Sponsored by:

Sirius Satellite in South Florida

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:39 PM
MHK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Satellite in South Florida

I recently ordered a CS4 Cab that has a July build date. I read on various posts the ability of third parties to install the factory Sirius Satellite. Does anyone know of an installer in South Florida that could do the work?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Sirius via PCM via Cayenne Kit

You can't work out the install with the dealer? It's a simple hookup into the MOST system network. You'll just have longer cables related to the fiber and antenna cable.

If you need more info, the post on this subject has detailed pics as well.

Satellite Thread

I even hear of a Champion Porsche being shipped to Danbury Porsche since they've done this install.

Or, have your dealer call Danbury and get the info how it's done...

Deanski
Old 06-07-2006, 11:41 PM
MHK
Instructor

Champion is where I am buying the car at. As you stated, they are shipping a car to Danbury. I originally asked them and they said they would not do it.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

You know, I never understood why some dealers are so unwilling to make money. OK, so Porsche NA has not "approved" of the install or make a kit just for the 997, it's what a customer wants!

I assume you've spoken to Jeff in service at Danbury. Also, did you aquire a kit yet? There was a rumor that Porsche got wind of this and pulled all kits off the in-stock listing to not avalible and will only release a kit if a VIN from a Cayenne is given.

Danbury Porsche does a wonderful job on this and you'll be happy as soon as you get it back. Due to the antenna being so low, there are drop outs now and then. More so under tree covered roads in the AM.

Good luck and keep us all posted!!!

Deanski
Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 AM
TomFromCT
Instructor

I have a C4 Cab on order through Danbury. I was told that PAG had placed all the kits on "permanent back order" and thus they could not tell me if or when they might be able to install sattelite radio in my new Cab. There is hope that perhaps PAG will make Sattelite radio on option on MY 07 cars, but no official word as yet.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Backorder

Originally Posted by TomFromCT
I have a C4 Cab on order through Danbury. I was told that PAG had placed all the kits on "permanent back order" and thus they could not tell me if or when they might be able to install sattelite radio in my new Cab. There is hope that perhaps PAG will make Sattelite radio on option on MY 07 cars, but no official word as yet.
Yes, that's what I hear. It seems PAG didn't like the idea of their dealers doing this "unapproved" installed option. The antenna for the kit is designed for the Cayenne and not the 997, therefore PAG has halted the avalibility of the kits.

However, I'm sure someone that has ordered or purchased a Cayenne will have the ability to get a kit simply by the dealer providing a valid VIN to PAG and a kit will be released. I really do not think PAG will stop Cayenne owners from obtaining that option.

As you well know, PAG moves at a snails pace to approve things like this. It has to go for approval from the team of lawyers, technical people and then the TIB has to be published. Last time someone got feedback from Germany, there was one responce that they are looking at the vendor who supplies the antenna to develop one for the sport cars. Who knows when this will all take place.

Who did you order your car from? I delt with Mike Killeen when I did my spec car! Great bunch of guys there! And the prep/detail center (Audi/VW) has some very talented guys to make sure the finish is top notch. My avatar was shot at the prep center.

Good luck on your order! The wait is worth it, trust me!

Deanski
Old 06-08-2006, 02:28 PM
TomFromCT
Instructor

Deanski,

I, too, ordered with Mike. Just yesterday he told me my car was scheduled for CHKPT8 on July 26, so I should see it sometime in mid to late August.

I saw your car in the Danbury prep bay before you took delivery. Quite a beast!!! I'm sure you are enjoying it. Also saw it at the Danbury Concours but with so many people milling about, I didn't know who belonged to the car.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:03 PM
loliver
Instructor

My car is at Suncoast right now having Sirius installed. It did take about 5 weeks before they got the parts. They arrived last week. Regarding the lond cables, Suncoast ordered or had made a fiberoptic cable of the proper length. I get the car back Monday and will let you know how it works.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TomFromCT
Deanski,

I, too, ordered with Mike. Just yesterday he told me my car was scheduled for CHKPT8 on July 26, so I should see it sometime in mid to late August.

I saw your car in the Danbury prep bay before you took delivery. Quite a beast!!! I'm sure you are enjoying it. Also saw it at the Danbury Concours but with so many people milling about, I didn't know who belonged to the car.
Oh you DID see it at the prep center? I had Armorglove put the film on there prior to delivery so it's fully protected. Thanks for the comment, yes it IS a beast and Mike was the one who was very excited to see it when it arrived as well. SO was everyone else, they've never had such a spec car before such as mine!

I was working on the car while at the Concours and speaking to a few people. I may have had on the yellow Porsche polo shirt on that day. Got quite a few comments that day. That's until it started to rain and it was every Porsche owner for themselves leaving! I was also up at Limerock when Danbury sponsored an event last month. Got to play with a Cayman S. Nice car!

I'd love to see yours when it comes in. Next time you speak to Mike, ask him about my car.

DOn't forget the K-40! Worth it when you have this type of car!

Deanski
Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Why would Champion ship the Car to Danbury for the install? They installed my XM thru the PCM and it is wonderful and the sound is awesome. I think someone is stretching some story.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:30 PM
MHK
Instructor

Who was your service rep that agreed to do the work? I want to call him.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:24 AM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default xm

call louis at champion, tell him m itchell lombard, sent you
Old 06-11-2006, 01:20 AM
MHK
Instructor

Louis happens to by my advisor as well..........
Old 06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
MHK
Instructor

Well, you were right. I caught up with Champion today. I am all smiles at the response.................
Old 06-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by royalpar1
Why would Champion ship the Car to Danbury for the install? They installed my XM thru the PCM and it is wonderful and the sound is awesome. I think someone is stretching some story.
Nope, it was fact that they were scheduld to ship the car. However, it stands that Champion will now do the work. Now if it's done via the Porsche techs or done by an "outside contractor" to avoid issues with PCA. Seems PCA is not quite happy with the idea of dealerships installing the Cayenne kit into 997 PCM cars. It's not approved by PCA as there is no TIB etc to go with. In some cases, those that had it done are voiding the PCM warranty through Porsche due to it not being "approved" yet. You would think that by letting dealerships do the install PCA gains more revenue from the sale of satellite kits to both Cayenne and 911 owners. This is typical PCA, if it's not "authorized" it should not be done.

I have heard dealerships doing it, but with outside vendors. Some dealerships just do not want to get involved in this. In fact, the customer has to order the satellite kit via parts department and once it's in, physically hand it to service for install. This way, service can always go on the statement "the customer requested for it to be installed" as opposed to a "option" as it is NOT listed as one for a 911 series.... YET. Porsche moves slow as we all know, so the option may come '07 builds or maybe not. The vendor who makes the antenna for the Cayenne is from what I read in a memo from Porsche, in development for the 911 series and maybe Cayman.

Bottom line, if a dealership parts department can get you one, get it now! And, if they agree to install it, HAVE IT DONE. Personally, I don't care who does it, so long as it works!

My kit works well, except in early AM when the satellite is low on the horizon or while driving under tree covered roads.

Enjoy the kit when it gets done!!

Deanski,
Dr. Shine

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite in South Florida