Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMART TOP--GROUP BUY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:09 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received the email with the answer.

With one touch on the button the top goes down and that's it.
With double click on the button the top goes down and the windows go up.

Sounds great. I am ordering one now.

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
The only question I still have is whether, on the one touch roof open, does it automatically roll up the windows once the roof opens...in the same manner as if you continue to hold the switch, or does the roof retract and leave the windows in the down position (which I prefer)...or is this user-adjustible?

I hate 'guessing' when the roof is fully down and often need to wait until the windows nudge up a bit (to be sure the roof is fully retracted) and then i re-lower the windows. I hope, in addition to all the other features, that the one touch roof retraction can be set to NOT roll up the windows automatically.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:58 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent!!! That is worth the price of admission alone!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 01:47 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Mine arrives tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to finally:

A. Knowing my car is locked because I hear it beep.
B. Not accidentally opening my f**king trunk and unlocking my doors as soon as I sit down to eat dinner.

Everything else is just gravy!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:19 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait to be able to open or close the top with one touch. Don't have to decide whether to finish opening the top from a start at the traffic light or shift into second gear or grow a third hand.

Silversteel, thank you for getting us the discount.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:13 PM
CarreraS06
Intermediate

I was traveling for two weeks and didn't check the forum. An hour ago I found out about smart top and I just place my order. I hope this works for everybody.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:13 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

I got my doohickie delivered by UPS today.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:26 PM
humbug
Advanced

For those of us still waiting for our "doohickie", please post how the install went and any advice or tips during install. I looked at the instructions (on their web site) and was not clear about what needs to be disconnected from the "ball and socket joint" when the top is partially up.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:13 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

I didn't install it yet. I looked at the instructions (that came with it) and was not clear about what needs to be disconnected from the "ball and socket joint" when the top is partially up.

Seriously. I am waiting for you guys. We bought together, and we either all succeed or we all go down together.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:50 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ame546
I never even considered buying this mod, LOL
Me either! I figured WTF, who needs one more gizmo?

Then I saw the "Group Buy" and said, "sh*t, if all these guys want one, I should get one too".

Now I see you're all buying cuz' I did.

No, we're worse than crackheads, we're compulsive Buyers!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:23 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

OK. I could not wait for you guys. After all, I paid $25 bucks to get it overnight (so I only really got an $80 discount or something like that!!!)

Installation was a breeze. Here are some tips:

1. In the first step when you partially open the roof, follow the instructions so that the roof flap (the flap has the rear window in it) is just resting on the carpet area - just like the instructions say. You can partially move the roof back and forth a bit in each direction and you'll see where the flap is too high or too low and then when its perfect it sits on the carpet "just right".

2. The whole ball and socket thing is a breeze. You can visibly see really easily the two steel cables with the ball / socket thing (one on each side of the roof flap). The ball is attached to the car frame and the socket is on the cable itself. Just wiggle the socket and pull at the same time toward the middle of the car (i.e., toward the ball/socket on the other side) and it pops right off easily.

3. Here is TIP #1: You fold the roof flap up once its unhooked to get it out of the way - but it wont "stay up", i.e., it falls back down and in your way. So, you need to close the roof a bit at this point and then flip up the panel and it will stay put. BUT only close the roof "a bit" so the panel stays up without falling because later you need to re-attach the sockets and if you go too far it will be hard to re-attach. I did not want to try moving the roof again after install of the doohickie because it would automatically close the roof completely (after all, that's the point, right?).

4. Once you get that flap out of the way, you need to remove the black plugs holding the carpet. Just use a flatblade screwdriver and gently nudge them out.

5. Here is TIP #2: When the instructions show that you simply fold that carpet area back, that is bung. You need to basically pull the ENTIRE carpet back. So, you need to do the following (look closely at what you do so you can duplicate when you tuck it all back in):

A. After you follow the instructions to start, GENTLY pry the carpet back from behind the two black plastic coin-holder looking black pieces (one on each side).

B. Working slowly, GENTLY follow the circumference of the carpet on each side all the way toward the rear of the carpet. You need to GENTLY wedge and pry and twist and "work it" to release the perimiter of the carpet so you can pull the entire thing up. Don't freak out. It just takes "caressing". You'll see what I mean when you do it. It's not hard, just takes some "caressing".

C. Once you have it loose all around, pull the carpet back. I had my 8 year old daughter then "hold it back" so I could go to work on the installation part of the instructions.

6. The actual installation was easy. Removing the cable, then pluging it into the module, then plugging the module back into the controller was simple.

7. I did the optional velcro strap. There is a philips screw to loosen the controller unit, you slide the strap in, then tighten up the controller again. It was simple.

8. Put it all back together in reverse order. Work SLOWLY on the replacement of the carpet, making sure all the little flaps and stuff on the carpet are all tucked back in like it was before. Look over your work slowly around the entire perimeter to make sure its perfect.

SO?

So it works PERFECTLY!!!!!!! It is SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did no programming yet so I think all the features are enabled. You can then tailor to taste. I did not try programming yet.

Did I say it works PERFECTLY????!!!!

If you have questions during your install, I will try my best to answer. BTW, it took me under 30 minutes working very slowly.

Adam
Old 06-22-2006, 01:54 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Adam for the step by step!

I ordered mine yesterday (Tuesday) and have yet received the tracking number I believe they are in San Diego, hopefully the UPS truck will stop by tomorrow??!!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:05 PM
brickster
Intermediate

also once you learn how to easily remove the ball from the socket on each side, you will find it is by far the easiest way to clean the inside of the back window. apparently same trick works on the 996. as for as moving the top once the ball and socket is out, i did not need to but maybe i got lucky that i hit the right spot. there is a caution in the instructions not to use the top before the ball and sockets are replaced but i suspect that relates to full movement and not partial movement of the top.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:42 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Brickster is right... you must use care. But I think small movements are ok. However, DO NOT OPERATE THE ROOF WITHOUT THE SOCKETS ENGAGED once the module is in, as this will completely open or close the roof by design of the module, so you will not be able to control the small movements (until you learn how to practice small movements using the keyfob and roof controls per the operating instructions on the module).
Old 06-22-2006, 01:47 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Installation was a breeze. Here are some tips:
Awesome Adam - thanks for the tips! I'm a bit nervous, so this helps.

I'm going to take a bunch of pictures while I do it so I can see how to put things back.

I'm hoping mine arrives early enough today that I'll be able to install it this afternoon and get pictures up here later today. If not, it might have to wait until the weekend.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:28 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

You guys are killin' me. I go on a business trip and 1080 leap-frogs me paying the 25 smakeres to get it early. Man, great instructions on the install. I really appreciate you posting your comments which will save all of us some trouble. I generally read the directions after I f-it-up. I get home tomorrow and plan to jump right on it. This is great.

Quick Reply: SMART TOP--GROUP BUY!!!!