Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use the Mr Clean autodry carwash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:10 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use the Mr Clean autodry carwash?

I bought it last weekend and washed my car with it. Worked fairly well, washed all three of our cars with it. The last step where you spray a fine mist of filtered waster is the most important, if you dont cover the car completely water will bead up.

Just curious if anyone else washes their car this way? I personally like it because I can wash my car in less than 5 minutes - minus the autodry part.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:17 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Yah, Kurt - I had one last season. Seemed to work pretty well, as you say... the rinse side is the best part; the wash side was pretty weak.

However, after the second cartridge change, the body started leaking pretty badly. I couldn't see a simple way to fix it, so... recycle bin.

I've seen posts from Deanski touting a foam gun, and have looked at Griots and other deionizers... I think that I'm going to need one of each. The Mr Clean looked good at the price point, but it certainly didn't hold up for me.

I hope your experience is better!

-don
Old 06-16-2006, 12:08 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Yah the plastic body of the whole thing feels pretty cheap, I doubt it will last me over a year unless i'm real careful. And as the mist part is the most important you gotta replace that filter every 3 washes. If you or anyone else knows some good autodry solutions can you post here? I hate drying, just like to wash and forget... comeback 5mins later and ready to roll!
Old 06-16-2006, 12:54 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

funny drying is the only part of washing i like...
Old 06-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Yah the plastic body of the whole thing feels pretty cheap, I doubt it will last me over a year unless i'm real careful. And as the mist part is the most important you gotta replace that filter every 3 washes. If you or anyone else knows some good autodry solutions can you post here? I hate drying, just like to wash and forget... comeback 5mins later and ready to roll!
Get a couple of nice microfiber waffle weave towels and you'll have it dry in no time. You could also consider getting a California water blade to get rid of excess water before drying (but be careful -- if you get a piece of dirt on it and drag across the paint, you'll be sorry).
Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Mr. Clean

Yes it does work do a degree. Even the "PRO" one is OK at best.

Foam guns like the ones you can get at Autogeek as well as others work very well in generating a heavy foam layer which helps in both removal of the dirt and lubrication to avoid scratches from it dragging on a finish. A good sheepskin mitt with the foam and a rinse bucket for the mitt works quite well.

It also can generate a powerful stream to help in those tuffer areas.

If you like the "autodry" process from Mr Clean, then you may want to look into same type of filters for the spigot to accomplish the same thing only better. Griots has one and your local THD (The Home Depot) has filters as well. Some magazines also have ads with these mobile filters too. Expensive? YES, but worth it if you wash often.

For drying, since the area is wet, a Toro leaf blower and a WW microfiber work well. I have a "water blade" but will not use it. Too great of a chance it may trap something and drag it over the finish. A WW towel will more than likely grab any leftover dirt/dust that could normally damage a finish. I shake them out and fold them as well. I have several just in case I drop one or feel something that may scratch.

Like always, wash in the shade. Just a few minutes out in the sun can turn a normal wash into a nightmare.

If using a hose, I have one that has a shutoff valve attached to another part of a hose that has no brass ends, just bare hose to flood the area and sheet off the foam/dirt. I can switch to a "firehose" type gun for any light misting or heavy spray needed for under the car.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-16-2006, 11:42 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Deanski
If using a hose, I have one that has a shutoff valve attached to another part of a hose that has no brass ends, just bare hose to flood the area and sheet off the foam/dirt. I can switch to a "firehose" type gun for any light misting or heavy spray needed for under the car.

Regards,
Deanski
Awesome idea, Dean. You definitely have this down to a science - thanks for sharing!

Also, thanks for the leaf blower idea - does a fine job of drying the car. I cut a piece of furnace filter and taped it on to the blower intake to keep the crap out; and I flood the floor. Now I have a new floor-flooding method...

-don
Old 06-16-2006, 12:39 PM
MMD
Banned

I have a personal policy not to buy anything advertised on TV.

Mr. Clean CW looks like 85% gimmick and 15% science.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:38 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

I guess you've never seen any Porsche commerical on TV
Old 06-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow the link and try auto wash deionizier. http://www.watersticks.com/cwdi.htm
I get that a couple of weeks ago and it works good. The only bad thing is it only produce deionized mist instead of with strong water flow. I also try Mr. Clean but it did not work too well. It leaks after a couple uses.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Awesome idea, Dean. You definitely have this down to a science - thanks for sharing!

Also, thanks for the leaf blower idea - does a fine job of drying the car. I cut a piece of furnace filter and taped it on to the blower intake to keep the crap out; and I flood the floor. Now I have a new floor-flooding method...

-don

You're welcome! Those foam gun do work quite well. They can be purchased through Autogeek, Properautocare and other sites. Then, it's a matter of finding a good soap and how much to dilute by to produce the amount of foam you want.

Leaf blower covered with a filter meida is a great idea! Never can be too careful when using these. Someone used an air compressor, which I pointed out that even with a good to excelent dryer inline, you're still going to get air and water or worse oils out of the gun. Compressed air only works if you have serious filters used for a clean room, then you know the air is dry and free of any oils. You'd be suprised how much compressor oil gets through!

Go ahead and get a foam gun! Why do you think drive-through washes use foam? Lifts dirt off w/o scratching. A good soap will loosen it enough for a strong stream to rinse off the dirt.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-16-2006, 02:18 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MMD

Well it does work but the question is for how long, the entire body is plastic and the part you attatch to the hose looks as if it could easily break off.

If you yank on it too hard, like when your hose gets caught underneath the tire and you dont know it... give it a good yank and I bet it's bye-bye Mr. Clean
Old 06-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it does work but the question is for how long, the entire body is plastic and the part you attatch to the hose looks as if it could easily break off.

If you yank on it too hard, like when your hose gets caught underneath the tire and you dont know it... give it a good yank and I bet it's bye-bye Mr. Clean

Also, you will get yourself ALL WET
Old 06-16-2006, 02:33 PM
MMD
Banned

The other thing to consider is the cost-per-wash is probably obscene. Consider the time spent buying, setting up, figuring out, and putting it away; not to mention the cash outlay. The effort involved in drying the car by hand yourself which guarantees the best possible job seems like the best idea.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:49 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

The "special" soap they recommend can be any good quality car wash soap. The only thing I have to buy from them is the Mr Clean filter.

So its not an expensive setup and it's quick to get going, I figure I'll use it till I break it Then buy something like you guys suggested

Quick Reply: Anyone use the Mr Clean autodry carwash?