Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodies for Changing Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The aluminum Porsche wheel hanger comes with the stigma of low price ($10), while the prices of the heavy aftermarket hangers are more in line with what we expect to pay for a metal stick with threads on one end. Rolf's $1.50 solution is disgraceful; and it involves menial labor!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger
You absolutely need these when changing wheels but you don't have to spend $ 60 .

Buy two metric bolts ( 14 mm x 1.5 mm pitch x ~ 5 in. long ) for $ 1.50 each,
cut the bolt heads off and wrap some tape around the ends.
Takes 5 min. with a hack saw and works great .
Great idea.

But to do the job right use a grinder to round out the cut end, or better yet make a tapered end to make it even easier to locate the hole over the pole.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:25 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
The aluminum Porsche wheel hanger comes with the stigma of low price ($10), while the prices of the heavy aftermarket hangers are more in line with what we expect to pay for a metal stick with threads on one end. Rolf's $1.50 solution is disgraceful; and it involves menial labor!
Disgusting! Sooooooo uncivilized!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
Great idea.

But to do the job right use a grinder to round out the cut end, or better yet make a tapered end to make it even easier to locate the hole over the pole.
I just wound some plastic elect.insulating tape around the bolts
and several layers at the ends .
It workes great and prevents any accidental scraping .
Besides, I will probably only use them max. once a year ?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 217 Posts

I put this in my "C4S Emergency Wheel" thread but thought I'd put it here as well for completeness.

I made a small bag of goodies which fits behind my spare tire in the bottom of the boot (this works because the spare is inserted ‘lying backwards’ to accommodate the smaller C4S boot space). The goodies (see pic below) include:
-Porsche wheel lock
-wheel hanger from Boothe www.boothedesign.com <-NICE STUFF!
-“soft socket” from Boothe
-Craftsman torque wrench
-Giant plastic bag for flat tire
-Knee Pads (to change tires, not to get a promotion)
-Gloves (to keep my hands pretty)
-Porsche tire gauge ($26, Suncoast)
-Speed Yellow Flashlight (Craftsman)

Assorted goodies for emergency use:

Spare tire, tool kit, bag of “goodies,” and 1 qt Mobil1 - ALL fit in das boot!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Actually for ceramic brakes they recommend you use two. I have the regular S brakes and still bought two. They work great. Porsche actually has their own version of the wheel hanger but the Boothe version is much sturdier but about 4x more expensive too. Still I think the Boothe hangers are well worth the price for piece of mind when changing wheels and not worrying about dinging the rotors (in addition to saving old backs).
I remember reading about these "hangers" for changing wheels and it should be in the tool kit when you took delivery. I've yet to check for my hangers.

Seeing I too have PCCB's it's a damn small investment as opposed to a new rotor.

Looking into really cheap wheels/tires for winter storage since Porsche does not recommend jack standing it due to possibility of rust on exposed shock shafts, so now I'm looking for wheel/tires. I'll have to get these hangers just in case I cannot find my set.

Regards,
Deanski,
Dr. Shine
Old 06-19-2006, 11:32 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Deanski
Looking into really cheap wheels/tires for winter storage since
You're concerned about flat spots? Get large plastic bag. Fill with premixed concrete. Put a wheel/tire on the bag. Form a ramp so you can drive up onto it. Let concrete harden. Do this four times. Either drive up onto them or (maybe) lower from jacks onto them. The shape of the tire *without* weight will be the shape the tire maintains when weighted.

Quick Reply: Goodies for Changing Wheels...