Sponsored by:

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:44 PM
avdiscolo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction

My 997 C2S arrived in San Diego on 6/9. It's been a long 3.5 month wait since I placed the order, even longer 30 year wait since I first rode in the back seat of a 911 as a kid and knew this was the ultimate car for me. But it won't be long now before it arrives at my dealer in WA.

Here are the options:

2006 Porsche 997 C2S
X4 Speed Yellow
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
482 TPMS
640 Sports Chrono Package Plus
670 Navigation for PCM
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
M6A Black Mats - Porsche lettering
P77 Leather Sport Seats
XPA Thicker Sports Steering Wheel in Leather

Quick question: My son and I have a soccer tournament in Boise, ID at the end of the month (approximately 500 miles one way). Any reason why I couldn't drive instead of fly given I maintain reasonable break-in parameters?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:58 PM
MMD
Banned

congrats x 100!

IMHO, from what I gathered at BMW board, a 1000 mile trip with only two stone-cold-to-hot-to-stone-cold cycles is not the greatest way to break the engine in. Has to do with aluminum alloy crankcase "seasoning" by establishing a memory of expansion and contraction while other moving parts wear in. Therefore five 200 mile trips would be better. Then again nobody has confirmed this as BS or non-BS.

Nevertheless, I'd want to be shifting (widely varying engine speed and load) every five minutes (no kidding) during the trip; especially the first 200 miles. This much shifting might become very tiring on a long haul; whereas tooling around for fun and gradually accumulating miles would be muuuuch easier.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Congrats on your purchase - sounds like a good one - Speed Yellow is the best!
I see no reason why you shouldn't take the car on a long trip - just vary the speed a bit. I considered my car broken in at 1000 miles and it runs like a top.
ENJOY !!
Old 06-11-2006, 12:03 AM
TomFromCT
Instructor

Congratulations!! Nice options list. Black interior?

DRIVE IT to Boise. Considering the time needed to get to the airport early, security, getting baggage, etc., it will probably take longer door-to-door to fly than it will to drive. Plus you will have your new baby with you in Boise rather than some rental-mobile and be able to travel on your own schedule rather than the airline's.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm driving mine back from Cleveland to Las Vegas next week. 2,100 miles. It will be broken in when I get home, and I will change the break-in oil at that time. Then I'll drive it the way I want to.

Enroute I will alter the RPM's. I am also taking some smaller highways where I will be forced to slow down and speed up. I am also driving no more than 500 miles a day. Perfect.

Drive it...what a great adventure.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:53 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Congratulations! Nothing better than the first 911 after a 30 year wait (been there). I say drive it and enjoy a great time with your son. You might try to put some miles on before you leave, but I don't think it matters, other than I always vary RPM during the break-in period, i.e. don't get on the interstate and drive at constant speed/rpm for hours on end.

Enjoy!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:43 AM
avdiscolo
Advanced

Thanks, everyone.

Yes, black interior.

We will be in Boise for 4 days, during which time we will be going between the hotel and the tournament and whereever else we need to go. So, it won't be back-to-back 500mi drives. I will also have the car about a week before the trip, so I will be able to put some miles on it before we start.

Should I vary between 4th-5th-6th gear during the freeway stretches or do something else?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:54 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by avdiscolo

Should I vary between 4th-5th-6th gear during the freeway stretches or do something else?
That's what I like about non-expressway breakins: more frequent starting from a standstill.

On freeway stretches you'd vary from as low as you can go in sixth to 4200 rpm (max recommended) and sometimes over that, up to 5500 (IMHO).

Problem is to keep some kind of intermittant load on engine which is only achieved by acceleration (on level surface). Just cruising on the highway, at same rpm, merely overcoming wind and rolling resistance is not good.

again, just my us$.02
Old 06-11-2006, 06:24 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Take the car, particularly if you are sharing the experience with your son. He'll love it, remember it forever, and want to do the smae thing himself. It's only new once, so enjoy all the thrills. Personally, I think the break-in stuff is vastly overrated. Think of all the cars that have been driven in test drives. They get nailed to the redline before the engines are warm, much less broken in.
In my opinion, the best way to break in a car is with vigorous driving. Nobody ever wears one of these out. Just enjoy it. AS
Old 06-12-2006, 03:23 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

love that Speed Yellow! Take the car, I think the distance is perfect.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:16 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Congrats!! I think you found the perfect reason for not flying, break in part of those 2000 miles by driving to Boise!

By the way I had that 30 year itch too hehe! well actually was about 20 year itch for me, but I don't like to think about my age anymore

Off subject but why buy the 6-cd changer anymore? Now that the in-dash cd player can read mp3's we can fit about 200 songs on one 700mb CD-R+

From one new owner to another :

Enjoy every minute of your wonderful machine!

Quick Reply: Introduction