys interested in microscopic detailing procedures.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:34 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I have been a regular user of California duster and like it. Use only on cool car. But recently I tried this product:

Kozak auto drywash

So far it is excellent and no parafin!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:31 PM
MMD
Banned

Default Enjoy the details, but in the end so what?

Originally Posted by Dariof
I know there is a California Duster, but is this safe?
My first BMW I took great care of. I was a nut about detailing (no kids, no houses, no wife). No door dings, perrrrrfect paint (divided car into zones, two separated wash mitts, had a screen at the bottom of wash bucket etc etc etc).

Then I eventually brought it in for trade in and got a certain amount. Then I protested saying the car's paint was perfect and no dings etc, they threw in $300 more. All that care added up to squat. I'm glad I enjoyed myself doing it (controlling the condition of my car's paint!).

So you have to ask yourself why bother with extreme concours-level detailing practices? Asking if a CA duster damages paint is a bit extreme, huh?

The car is depreciating like a stone and no amount of *extreme* care to the paint (or interior) is gonna stop that.

If your paint looks less than perfect after three or four years of careful (not obsessive) maintenance, then polish the clearcoat for the first time.

My point: listen to what these concours-level aspirant detailers have to say and then adapt their suggestions to your car maint. program in any reasonable way you want.

In the end, with a modest amount of..., ahem..., "concours level" maintenance practice, when you trade it in five years or look at it in ten years 99 percent of onlookers will see the car's paint condition as "excellent."
Old 06-21-2006, 02:59 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent point MMD. Unless you truly enjoy the detailing process, you are not going to save any big money in the future. I've used a CA car duster on several different cars (dark colors) and have never seen damage. Perhaps at the molecular level, but I really don't care too much about that.

If you are going to use the car as it was intended, you've got to expect a little wear and tear.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:50 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD

The car is depreciating like a stone and no amount of *extreme* care to the paint (or interior) is gonna stop that.

If your paint looks less than perfect after three or four years of careful (not obsessive) maintenance, then polish the clearcoat for the first time.

My point: listen to what these concours-level aspirant detailers have to say and then adapt their suggestions to your car maint. program in any reasonable way you want.

In the end, with a modest amount of..., ahem..., "concours level" maintenance practice, when you trade it in five years or look at it in ten years 99 percent of onlookers will see the car's paint condition as "excellent."

MMD,

Your point is well taken. I don't think the reason we are compulsive about it is because we try to maintain the value of the car. You are right, the dealer would care less about it at trade in. I think it is a matter of our personality and the joy of driving around in that "concours level" car EVERY time it leaves the garage.

I know for me, when I walk by a similar car with that extra shine, I want my car to get to that level...Hell, I like washing dishes for the same reason!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:09 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

The answer is http://www.kozak.com/item-kozak_cloth.htm There is no substitute!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

"Hell, I like washing dishes for the same reason!!!"

Report to my house immediately!!!!

I got a sink full of dishes that need to be brought back to concours shine
Old 06-22-2006, 11:18 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor
The answer is http://www.kozak.com/item-kozak_cloth.htm There is no substitute!
Have you used this product for a long time? I find it hard to believe that it won't scratch the paint. a quote from the site " Knock out the pad frequently against the palm of your other hand while using and before refolding. This helps to release the loose, heavier dirt from the napped fibers, leaving only very tiny particles that act as a polishing agent, similar to the effect of a fine jeweler's rouge. Thus the cleaning and polishing performance in one cloth." That could not be good for your paint.

Quick Reply: Is there a way to Remove Dust Without Washing/Detailing?