Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera 4s or Carrerra S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006 | 10:39 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cincy2
From the quick and thoughtful responses I can tell this is a great forum and great people to be associated with. I'll keep you in the loop as I traverse the buying experience.

I'm leaning heavily towards the 2WD and using the price differential to upgrade the interior and get the ceramic brakes.
I might sound like a "pimp my ride" kind of guy, but I would opt for the GT3 aero kit rather then ceramic brakes. Even though Porsche AG did alot of improvement on the second generation, I have herd too many horor stories and feel reluctant about PCCB.

My dream car would be a white C2S with either sea blue or cocoa leather, full carbon trim and GT3 aero kit.

Good luck and to each is own.
Old 06-19-2006 | 11:45 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

As much as I love my C4S - wide hips, AWD and all - if I lived in FL I would seriously consider a C2S with the X51 Powerkit.

That being said, I love the way the C4S looks and wouldn't trade the car for anything...

Sorry, not much help from me. <g>

-don
Old 06-20-2006 | 10:33 AM
Bullet
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD
I'm still not sure why guys get the PCCBs.

Yes, for tracking the car they are a good idea but extremely costly.

Margin for safety is greater the faster you go; but I wonder if with my average speed (40, 50 mph) they really make a difference.

I guess for "normal" street use they'd serve me for slamming them on when my radar detector pops off.

Help me understand: Considering the significant cost (some would say "huge" cost), why DO guys get PCCBs? Thanks
The ceramic brakes don't really provide better braking, just less fade after repeated braking. Perhaps more importantly, they significantly reduce the unsprung mass of the car and improve handling as well.

But I agree that if you are not tracking the car regularly, there probably are better things to spend your money on.
Old 06-20-2006 | 10:34 AM
Bullet
Instructor

I like the idea of using the cost savings on a C2S to get the X51, which includes sport exhaust. That would be a helluva car.

-B
Old 06-20-2006 | 03:14 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bullet
I like the idea of using the cost savings on a C2S to get the X51, which includes sport exhaust. That would be a helluva car.

-B
I thought of that as well when ordering the one I've got coming. But, the price difference between the C2S and the C4S is just $5700... powerkit was $16,900.

I decided to make up the extra $5700 of the C4S by skipping the expensive paint and leather that I was dreaming of (slate and terracota) and just going with leather seats ( I have no problems with the non-leather dash and doors ).

After stewing it for freaking weeks, I came to the conclusion that a C4S with the power kit, $815 paint and basic interior with a splash or two would be ONE HELL of a car as well as a rare ride well worth keeping.

So, after 16000+ miles on a RIGHTOUS C2S, I went with the C4S after the test drive as I could not feel any difference in the way the car turned in at aggressive speeds.

Either way, C2S or C4S, you win.
Old 06-20-2006 | 03:29 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CL55fornow
hey cincy2
i just jumped out of a CL55 to a C4s cab... i drove both back to back and i liked the stability of the 4 over the 2.... i live out east so i bought the 4 just so i cen get a little more out of it during the colder months, the wider body and the extra grip when u need it are worth the premium... when its dry out i think 80% of the power goes to the rear wheels anyway.. so for me it was the best of both worlds...

either way you'll be a happy camper, the fit and finish was far superior to MB as was the service i've been getting to date
Under normal driving conditions it's 95% rear wheel drive.
Old 06-20-2006 | 04:24 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

For Florida....definitely the C2S Cabrio. I do like the wide hips (on my cars), but the prodigous grip of the C2S will more than cover you.
Old 06-20-2006 | 05:26 PM
CJC
Instructor

I live in Florida as well and this
is my 3rd 2wd Porsche. The 997C2S
is by far the best of the three. Heavy
rain no problem and I mean no problem.
The only caution is always be aware of
rear tire tread wear. Had an appointment
for a rear tire change on a Monday for my
996 and on the Saturday before got caught
in a good old Florida downpour. Florida downpours
and tires down to wear indicators are not a good
combo. Hydroplaned for a couple of hundred feet
a wake up call for sure.Common sense stuff.
Fresh to 85% worn tires heavy rain no problem at all.
Go for the 997S.
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:28 AM
1Carnut
Pro

I just bought a C2S Cab (my 39th Porsche) and all but 5 were rear drive. I think everyone has their own reasons and opinions on this, but I think AWD is not for sports cars.
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:29 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I just bought a C2S Cab (my 39th Porsche) and all but 5 were rear drive. I think everyone has their own reasons and opinions on this, but I think AWD is not for sports cars.
Only 39 Porsches, what do you know?
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:53 AM
snarf
Instructor

