Sponsored by:

A/C Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 05:15 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C Issues

Well, it hit 92 degrees in Sunny Florida and my wife decided to take the Porsche to work while I was out on a business trip.

So, she just had to call me on the cell and started to complaint about my pride and joy... and the conversation when like this... the A/C unit is making funning sounds like Darth Vader and the A/C is not cooling at the lowest setting and at maximum fan speed. And I don't want you to blame me when you get back home.

I told her to take the P-car straight to the dealership and get the system check, so she did and this is what they found.

The Freon level was low and the mechanic tested the system with leak detection dye and found nothing wrong with the system. They told me that sometimes the P-cars are shipped with low Freon levels. So if you’re getting funny vacuum noises and low cooling you might have low Freon levels.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 290 Posts

My cab is a veritable icebox.

Love your avatar dude.

YoungTurk
Old 06-08-2006, 07:28 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

I've never heard of that happening. I could freeze your privates off in my car. By far the best ac a porsche has ever had.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

105 here a couple of days ago. Nice and cool inside the car.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:34 PM
djantlive
Drifting

AC on watercooled 911 are really cold. colder than most cars IMO.

Good thing the Freon is R134 and car is under warranty. Most likely, not enough freon was put in. If freon is low, don't run the AC as running the compressor with low freon will wear out the compressor faster. Freon is a lubricant.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:50 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by djantlive
AC on watercooled 911 are really cold. colder than most cars IMO.

Good thing the Freon is R134 and car is under warranty. Most likely, not enough freon was put in. If freon is low, don't run the AC as running the compressor with low freon will wear out the compressor faster. Freon is a lubricant.
Great information... thanks! The A/C feels very cold now and no Darth Vader noises!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:57 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have noises, but in my car 68 feels like 74 in my other cars.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Well, my air conditioner is back making Darth Vader noises and stop blowing cold air. The first time this happened the Porsche tech checked the system for leaks. However, the system showed no leaks, but it was very low on Freon.

This is the second ac issue, so it must be a very slow leak undetectable during the first leak test. Hopefully, the tracer color is still present in the system and it will be detectable the second time around. (fingers cross)

I have an appointment this Monday and will report back!
Old 09-15-2006, 02:40 PM
andre5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had mine worked on last week. The AC line to the condensor was loose and could not be re-attached. Also, the R134 was low. The dealer replaced the line and re-charged the R134. So far everything is working fine.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:47 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by andre5
I just had mine worked on last week. The AC line to the condensor was loose and could not be re-attached. Also, the R134 was low. The dealer replaced the line and re-charged the R134. So far everything is working fine.

Thanks... I'll mention the above issue to them.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:00 PM
dgwhitten
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had same low cooling problem with my 997 A/C in second summer of ownership. Dealer put in more Freon, and it is cooling reasonably well now, but certainly not freezing.
I do have a musty smell that they can't seem to find cause of.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:22 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dgwhitten
I had same low cooling problem with my 997 A/C in second summer of ownership. Dealer put in more Freon, and it is cooling reasonably well now, but certainly not freezing.
I do have a musty smell that they can't seem to find cause of.

Place various fans outside the doors on chairs and air-out the P-car. It seems you probably have moisture inside the car (take out the carpets and get them sun dry).

Once everything is dry, try and keep it dry...

Bottom line: Air out the P-car from the moisture/musty smell. Never clean your carpets inside the car. Clean the carpets outside the car and let them dry completely.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
I have an appointment this Monday and will report back!
Sooooo...? Where's the report, hu? I'm asking because today* I had the same experience as your wife (with regard to the car anyway). It was one of these rare days on which I had my top up because I was driving on the Interstate. I was on my way to Dallas when the a/c made Darth Vader noises and gave up cooling. Started sweating (95 degrees!), felt miserable, put top down, turned around and went to my dealer.

Apparently, I had no coolant left, but they could not find the leak either. So they filled up coolant and added dye. Now I'm supposed to see how things go. Great, quick service, though, no complaints. I was in and out in 45 minutes.

* 9000+ miles

Quick Reply: A/C Issues