Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on the fence

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno I don't get it, I would rather be myself then someone in a grey suit and a boring dark european sedan.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

It's true. People can have a house, 4 cars, 5 kids and a boat and still make comments like, " Nice car, wish I could afford one" and "You must make alot of money to drive a car like that" . It's jealousy pure and simple. Sales is a tough business to be in. Get the Porsche but don't drive it to the office. It'll probably get scratched or dinged there anyhow.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

then there's people like my dad, who has 5 kids, a great house, and a plane, and drives a crap car and people think he's living paycheck to paycheck, hahaha
Old 06-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Life is much too short to worry about what people think of your car. Their jealousies are not my concern. Nor am I concerned about what they have and I don't.

If someone told me not to drive my car because their employees were distraught over it, it wouldn't matter. Those employees should have worked their asses off like I did and earned the education and position I have earned over the years. So, do I ask them if it's okay to drive my F-250 Diesel? Or are my clothes to their satisfaction? How about my watch. It's a Rolex. Is that bad, or is it okay because it was a gift my Father gave me when I graduated from law school? Is it even okay that I went to law school (even though I worked two jobs while attending and paid for every penny of it myself) or shall I tell them I have my GED so they can feel better about themselves? How far do I go being what others want me to be?

I will not only have my C2S this week, but I have also ordered a personalized DMV plate:

DEALMKR

Yes, I am in a form of sales, and I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about the car or the vanity plate. I can afford this vehicle becaue I am very good at what I do.

I will be driving a car that makes several types of statements. That's fine, but I bought it because I fell in love when I started the motor. The driving experience was just icing on the cake. I will not give others the power to control what I purchase because of what they think or because of their inadequacies, whether perceived or actual.

BUY THE CAR , be true to yourself and your family and get off the fence. When you are gone, you will not have the chance to enjoy what you want to enjoy, whether we are speaking of this car or anything else.

Last edited by Dariof; 06-11-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:28 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I've had Benzes before and now the Porsche. People were more "put-off" by the M-B's than the P-car. Friends have actually said to me that it's less pretentious than the Benz; shows that I'm more of a car enthusiast rather than a poser. Moral of this story: you never can tell how people will view you, so f#%k what others think and enjoy the moment!...it's your life.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

you never can tell how people will view you, so f#%k what others think and enjoy the moment!...it's your life.
Exactly.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:51 PM
rzundel
Instructor

Nothing to hide about driving a Porsche. People buy from successful people. If it is going to be a daily driver you just don't want to go with anything too over the top in terms of configuration.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:46 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I am also in Sales/Marketing and I wouldn't drive my Porsche to see a customer. Why? Customers always think sales are work on commissions and commissions always mean markup and markup means higher price and... well you get the idea.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:58 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

If you're doing well enough to buy a new 997, you should be able to afford another "low profile" car for daily commuting.

Based on my own experience, a Porsche will definitely antagonize some clients.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:21 AM
DennisVR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
If you're doing well enough to buy a new 997, you should be able to afford another "low profile" car for daily commuting.
I've considered that, but as i've said, i want to enjoy this car as much as possible. Buying a 2nd car i don't enjoy as much feels like a complete waste of money to me.

My best option sofar seems to be to either buy a more discreet car like a BMW(quite common overhere and better accepted, although some people will always comment) or go for the 997 and be super discreet about it, park it out of sight.

Thanks for the input sofar
Old 06-12-2006, 07:54 AM
snarf
Instructor

Originally Posted by sunlion
Do it. Most non porsche enthusiasts have no idea about these cars. They are all the same to them
I totally agree, most will have limited knowledge of the value of your Porsche, and even in the unlikely event of a direct question you could always restrict your reply to base price - no need to explain about all those options you'll undoubtably want once you've read a few more rennlist threads.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:01 AM
tbill
Racer

As Dariof has stated, one cannot allow others to dictate how we live. I reside in a small town of 3000, have a retail business and I'm postive that my driving of Benz's and P-cars has cost me sales. But if I drove a Chevy and my net profit was $20,000-$30,000 more per year what would I spend it on. I would want a P-car, but distraught because I could not buy it, because of what my customers might think. This way I'm enjoying my 911, Cayenne and others even though I'm still concerned what others think, but not enough to buy a Chevy or live in a one bedroom house instead of a three, etc. As long as one is humble about our toys I see nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of our labor.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

It can cause problems with insecure folks, unfortunately. I've been in the same situation with clients and co-workers. With gov't agencies especially strive for a nonchalant arrival, don't allow it to become an issue. In private sector sales there is no reason to apologize for it-- think about it, you wouldn't want to be surrounded by vanilla personalities and ideas all day long..work it to your advantage. Don't be hesitant to discuss the car or take a client for a joyride if they express genuine interest in the unusual car. I have successfully neutralized petty envious attitudes in the past by brushing off the tacky "hey, big money" comments with "well, I worked twelve years for this car, if I lasted 10 years in this business I told myself I'd get the Porsche..." type of reply.

Make it a non-issue by presenting yourself as a good person as you would anyway, more interested in getting to work on the clients' needs than in talking about their hang-ups with beautiful sports cars. As long as you don't come barrelling into the office park at 5000 rpm w/PSE engaged, Bose subs thronking out Pink Floyd's "money" at 90 dB. Park in a regular parking space, but park away from populated section of the lot to minimize chances of door dings.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

As long as one is humble about their toys I see nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of our labor.
You got it!!!!! People can have nice assets without being arrogant a**holes .
Old 06-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carbon_Ted
It can cause problems with insecure folks, unfortunately. I've been in the same situation with clients and co-workers. With gov't agencies especially strive for a nonchalant arrival, don't allow it to become an issue. In private sector sales there is no reason to apologize for it-- think about it, you wouldn't want to be surrounded by vanilla personalities and ideas all day long..work it to your advantage. Don't be hesitant to discuss the car or take a client for a joyride if they express genuine interest in the unusual car. I have successfully neutralized petty envious attitudes in the past by brushing off the tacky "hey, big money" comments with "well, I worked twelve years for this car, if I lasted 10 years in this business I told myself I'd get the Porsche..." type of reply.

Make it a non-issue by presenting yourself as a good person as you would anyway, more interested in getting to work on the clients' needs than in talking about their hang-ups with beautiful sports cars. As long as you don't come barrelling into the office park at 5000 rpm w/PSE engaged, Bose subs thronking out Pink Floyd's "money" at 90 dB. Park in a regular parking space, but park away from populated section of the lot to minimize chances of door dings.

There are always ways to neutralize the petty jealousies. Many of my clients have far more than I do, but I still get the comments as well. Handle them tactfully, avoid being arrogant, have a good sense of humor, come up with a clever but respectful comeback (not attacking comeback...clever) and move on to the purpose of your visit.

Quick Reply: on the fence