I live in the UK and although the majority of the 997s I've seen here have AWD I decided to use my budget on those options I will get to appreciate every time I get into the car, not just on those very rare occasions (for me) when AWD and PCCBs would mean that I could drive with a touch more flourish.
Old 06-21-2006 | 03:43 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
As much as I love my C4S - wide hips, AWD and all - if I lived in FL I would seriously consider a C2S with the X51 Powerkit.
I live in Central Florida and use the AWD just about everyday in the summer. With my last 911 and M3 I would have to be careful powering away from a sharp corner or at a light. That is why I chose my 997 C4S. I love making a sharp turn onto a wet road and turning the PSM off and just laying down the hammer. Using the AWD to get the traction you need is alot more fun that having PSM spoil your foward momentum by modulating the brakes and retarding throttle inputs.
Old 06-21-2006 | 05:00 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Wink

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Plus, you do lose some of the legendary 911 handling feel due to added weight in the nose...C4 feels more like a front motored car.
Some days I can ignore stupidity like this, but today isn't one of those days. I don't think I've ever flamed really bad on rennlist, but I will this time.

Chris, you simply don't know what you are talking about. What, did you drive a C4 once? Was it a 997?

If you are going to make outrageous statements you at least need to quantify it correctly (yeah, I know I've been slammed by Rob for this myself ). The C4's still have the engine in the rear and it is near impossible for most people to detect when power is being transferred to the front wheels via a drive shaft. The amount of added weight and components on the front of the 997 is slight (I've read reports from as little as 35 lbs to as much as 100 lbs), and SIGNIFICANTLY much less than if you took the engine and put it over the front wheels.

What I think Chris intended to say was that he believes the C4 has more understeer than a C2 along with a heavier feel. That is a fair statement and true to some degree. It can be mitigated by turning PSM off and engaging sports mode, but if you leave full assists on then a C2 will have decreased understeer.

I'll also add another few bulleted items to Coochas list of reasons to get a C4 or C4s:

* You prefer to have tandem brake boosters that prefill when you release the gas quickly and brake assist for superior braking performance than a C2 or C2s (which is offset to some degree by the added weight of the C4 & C4s)

* You live anywhere on the planet, even the dessert where it never rains and there are two lane roads with hairpin curves in them. The added traction the C4 & C4s provide will lower your odds of drifting the backend in to a degree which the rear tires could potentially end up in the other lane or off the road in a ditch. Granted, the liklihood of the advantage being apparent between the two with all assists off is almost none, but with them on the C4's will have an advantage.

With respect to the legendary feel, I'd be happy to go out to the track with anyone in a stock 997 C2s and show them that I can hold a rear end drift on my 997 as long as they can when all assists are off (although you provide the tires <g>).
Old 06-21-2006 | 11:33 PM
Bullet
Instructor

After seeing JohhnyNarcosis' avatar, I can think of nothing else anymore.

-B
Old 06-22-2006 | 12:09 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

What I meant to say, RonMart, is exactly what I did say, thank you. Sorry, I wasn't being literal but geez...bad day?

The AWD cars have more weight (121 lbs acc to Porsche, but some of that IS in the body) and a drive train in the nose. They typically will feel more "planted" up front compared to a RWD, as the front wheels are always driving, affecting the "feel" of the car. According to Porsche "At least 5 percent of drive torque is applied to the front wheels at all times. Under daily driving conditions, the average rear/front torque split is approximately 65/35"

Of course it is still a rear engine and I'll agree a comparison to a front engine is a bit extreme (taken literally), but in my experience test driving with numerous friends that's the way they usually describe it.

Now if it wasn't early and before my 3rd cup o joe I should have qualified that my experience is street and track in 993s and 996s, so you may be right that the 997 is a completely new experience. Mea culpa. (I will confirm just to report back empirically)

The rear engine feel I was referring to has little to do with whether you can hang the tail out, although I can see how that's a fair interpretation. To me it's been about normal assertive transitions on the street, just feels less agile and the front is less darty. Why some people I know prefer the C4S models.

The steering does lose a little of it's feel. It's small but the difference is there. I won't touch the understeer thing because it tends to set off those for whom performance AWD is a religion, although personally I don't disagree with your comments above.

There was no judgement implied in my opinion, it was just my experience based on 10 years of driving rear engine cars. Can't say the same for your contribution, but my apologies for not being more explicit.

Last edited by Chris C.; 06-22-2006 at 12:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Carrera 4s or Carrerra S?