Sponsored by:

on the fence

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 03:19 PM
DennisVR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on the fence

I've been dreaming of a 911 for quite awhile already. And before the end of this year i'm planning to replace my current car, and a 997 is a possibility.

The only thing that keeps me from making the decision is my fear for reactions of customers. Driving a 997 just weekends is not an option. These cars are made to be driven. And i want to enjoy it as much as i can. I plan to be very discreet but you can't always avoid that someone sees you driving.

So my question to you is: What are the usual reactions you get from customers that found out you drive a Porsche ? And how do you handle the situation ?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:24 PM
james4513
Intermediate

What's your job? Who are your customers? Can't offer an informed opinion without knowing that.

As a generalization, however, customers like to deal with successful people. A 911 is an indication.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:38 PM
The B
Racer

james4513 is right, and you may learn what preconceived notions people around you have about you professionally and personally. The Porsche will very likely be the proof they needed, one way or the other.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:46 PM
birdman
Instructor

I drove my 987 to work last year. The company owner made the comment he was paying me too much; within three months I was out of a job. So I got another job, significantly better than the last, and now have a 997! Just do it!
Old 06-11-2006, 04:47 PM
DennisVR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by james4513
What's your job? Who are your customers? Can't offer an informed opinion without knowing that.
oops, yes, makes sense.

I have 2 companies. One in real estate, the other in IT consulting. I'm not too worried about the real estate one. The customers for the IT consulting business are software houses, financial institutions, government, ... For those it's not only the customers themselves but also their employees that might feel negative towards someone driving a Porsche. Depending the location it's possible to park totally unseen, on other locations that might be abit more challenging.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:52 PM
DennisVR
Intermediate

I have to add, that all customers i worked for in the past are very happy with my services and i'm sure they will keep relying on me even if they see me arriving in a Porsche. But in the IT Consulting business you have a constantly changing customer base and need to proof yourself over and over again. It's the first impression that worries me most.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:56 PM
sunlion
Advanced

Do it. Most non porsche enthusiasts have no idea about these cars. They are all the same to them and all they see is PORSCHE, whether it be a 1980s 928 which is worth under 10K or a 1999 Boxster for less than 20K or a 997 for 80K. You'll get similar reactions with any luxury car so get the one you really want.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:56 PM
TheOldMan
Advanced

I would say a lot depends on where you live. There are some cities that driving a Porsche can cause problems with customers, in other cities, no one cares. Personally, I never drive my Porsche when I am meeting with customers. But if I lived in California, I would not think twice about it.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:03 PM
MMD
Banned

You drive a new Porsche and you send a complex message to onlookers involving conspicuous consumption, money, power-elite, luxury, success. There's no way to tell how individuals will react.

I think it is safe to say, in the jobs you describe, the reactions you get will probably retard your chances of success.

If you were, for example, a CEO or movie star hanging around country clubs ..., well..., it would be easier to predict and enjoy the probable reaction.

If you really want to impress new customers? ***Drive a hybrid!!!*** Everybody feels guilty about the environment and your example will, in the jobs you describe, definitely be favorable!!
Old 06-11-2006, 05:10 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The chances are high it could be a negative for some people.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:10 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I worried about that a long time ago, and concluded it didn't matter.
If your work is outstanding, your prices fair, and your personality humble, these factors will negate any other jealousy. If the first three aren't there, you're dead no matter what you drive.
Being seen as successful can be as big a plus as minus. Important man should drive an important car.
I think you'd be worse off with a gigando pickup dualie, a Hummer, or a Kia.AS
Old 06-11-2006, 06:49 PM
vitman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that it shows that you are successful at what you do. However, you might want to tone down the color, etc. You may not want it too "jazzy". Overall, if someone doesn't give you the business because they don't approve of your car choice, they may not be the type of customer you want to deal with anyway.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DennisVR
I have to add, that all customers i worked for in the past are very happy with my services and i'm sure they will keep relying on me even if they see me arriving in a Porsche. But in the IT Consulting business you have a constantly changing customer base and need to proof yourself over and over again. It's the first impression that worries me most.
Meh, if you're doing well enough to own a Porsche, then oubviously you do good work - I'd feel better about you than if you drove up in some old 81' mercedes diesel, hahaha (for example)
just do it man, who cares what other people think? It's your car and you should enjoy it, life is too short.
At the end of the day, it's your money.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Porky
Instructor

NIKE - JUST DO IT! If you live life pleasing others - there is no end to what they might want or expect. I have had my car spotted when I didn't want to and explained that I bought it because the resell is good! And it is! Here in Japan you will loose the same money on a Honda or Subaru as you will on a 997 over three years!
Old 06-11-2006, 08:36 PM
OldManIn911
Intermediate

I empathize with your situation. For years (before my retirement) I represented public entities.....and the car I drove DID make a difference. On one occasion I was even told by a client not to drive my Porsche to their building any more. I know of others in my same field who rented el cheapo cars if they needed to drive to a client's facility. As was earlier pointed out, it's not just the owner/boss you need to be concerned with, but the employees and, in the case of governmental agencies, every voter in the area. It's great to appear successful... but the reaction from many is "we're paying him too much money if he can drive that kind of car." Those of you who have suggested to just do what you want and to heck with what other people think, haven't worked in enviorments where perception IS important. And don't kid yourself... most people DO recognize Porsches as expensive cars, even if the car happens to be 15 years old. Perhaps my comments are valid only with regard to those who deal with governmental bodies or businesses that rely on public funding. As mentioned earlier it makes a world of difference what kind of business you're in. Fortunately, now in retirement, I can enjoy my Porsche without concern as to what people think.

Quick Reply: on the fence